Anyone starting soon? January 20th or after.

Tina Beshears

Is anyone else working out through their W30?  If so, what's your workout of choice?

I try to be active for 30 minutes every day.  I am NOT being consistent about it right now; I find that my ability to work out decreases a lot when I'm low on sleep.  I do a combination of things, none of them very hard.  Aerobics and strength training leave me feeling the best, with yoga a close second.  But the thing that is most fun is Just Dance, which is a Wii and various other platforms game.  Since it's fun, I find that I'm more willing to do it when I'm tired or upset, or when I only have a few minutes to be active.  All of which are good.  So... dance on!  

ThyPeace, occasionally dances on the "World Dance Floor" and even more occasionally places in the Top 3.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, day 15.  Seems like it's going by fast. Health and body wise I feel really good, no real cravings other than the desire to grab some chips during the superbowl yesterday. But I prevailed and stuck with celery sticks, which actually were tasting really good ;) .

Mimahirn: Happy anniversary!!  And yes, I'm working out, I do a crossfit work-out early in the mornings. So I add the additional meal right after wor-out as described in the Whole 30 book. The book suggests clean protein and starchy carb immediately following, and then your normal meal about 1-2 hours later. At first I thought that would be to soon to want to eat again, but I have found that I am hungry and ready to eat.

MissSidney: Congrats on getting rolling on your Whole30.

Have a good one,

Dave

All day I thought I was on Day 13, but it's actually Day 14! Nice. 

Another good day, and even though I'm back to working 6 AM mornings, I noticed that I have considerably more energy today! I was on top of my game at work, then went for a little retail therapy and a quick run to Whole Foods to buy more cauliflower because CAULI RICE is the bomb. Shout out to Mimahirn for the recipe :P

Mimahirn, Happy Anniversary! Enjoy the crab feast! ...I haven't been working out due to a torn meniscus. That is actually what led me to Whole30 because I knew I needed to do something when I wasn't able to exercise as I had been. PT seems to be helping... In the meantime, I take my pups for beach walks, but luckily have a pretty active job. 

I will forever think of this Super Bowl as Cheater Bowl, not only because the cheatingest team in the league won, but also because I completely ruined my W30 and am now starting over.  :(   That was stupid.  I didn't even care about that game so I should have just stayed home!  My brother made enough food to feed an army.  Most of it was GF because his girlfriend is Celiac but that doesn't matter.  None of it was W30 compliant.  Just when I was starting to feel really great I completely screwed it up.  I am such an addict!

Oh well, enough with beating myself up.  Today is Day 1, again.

• Administrators

I will forever think of this Super Bowl as Cheater Bowl, not only because the cheatingest team in the league won, but also because I completely ruined my W30 and am now starting over.  :(   That was stupid.  I didn't even care about that game so I should have just stayed home!  My brother made enough food to feed an army.  Most of it was GF because his girlfriend is Celiac but that doesn't matter.  None of it was W30 compliant.  Just when I was starting to feel really great I completely screwed it up.  I am such an addict!

Oh well, enough with beating myself up.  Today is Day 1, again.

Maybe you are an addict, maybe you're just a woman, trying to make change in her life. Change takes time and mistakes and self care and self love. Good on you for starting over....and make sure that your weekend wasn't in vain, that you learn something about yourself from your mistake. Whether it's because you were stressed or gave in to peer pressure or maybe you went there hungry or unprepared?

Happy Day 1 again! Convenient timing too because if you wanted to there are lots of beginning of February threads going on right now. :)

Hello everyone. I have not been posting because I have been really sick. It has lasted almost 2 weeks now! Most of the medicine I gave been taking is loaded with sugar or dyes ! So I definately will be starting over. Even though I have been off of the plan, I still have been eating compliant 95% of the time. Other than having the flu, I feel wonderful! Once I am better I plan on doing the whole 30 100%. I have been reading your posts and you are all doing great! I was wondering if anyone knows what to do when it comes to medication? Because I was not prepared for it this time. Thanks

Tina, at least day 2-6 won't be so bad this time around! You already know you can do it :)

Another busy day at work had me wanting an easy dinner so just grilled elk burgers and Portabella mushrooms with balsamic, served with spinach...

Cravings have mostly stopped, now my biggest obstacle is being proactive with meal prepping.

Morning everyone! 

TinaB - I wanted to share with you that I know how it feels to go off plan and then feel awful about it.  I feel great this time around and have been successful thus far, but I have had sooooooooooooooo many failed attempts that have led me here.  Oh my goodness - if you only knew!  Even this go 'round, I haven't been technically on plan until Feb 1st because I was having cough syrup 4 times a day, and I can only imagine what was in that.  So, I didn't tell myself I'm starting over, I am just extending so I get the full benefit of the program and so I can prove it to myself that I can do it.  You can do it too!!!  I think Bogiedog is still planning on extending his program too, so you won't be alone!

Lulah - Glad you liked the cauli rice!  It's oddly addicting!  In my life, cauliflower has taken the place of rice and potatoes, and I feel pretty good about that!  Now, if only I could make sushi rice out of cauliflower....  I digress.  Meal planning is key for us.  (My DH is 90% Paleo and it's done wonders for him.  Although, he just called to say that he ate German Chocolate Cake this morning and now feels awful.)  *head slap* 

1:  sausage patty, scrambled eggs, avocado, coffee

2:  bratwurst, sweet potato fries, veggies & homemade mayo dip, raspberries

3:  Nom Nom Paleo spicy tuna cakes on a bed of butter lettuce, and pineapple maybe

I had a good workout this morning, so I'm a bit nervous that I didn't eat enough to get me to lunch.  I do have a Lara bar stashed in my work drawer, but I'm trying to make sure that I'm only using those once in a great while. 

What are you all drinking?  I am struggling to get my water down and I have a feeling I'm dehydrated.  I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning, and can do water during my workout, but after that it's a struggle to get water down.  It always has been for me.  I've tried a million different ways to make it more interesting, but I think my lack of water intake is how I got so hooked on diet coke.  Anyway, that's all.

Have a good day dolls!

Michelle

Tina:  Just get back up and dust yourself off! You know you can do this!!  Day 3 for me so you got a partner!

Mimahirn:  I'm struggling with drinks as well.  I'm trying to just stick with plain water but think I will need to add some lime or some other fruit juice to help me.  I also got some sparkling water to help when friends come over to socialize. I read on another thread to do sparkling water, oj, and a splash of lime.  Is it weird that I am nervous to drink OJ?  Maybe I will just get some oranges and squeeze them myself.

Also I was wondering if club soda was ok?  Need to sneak over the Can I have this thread and see.

Day 3:

PWO: chicken and sweet potato

M1: eggs, breakfast sausage, butternut squash (weird combo I know but I accidentally ate my sweet potato for pwo instead of M1  :lol:

M2: asian beef salad with balsamic vinaigrette

M3: pork chops or crab legs with salad and veggies

Keep it up everyone!!

• Administrators

Also I was wondering if club soda was ok?  Need to sneak over the Can I have this thread and see.

I'll save you the time.  Club soda is fine as long as they don't sneak anything like sugar into the ingredients.  ;)

Michelle, yes the cauli rice is already a favorite. I love how it warms me up in the morning with that nutty taste. Also, I just bought the ingredients for sunshine sauce and I'm pretty excited to try it tonight! 

1: Quiche with spinach, asparagus, sun dried tomato, ground turkey, basil, and shredded sweet potato "crust"

2: Bratwurst, sauerkraut, red bell pepper, cauli rice

3: Fennel salad with sunshine sauce? Not sure what protein yet...

I have been exceptionally thirsty/dehydrated the past few days as well, so I've been chugging good ol' H2O. I like to warm a glass of water then add a generous squeeze of lemon and drink that as soon as I wake up. Then I eat breakfast about 20-30 minutes later. Before Whole30, I always had my morning coffee, but I've decided to stop since the allure of creamer is too much for me. Instead, I have been drinking Bigelow Mint Medley tea and it is delicious! Tea is not really my 'cup of tea' ^_^  but there's something about the mint... yum. 

Help! I think I read somewhere that a number of people find themselves suddenly cold all the time. I'm on Day 7. Last night I could not get warm in bed - and usually my husband is like a blast furnace, radiating enough heat for both of us. This evening I'm freezing - and it's the same steady indoor temperature as always. It's not even that cold outside - 47 right now, it was about 55 and sunny out today.

Is this common? Does it last long? I'm pretty sure this is the only "side effect / detox effect" I may be having. Any thing else I'm experiencing is definitely a benefit.

For some reason my second dead food processor resurrected itself...after I had ordered a combination blender/food processor (separate pitcher & bowl). I have also just received the two anti-fatigue mats I ordered for my prep area and sink, since the tile floor was killing my back. Plus ordered a pair of slippers with arch support, which haven't yet arrived. This kitchen business is getting expensive! And I've been eyeing the Instant Pot pressure cooker.

Today is officially Day 18. My feet hurt a little less (plantar fasciitis and heel spurs, I think) but my back and other joints are still just as bad. I did have one day where I didn't hurt as much and was very encouraged by that, but it was a fleeting thing. My older daughter said she thought it probably would take longer for me because I have a looooong history of eating junk and not exercising. In the meantime, she is mining me for meal ideas -- what a switch, since she likes to cook and is pretty good at it! And it turns out that my younger daughter arrived at her house Sunday to stay for a few weeks and figure out what she wants to do when she grows up, and both daughters and my son-in-law started the Whole30 program on Monday. 

I had a party to go to Saturday night, and somehow I was confused and showed up Friday night. The hostess was kind enough to invite me in. After all, I had brought my whole dinner with me and she was just about to sit down to eat her own, so we had our meals together. Mine was that beef stew I had made, which really wasn't great. I gave up on it after that evening. I still have a big bowl in the fridge, about 1/3 full, and have to just dump it. The next night I grilled a steak and ate that with some fresh green beans before leaving for the party. I also made kale chips, which I took along because I knew there was going to be a whole lot of really tempting food there (which there was, and then some). So I was able to fight the temptation and have now passed the halfway point without cheating. Yay, me!

I miss my lattes. Coffee now is taken with coconut milk and a little unsweetened cocoa and a dash of salt to take away the bitterness (thank you to whoever mentioned that tip!), and a bit of cinnamon. It's not wonderful but I hate it less than before. I've pretty much mastered the mandoline now, and made zucchini chips with ease. I spread them out on parchment paper on the cookie sheet (after salt-sweating and blotting them) and brush on my mixture of 1 tablespoon olive oil with a bunch of minced garlic. It amazes me that one whole zucchini shrinks down to a little bunch of discs that I polish off in less than five minutes. They really are good, though. Then I tried the cocoa-toasted cauliflower recipe from Well Fed 1. Not bad, but the coconut oil dominates the taste by a little bit, so when I make it again I'll use ghee. I'm not a coconut fan. In fact, anything with the word "nut" in the name or anything that resembles a nut (like almonds, pecans, cashews) are not for me. It's a texture thing. They make me gag. Seeing me eat a chocolate chip cookie with hidden nuts is not a pretty sight.

Trader Joe's has 100% grass-fed ground beef in their freezer section! I have to go back for more -- it comes in a one-pound block and also in a package of four hamburger patties. I love hamburger patties. A few nights ago I made a small batch of guacamole and had that with my burger and green beans and applesauce (they also have unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon at TJ's). I need to do some prep work and chop up and store guac ingredients so I only have to add an avocado when I want to eat it, because guac just gets icky after a few hours in the refrigerator. I have to have it fresh.

Garlic -- I love garlic. It's one of my four basic food groups. So I've been putting it in just about everything. 

Question for those who are having sausage patties: have you been able to find grass-fed pork? I haven't. I was able to find sugar-free bacon but it came from grain-fed pigs. I really would love to make sausage patties if I could just find the right pork. And buying it from US Wellness is incredibly expensive (with a 12-pound minimum) and they are out of stock. Do I dare buy the ground pork from Whole Foods? At least they are happy grain-fed pigs. For that matter, US Wellness's pork isn't 100% grass-fed. What to do, what to do....

So, I'm starting over today after a spectacular fail last night.  A loved one got a shocking cancer diagnosis.  I just lost it emotionally and had a few hours of being angry at the world and so I had a glass of wine and a bowl of frosted flakes for a late dinner.  Wow.  I don't feel particularly motivated to be on plan today either, but I know that it'll only add to my stress if I don't stick with it.  I'm sooooooooooooooooooo not perfect. 

Anyway, here's my plan today:

1:  eggs, sausage, 1/2 avocado, banana

2:  cauli rice, bratwurst, veggies & mayo dip

3:  whatever my dear hubby will make for me because I have no energy to cook!  Thankfully, he'll make something Paleo for us as usual.

I skipped my workout this morning also, I just didn't want to do anything good for myself.  I'm such a self sabatoger.  *big ol' sigh*

On a positive note, every speed bump in life draws me closer to God, and for that I'm very very grateful.  XOXO

Michelle

• Administrators

So, I'm starting over today after a spectacular fail last night.  A loved one got a shocking cancer diagnosis.  I just lost it emotionally and had a few hours of being angry at the world and so I had a glass of wine and a bowl of frosted flakes for a late dinner.  Wow.  I don't feel particularly motivated to be on plan today either, but I know that it'll only add to my stress if I don't stick with it.  I'm sooooooooooooooooooo not perfect. 

Anyway, here's my plan today:

1:  eggs, sausage, 1/2 avocado, banana

2:  cauli rice, bratwurst, veggies & mayo dip

3:  whatever my dear hubby will make for me because I have no energy to cook!  Thankfully, he'll make something Paleo for us as usual.

I skipped my workout this morning also, I just didn't want to do anything good for myself.  I'm such a self sabatoger.  *big ol' sigh*

On a positive note, every speed bump in life draws me closer to God, and for that I'm very very grateful.  XOXO

Michelle

Oh Michelle, I am so very sorry to hear that!  

You're not necessarily a self saboteur though, you're a human who received upsetting news and now you're trying to process it.  That's more than OK.  Go easy on yourself for awhile.  Eat good and nutritious food and rest.

Good evening, all.  I'm on day, uhm.  Okay, now I have to count.... Day 12.  It's been going pretty well.  Eating in mostly, and occasionally eating out with safety.  I've learned that a Wendy's hamburger contains beef and salt.  Nothing else.  And a Wendy's plain baked potato contains, amazingly, a plain baked potato.  So that with butter I got at home (they only have nasty "butter substance" stuff) and some mustard was a pretty good meal.  

Even better, though, was the cauliflower soup we made one night.  And even better than that was the chicken soup I made the night after the Super Bowl (we had roast chicken and veggies for our Super Bowl meal).  

I had been listening to something on the radio and they talked about making bone broth with a very long (24+ hours) cooking tmie, and making sure to put a little vinegar in the liquid to break down the minerals in the bones.  

That was, without question, the most intense, flavorful, wonderful broth I have ever made.  DH was kind enough to chop up all the veggies, so all I had to do was sautee them (onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and potato), add the chopped up leftover chicken, put in salt and herbs, and then put in the broth.  I cooked some cabbage for me and some noodles for everyone else, and served the soup over those.  Delish!!

I made cornbread with it for everyone else to have, and had to suffer through the wonderful scent of the stuff.  That's all right.  I'll reintegrate it when my Whole30 is over.  It did make me notice a difference from my last Whole30.  Last time around, the things I was most looking forward to reintroducing were hummus and popcorn.  (Yeah, I know, I'm boring.)  This time, though, I'm really looking forward to having some hot cereal in the morning.  Oatmeal made with almond milk, or cornmeal mush made with soy milk.  I think it's probably because it's been so cold outside, and those foods really warm me up.  

I've been a little better about working out since my last post, but only a little better.  Ten minutes in the morning and ten minutes in the evening does not add up to 30 minutes for the day.  But it's also better than the 10-15 minutes per day that I was doing for a little while there.  Tonight I will go walk the mall for some exercise, and because I have to venture out to buy makeup -- a once every six months trip that I can't put off any longer -- and take my iPod to be checked for whatever ails it.

For Tina, Minahirm, and pyrotek:  Don't give up and don't beat yourselves up!  Life happens.  If we had given up trying to learn to walk the first time we fell down, or the second, or the third, or the hundredth, every one of us would still be crawling.  The important thing isn't the fall.  It's the grace that lets you get up again as many times as it takes.

ThyPeace, notes that she is also glad that Chipotle has carnitas back, and that barbacoa has no evil ingredients.

ThyPeace and ladyshanny - thanks for the kind words of encouragement! 

I had a glass of wine last night too.  I just needed to process feelings yesterday, and although I ate Paleo, I paid no attention to my food and just had wine at night because I felt no interest in taking care of myself at that moment. 

Thankfully, I feel motivated to have at it again today, so here I am.  We just got invited to a dinner party for tonight with friends, so I know there will be wine there, but I'll be good with my club soda and lime, and I'll bring a fruit tray for dessert and they're making faijitas, so I can make that work. 

I think I've been beating myself up for not being as successful in these recent attempts to do my Whole30 as I was in my initial attempt... but honestly, this time of my life has been beyond ridiculous so I'm going to cut myself some slack and just move forward. 

God bless today friends!

Mim, yes please stop the beating yourself up!  You just hit the mother of all pot holes in your journey, a roadside bomb... you're going to feel it. So feel it, all the pain, hard as it is. It is necessary. It is hard, I know as I have a tendency to shovel it down into the bottom of my back pack of life where it sits and fester. I can tell that you are not going to settle in there and wallow in it, I can see you crawling out the other side, rag tag and determined. When things begin to smooth out, take it out and look it over, the whole shabang, your reactions etc. Look with the eyes and heart  you would look at it if  YOU were someone else you loved. Turn the tables on it so to speak. Then you can see where you can go from there, the things maybe that you can deal with differently,realizing that you are courageous. You  faced it, it imploded upon you, you stumbled from the pain, and you survived. Not only survived, with the tool kit of whole30, you healed without scars... Hand in there, you've got this!

Wow! A lot has gone on since I last checked in. 

Mimahirn, so sorry to hear your news. I think most of us would have done the same if hit with that kind of news.  Glad to hear you haven't thrown in the towel though. 

Tina, my family doesn't watch football and I've never been so happy about that as I was on Superbowl Sunday. No football party = no temptations. Dust yourself off, girl!

Anne2719, your determination to make this work is inspiring. Keep at it! 

I think I'm on day 17???  Yesterday I had a 14 hour day at work (7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.) because I stayed after school to help out at a school dance. I woke up at 4:00 a.m. with the realization that I'd better get up and cook or I wouldn't have anything to eat for dinner. So by 4:15 I was up like a crazy person preparing two meals - chili for me and my daughters who were also at school with me, and another dinner for my son and chili-hating husband who would be at home. Of course, then I had to prep lunch too. Anyway, I made it through the day, worked the concession stand at the dance, and resisted all the junk food I was selling, although I did eat a ton of chili.  My girls weren't too fond of it because of the lack of beans and addition of sweet potatoes, but I think I actually liked it better than traditional chili. 

Today is shopping day. I'm on the tightest of budgets this week and next, but determined to make it through. 

How is everyone doing?

Day 20 for me! Still going strong and feeling better every day.

I realized last night that a box of Tulsi tea I had has stevia leaf in it. Fortunately, I only had one cup and didn't drink all of it before going to bed. I thought about the necessity of a restart and decided to just continue on, based on several factors, 1) It has been stated several places that sugar doesn't necessarily need a restart. 2) this was not a SWYPO. Can't think of anything Cinnamon Rose Tulsi tea would sub for in the junk food arena. 3) It was the actual leaf of the stevia plant used and not stevia processed into a sweetener. As Melissa said in her book, If you chewed on a stevia leaf it is not that sweet. 4) This is my second go round with Whole30. I did a reintro of stevia only after my first round and had no issues. Stevia has been my go to sweetener for several years when I wanted a bit of sweetness, ie. lemonade & sweet tea. These were not the staple of my fluid consumption. I actually like and sometime crave plain ice cold water. So, because stevia is on the list of no's, and I am committed to doing a clean whole30, I put the tea in the back of the cabinet out of sight to drink when I am riding without training wheels. 

I'm 1/5 of the way thru my whole100. I sit here smiling because that number does not sound daunting at all! Keep on keeping on!

Hey. Sorry for the lack of checking in lately, last week was a bit hectic with some travel. I stayed clean, but it was a challenge. Today is day 21.

Michelle: Very sorry to hear about your news. Good 'ol Frosted Flakes huh?  Probably worth it B) . 

Anne: I use that TJ's grass fed ground beef too, I like it as well.

Have a good one,

Dave

Archived