Anyone starting soon? January 20th or after.

Tina Beshears

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So to weigh in, I haven't been eating much fruit (2-3) pieces a week because it was my understanding that on Whole30 we weren't supposed to eat much fruit. Also I've not been very hungry either, but not just in the morning, all day. I'm eating, but I'm not constantly thinking about food like I used to. That's a plus!

Good morning everyone!  I feel pretty good today, but last night was really craving all kinds of junk.  I can't wait for that to dissapate!  Here's my food plan for today:

1:  3 eggs, 1/2 avocado, a few pineapple chunks, coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon

2:  Shepherd's Pie (again!), raw veggies with homemade ranch dip, strawberries

3:  Paleo Pad Thai tonight!  Yum, I'm really looking forward to this!  This is one of my faves, but I vary the recipe a bit from the WF cookbook. 

I also grabbed a banana, walnuts butter and some sausage for another meal if my day gets long or if I feel the effects of my workout this morning + the lighter breakfast that I had.  I really struggled to eat this morning, I just couldn't get anything down. 

TinaB - I love Shepherd's Pie also!  Obviously, as I am eating every day it seems!  LOL, I only have one dish of leftovers for tomorrow, then I should be on to something else!  I started making this with the Well Feed cookbook recipe.  Do you have that cookbook?  My copy is so well-loved and beaten up, it's like a raggedy-earred stuffed animal that your child carries around until he's 18.  LOL.  The WF recipe has lots of variations, but basically, I double/triple the veggies and do a beef-lamb combo. 

I brown up:

1/2 an onion, chopped

about half a bag of baby carrots, chopped

4 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 pound ground beef

1 pound groud lamb

1 tsp of dried rosemary

1/2 tsp of dried thyme

salt, pepper, and whatever else I feel like adding in. :)

After it's all browned up and the veggies are softened, I add in about a cup of beef stock and let it simmer until the liquid is all gone.  The I whisk up 3 egg whites and mix those in quickly and pour it into a 9x13 glass dish.  After that, I top it with a double patch of cauliflower "mashed potatoes", and sprinkle with paprika.  Then I bake it at 350 F for about 25-30 minutes. 

We've done this recipe many times, many ways, and sometimes during the week - but it's much easier on the weekends when we have more time.  The plus is that it makes a huge batch and we have lots of leftovers for lunches.  Paleo comfort food.  :)  I think you can get the original recipe on www.theclothesmakethegirl.com

I made a fritatta with 9 eggs and saute'd asparagus, red onion, mushrooms, kale, green bell pepper and about 2 1/2 patties of my homemade breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled.  Man was that good!  I cooked the veggies in 2 Tbls of coconut oil and clarified butter mix.  I ate 1/3 of it and will eat the rest tomorrow and Friday morning. 

I'm going to have veggies saute'd in olive oil and garlic for lunch with grilled chicken and a baked sweet potato with clarified butter for lunch.

Dinner will be left over beef stew with a big salad.

I will never buy another Lara bar again!  I totally used those things like they were candy bars!  While they weren't technically cheating, I don't like how I reacted to them and used them as a crutch.  I hate that!

Lulah!  I love my Cauliflower rice!  I think I'm a bit obsessed actually.  The first few times I made it, I thought, "Well, this just tastes like cauliflower.".  However, I've played with the recipes, and have come to the decision that it's the texture that I seem to love - it's really creamy and almost nutty, and it's got the texture of risotto to me. 

I haven't made the Nom Nom recipe that you posted, but that does look good.  I started with the Well Feed cookbook recipe, and then just improvised from there.  (I rarely follow recipes, which sometimes leads to disaster, but usually works out for my family!) 

I pulse batches of raw fresh cauliflower in my food processor until it's about as small as it'll get.  I usually do one head of cauliflower at a time.  Then, in a non-stick skillet, I heat some ghee or coconut oil or herb infused olive oil until it's med-hot.  Then, I dump in the "rice", sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.  After I see the edges of the rice starting to get browned, I dump in about 1/2-1 cup of coconut milk and just like risotto, I let it alone, just stirring occasionally until the cauliflower soaks up all the creamy coconut milk.  If it starts to brown, don't add more liquid, that's the good part - the nutty flavor comes from it getting a bit browned.  Right before it's done, I add some chives and parsely, and voila! 

It's a bit time consuming to process the florets, but I make one head and it usually lasts for about 4-5 breakfasts.  I eat it with sunny-side fried eggs and sausage, which was odd tasting to me at first, but now it's just good ol' comfort food. 

Good luck - I think there are endless variations to this recipe, and I know that Melissa from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com has great ideas that are undoubtedly better than my simple version! 

Michelle

Ladyshanny - Thank you so much for the hormorne info!  I really struggled to eat breakfast this morning, but I will absolutely keep working at it.  I also work out in the morning, so you would think that that would work up an appetite?  Maybe I need to work out harder!  LOL, just kidding.  I will keep trying! 

• Administrators

I made a fritatta with 9 eggs and saute'd asparagus, red onion, mushrooms, kale, green bell pepper and about 2 1/2 patties of my homemade breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled.  Man was that good!  I cooked the veggies in 2 Tbls of coconut oil and clarified butter mix.  I ate 1/3 of it and will eat the rest tomorrow and Friday morning. 

I'm going to have veggies saute'd in olive oil and garlic for lunch with grilled chicken and a baked sweet potato with clarified butter for lunch.

Dinner will be left over beef stew with a big salad.

I will never buy another Lara bar again!  I totally used those things like they were candy bars!  While they weren't technically cheating, I don't like how I reacted to them and used them as a crutch.  I hate that!

Sounds really good, your frittata!  And excellent to hear about the Larabar.  

Yikes!  Valentine's Day is coming!  My boyfriend was just talking about getting me chocolate.  I had to remind him that he can't.  There's a Valentine tradition at my house.  My daughter's BF would take her out for dinner and when he brought her home I would have chocolate covered strawberries ready for them for desert.  After I met Tracy we would make an awesome dinner together and then make the chocolate covered strawberries for desert.

I guess we'll be making them for him but maybe I'll try dusting plain strawberries for me with cocoa.  That might be a good alternative.  Or I'll just eat a few plain strawberries and call it done. :unsure:

One more day in.  Some Girl Scout Cookies showed up at my house yesterday. Love those little ones with coconut!  Happy to say I did not partake, and they are all gone now so the temptation is over.  Going to definitly try the cauliflour rice, sounds like a winner.

Mimahirn: Paleo Pad Thai??? where are you getting these recipies? That sounds great.  OK, 45 days it is.

Dave

Mimahirn: Paleo Pad Thai??? where are you getting these recipies? That sounds great.  OK, 45 days it is.

Dave

Hi Dave!  Yes, Paleo Pad Thai!  This one is a favorite of mine, by my husband doesn't like it as much as I do.  This recipe is from the Well Feed cookbook, but I believe it's on the www.theclothesmakethegirl.com website.  It was tricky the first time I made it, definitely a weekend type experiment recipe at first.  But, now I modified the recipe so it's easy-peasy during the week. 

Have you all tried Sunshine Sauce?  It's a main ingredient to the Pad Thai, but it's my favorite condiment ever.  It's made with sunflower butter, rice wine vinegar, garlic, lime juice, pepper flakes, etc.  You toss the sauce with some leftover chicken, zoodles or spaghetti squash, green onions, cashews, pea pods, and cilantro.  It's creamy lovely comfort food.  I adore it, and it's so filling.

Made it through my last two days. No cravings -- those died off realty quickly this time around. I did have indigestion yesterday afternoon. Another in a series like it. Terrible stomach ache followed by diarrhoea and then I'm fine again. Definitely nothing like my reaction to lactose. It's more like what used to happen to me when I had too much fat all at once. Could be that again, though I'm not sure.

ThyPeace, really empties me out. I feel skinnier today than I have in a long time, but this is not how I want to do it!

I managed to kill two food processors in two days. The first one isn't really dead (my 37-year-old Cuisinart) -- I just can't get the bowl off the base. It wouldn't click into place after sitting in a cupboard for more years than I can count. I tested to make sure the motor worked and it does. But the bowl wouldn't go on properly. So I took it off and scrubbed it and got rid of old dried oil and stuff (known in my family as schmutz) and tried again. It still wouldn't click into place and now I can't get it off, either. I was all revved to make olive oil mayonnaise and my NutriBullet doesn't have a way to drizzle the oil. Neither do my two small choppers with the motors on the top. 

Then I remembered the little Cuisinart mini-prep, which also hadn't been used in a long time (I like those choppers with the motors on the top for when I make guacamole and have too many things to chop serially -- hahaha, that makes me sound almost organized, which I definitely am not!). So I dragged out the mini Cuisinart, which does have a drizzle hole, put the egg and lemon juice in it to let them get to room temperature and gave one quick pulse to break the yolk, figuring that would help. Later, after I added the rest of the ingredients, I pushed the button and the thing was dead. DEAD. Would. Not. Start. So then I moved on to the Kitchenaid, which required washing the bowl because it had been a long time since I'd used it and it had dust and crumbs in it, along with all the attachments.

Eventually I did end up with some good mayo, and after putting most of it in a container and in the fridge, I mixed some wasabi powder in the dregs in the bowl and spread that on top of the salmon that was waiting to go into the broiler.

In the meantime, my fat diabetic cat thinks that when I'm in the kitchen, the only possible reason is to get his food. So he was yowling, in spite of having just eaten about an hour earlier. Even though this was not a "Kill All the Things" day, it really felt like it. As a friend told me, I was HANGRY. 

I also had a terrible time figuring out how to work the mandoline. On the third day I tried that, I finally was successful for the last two slices of my potato (I had done the rest with a kitchen knife). The next day my spiral slicer arrived (love Amazon Prime) and I made Zoodles.

I spent so much time standing in the kitchen on Monday, chopping, prepping, trying to get devices to work that wouldn't, that I woke up Tuesday with my back feeling worse than it ever has....and it usually feels really bad. I also made beef stew that isn't so great. I transferred it from the Crockpot to a four-quart Pyrex bowl and will be suffering through that until it's gone. I have to work tomorrow night and will be taking a big portion of that stew with me to eat there, and I think that when I get home I might grill a steak. I am a night owl, so there will be a number of hours between eating the steak and going to sleep.

And with that, I think it's about time for some shuteye. Since it's well after midnight, I'm officially on Day 11.

Hi, 10 days done Woohoo!!  Really, no complaints from me, I just have to make sure and eat enough at meal time to make it through to the next meal. I was in a hurray yesterday and didn't eat as much for breakfast as I have been so far, I was starving by lunch.

OK, so I do have the Well Fed2 book, so this weekend i'm going to try making cauliflour rice, and Mimahirn's famous Sunshine Sauce B) and try a few things that look tasty to have for Super Bowl.

Have a good one,

Dave

Today's challenge is that I am freezing.  i mean, seriously, I want to just climb into a hot whirlpool and stay for a week.  I got chilled in a meeting room today where the temperature was set too low and I wasn't able to move around any.  (8 hours in the same chair, good lord, haven't they heard of sitting killing you?)  So I am now freezing.  Apparently that makes me crave lots of hot food.  I'm making do with some almond butter and tea.

ThyPeace, wanted broth, but we're all out.

Today's challenge is that I am freezing.  i mean, seriously, I want to just climb into a hot whirlpool and stay for a week.  I got chilled in a meeting room today where the temperature was set too low and I wasn't able to move around any.  (8 hours in the same chair, good lord, haven't they heard of sitting killing you?)  So I am now freezing.  Apparently that makes me crave lots of hot food.  I'm making do with some almond butter and tea.

ThyPeace, wanted broth, but we're all out.

ThyPeace, I have heard that this happens when you're in fat burning mode, so embrace the cold, you're burning fat baby! :)

Okay, so last night was rough! I get so snacky at night, it's ridiculous.

Today was rough at work, but I didn't come home and have a glass of wine, so that's good!

1: cauli rice, sausage link, 3 eggs, half avocado

2: raspberries, veggies and dip, the last if the Shepherds pie

3: hamburger, salad, Brussels sprouts

It'll be a really busy weekend for me with not a lot of time to cook, but hopefully I'll get some simple meals prepped.

I managed to kill two food processors in two days.

Anne, your entire post made me laugh because it sounds like a Satuday at my house! I'm still chugging along. Made some egg salad with my mayo and it tasted like heaven (even if it was on celery). Day??? 8??? I think.

My daughter is baking cookies as I type this. God, give me strength!!!

Decided to skip supper tonight.  Wasn't hungry then (almond butter, banana, and apple for earlier snack, oh, and coconut oil and unsweetened chocolate).  So am now hungry but it's too close to bedtime.  Ah well.  At least I got some motion in by doing Just Dance 2015 for 45 minutes. 

Edit to add:  And kombucha.  Which I'm still not sure I like, but the bottle's gone, so that's okay.

ThyPeace, darn, some of those dances are -hard-.  And some are just goofy.  Wish I could do a playlist of several games' worth of dances that I like!

Mimahirn thank you for the detailed cauli rice recipe! I can't wait to try it. I kinda jumped into Whole30 knowing nothing about the paleo diet except that it's the "caveman/cavewoman diet" so I'm trying to catch up with all these paleo ideas. I purchased the Well Fed 2 cookbook and It Starts With Food a few days ago so they should arrive any day now! I'm already excited to adopt the paleo lifestyle after I finish this first Whole30 (I say "first" because I already want to do it again once I'm more prepared to compare experiences). 

Well I won't sugar coat it; today sucked. I was extremely exhausted and moody all day, probably because I'm working really weird hours at work to cover for coworkers. I was running around all day with an extra sore knee from my first session of physical therapy yesterday. Then I came home to find out that someone had thrown out my paleo mayo because they didn't know what it was. Oh, the horror. That triggered a full blown waterfall to fall out of my face. (Did I mention that Aunt Ruby is coming to visit in 2 days? It's a metaphor). So needless to say, I went to bed without dinner (not very hungry anyways), but of course I can't sleep now that I finally have the opportunity to. And my alarm is set for 4 AM. Yay. 

So I watched a video of Melissa Hartwig talking about the rules of Whole30, and checked in on the forum for some inspiration for the days ahead. And I already feel a little better. Whole30 is hard, so I'm going to make each of these 30 days count. Even the sucky ones. 

Archived