Anyone starting soon? January 20th or after.

Tina Beshears

Hello! Had a good weekend, went to LA with some friends and ate out once; I had a steak salad- hold the gorgonzola vinaigrette! I brought my own tahini dressing instead and had veg snacks packed in the ice box for the car ride :) 

Welcome DrewElizabeth! Today is day 1 for you! How's it going? 

I'm starting to feel somewhat anxious about eating after day 30... I know that I want to continue eating clean, but I am worried that my newfound healthy habits will slowly fade. I am now considering doing a Whole60 or taking a couple days in between beginning another Whole 30... I really want to cement all of the things I've learned about nutrition, and about myself.

What are everyone's thoughts about eating after Whole30? For those of you who have completed Whole30s before, did you find it easier to continue clean eating following the 30 days?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi friends!  I've missed checking in here!  Life totally gets in the way of my good intentions! 

Lulah - I really struggled with the re-intro period last time and eventually gave up.  To be fair, we changed careers,  moved cross-country twice with our family in 2 months, and were living out of boxes/hotels/family's spare rooms.  That was 5 months ago, and I can't seem to get back on track.  I'm still trying to get through a W30 without sugar.  For me, that's the hardest part, I have not yet slayed the dragon.  So, if you decide to extend past your W30, I'll still be here!  I've got work to do!

Here's my food plan for today, and I'd be happy to take any construction feedback if anything jumps out at y'all!

1:  Thai butternut squash soup, eggs, bacon, half avocado

2:  banana, 1T almond butter, some pork 

3:  spaghetti and zoodles, veggies & dip, raspberries

4:  Porketta roast, cauliflower some way, and maybe a salad?

HAGD everyone!

Lulah, I think you and I are on similar thought tracks. I just finished posting a question in the "Troubleshooting" section re: taking a short break vs just slogging on with a Whole60. Thank you for the reminder to take my own salad dressing along when I go out to dinner next week.

I'm now on Day 23 and feeling blue. I won't cheat because I really need to get rid of this inflammation (plus a number of pounds), but I'm not excited about making dinner (and having to clean up after last night's dinner in order to do so).

Anne, it is difficult to decide what to do! Especially since I have been fantasizing about my first post-Whole30 meal. But that alone makes me think that I may have some more work to do. In the past, I have always retreated to my bad dietary habits and I am intent on making this month really count for something; a new beginning

That being said, cooking, grocery shopping, and cleaning dishes has become more of a chore with each passing day... I think I'll do something simple tonight. Meat and vegetables straight up.  ;)

my experience, my first whole30 became a whole 60, because by the time I neared the end of the 30 I realized I still had some issues that needed taken care of. so I continued on for 30 more days. No break. 60 days of compliant whole30 eating. I felt really good, did not miss any of the no's. Decided to do a reintro, and found out I really wasn't ready to ride my own bike. For the next 7.5 months I ended up in a downward spiral that left me right back where I was before whole30 in my eating habits, physical symptoms had not returned full blown yet , but had gained back almost all that I had lost weight wise, and mental and emotional issues were worse. It scared me into another true whole30, I had a couple retry sputters before the scare that got me back on track. When I started my first whole30 I didn't worry about whether I would continue with a whole60, etc. I just focused on doing the best whole30, making sure I didn't consume anything that would affect the benefits of the program. In my thinking, can you actually call it a whole45,60, 100 if you eat non compliant in the middle? Would it really be a whole 30, then another whole15,30, 70? Of course as they say, we are all adults here and you have to decide for yourself what you want/need to do. It really affects no one but your self. After all, it is your experiment of one after all. This time I plan to do a whole 100, but maybe more if I see near the end that I still have some things to work on. Goal setting outside the food aspect of this has been hard for me. The first leg of this whole100 is the food aspect, I'm nearing my 30 day mark and the one goal I set for myself has not been met, so it will be my continued goal for the next 30 days. My goal is to get to bed by 9 pm esp. on the nights before a work day. I work 12 hr shifts, so have to be up no later than 5am and don't get home til around 8pm.

Morning all!

Here's my food plan for the day:

1:  3 eggs, 3 bacon, bowl of butternut squash soup, strawberries, 1/2 an avocado

2:  I just ate an Epic bar at work because I am STARVING.......... 

3:  chicken, veggies, mayo dip, raspberries

4:  fish, veggies, sweet potato

Okay - I had a good/tough workout this morning at 5 bells, and oh my goodness......... I feel like I could eat everything................  I.am.hungry.  Lol, I guess it's good that I am recognizing true hunger!

It was gently suggested to me that I not take that break in between, so I marked up my calendar, adding 31, 32, 33, etc. I agree with cottagequeen that it wouldn't be a Whole60 if it were interrupted. Also I don't think I'm ready to deviate from the rules. They need to become part of me because I'm a pretty irresponsible person, and unless I have these new eating patterns as ingrained habits I'm likely to slide back. 

So I'm going to look for ways to streamline the cooking process so that I don't need to spend so much time prepping and cooking (and cleaning up -- UGH!) since that's been very hard on my back and joints.

So bummed -- I had put some of my really yummy cocoa-toasted cauliflower bits in the toaster oven and didn't realize they were burning until the whole house fire alarm went off. Even though I was sitting 10 feet away, I guess the smoke went straight up to the ceiling. Good to know the monitoring company does get the signal and then calls me to make sure (and is ready to call the fire department, if necessary). Just last week I was cursing those smoke alarms after walking around with a 9-volt battery looking for the one that was making an annoying beep.

Anne2719. I don't do prep days. I just prep what I need for the specific meal I am cooking and the rest goes back in the fridge. I have chunks of pepper, parts of onion etc. in the fridge. I am kind of a fly by the seat of my pants cook tho. I know what I have and throw a meal together, often not even using a recipe. So far, I haven't made anything that doesn't taste good. If there is a particular thing I want to make that I haven't made before, I read several recipes to get an idea what's in them, then do my thing... Even if I am going strictly by a recipe, I still only prep what I am going to use for that recipe. Veg will keep just as well whole or halved in the fridge. I'm sure this wouldn't work for everyone, but it's pretty simple for me.

Sorry about the cauliflower! :(

Mimahirn, tell me about it! I have been in this career for 30+ years, since highschool. I am so burned out ans yet I can't think of anything to do as a career change. I like my security, but dread going into work, I know it is illogical, but I think the reason I have such a hard time going to bed the night before work is I'm trying to hang on to my off day... :rolleyes: I'm smarter than that...smh.

Hi guys!  I've been poor about giving updates lately.  I am doing fine.  I am pretty sure that there was some sugar in a couple of salads I had in the last week or so, because I was having cravings afterward.  I couldn't figure out the culprit(s), though, so have decided to keep on with the Whole 30 without re-starting and just avoid those places -- they were both while I was out, so it may have been an inaccurate or incomplete ingredient list -- for now.  

Other than that, I continue to feel pretty good.  Made more chicken soup and a delicious chicken saag (it's surprisingly easy to make).  We've also had burgers lately, and ground beef in general.  Grass-fed beef was on sale at our local Safeway for $5 a pound, so we stocked up.

I had an hour last night to do breakfast, lunch, and dinner prep for the next three meals.  What amazed me is that I actually got it done.  There was a lot of vegetable chopping, but I had three different stacks and two different pans (we eat raw veggies at lunch time), and it wasn't all that difficult.

Oh -- it's day 18 for me, so I'm halfway done.  

I'm reading with interest all the comments on ending versus continuing the Whole30.  I kept on the first Whole30 for almost 60 days, and then re-introduced legumes (which worked fine).  I tried some dairy and had a terrible time, so kept that eliminated.  And then I made a conscious decision to allow some sweets from the end of October through the end of December.  My weight stabilized during that time, I enjoyed myself, and I found out that there are lots of sweets that are not worth the calories to me.  I was very pleased with all of that, and wouldn't change any of it.  

That said, I am lucky, I think, to have the support and counsel of a very good nutritionist.  She kept me honest about what I was doing and why, and could advise me objectively on how to handle holidays.  "I don't care what you eat on Christmas itself.  Eat anything you want!  What we need to focus on is all the other parties and events that are going to happen at the same time.  There, we need to make thoughtful choices about what's worth eating and what's not."  Which is what I tried to do.

It was not terribly difficult to go back to a firm no-sugar limit after the holidays, but it also wasn't incredibly easy.  I had to remember, and then use, all my "tricks" for getting my body stabilized again.  I think it's important to learn those, and I'm sure everyone is different in terms of what works for them.

ThyPeace, one of mine is unsweetened chocolate, but please note that that is not exactly without controversy in the Whole30 world.

ThyPeace, I am on day 18 today, so we are pretty much on the same track! I am also starting to read up on re-introduction and when to end whole30. This has been such an awesome experience already...so I hope to continue in some form...whatever that may mean :) I am on another thread, as well, but this one seems a bit "noisier" so I will be hopping back and forth! I hope that's okay.

Day 18 and I am feeling great other than a cold...possible sinus infection coming on :( I work in an elementary school and germs are EVERYWHERE! The biggest learning for me has been taking the time to really think about what I am cooking for the week. Plan. Plan. Plan. And the clean-up. Oh my....so much clean up! I seem to always be making some sort of mess. But I am loving it! It has been such an awesome learning experience so far. Favorite recipes have been: Mayo, apple cinnamon pork chops, breakfast casserole, and stuffed peppers!

I am also trying to work out more, but it has been hard to keep up with that in the evenings. I am hoping to have more energy in the mornings to get a quick 30 minute work out in...maybe after this sickness passes!

Hey. I guess it's day 24 today. Feeling good.

Mimahirn: 5AM is the same time that I do my work-out. Breakfast sure tastes good after the work-out, but my body burns it quickly, I'm usually very hungry by lunch.

Congrats to everyone for keeping it rolling!!

Checking in. Day 21 I think. Valentine's Day at school today meant every kid was trying to give me candy, cupcakes and cookies. I kept politely turning everything down, but one class was so insistent that I finally just told them I'd sworn off sugar for the month. Then they were cheering me on for turning down sweets as they came in my door. Crazy day! Glad it's over. The only thing that I found myself really wanting was some kind of Reese's peanut butter heart. I think I would have even eaten that wrapper! BUT I held strong.

Anne2719, another thing I do is buy some of my veggies already frozen. It is easy to get even chopped peppers, mushrooms etc in the frozen foods. I take out what I need and the reseal the bag. Sometimes the bags come resealable, but they usually cost more. I have found some bag clamps that work pretty good, or just place the bag of veg into a ziplock type freezer bag and squeeze all the air out. I always keep some green beans and sugar snap peas on hand for times when I am in a hurry. The majority of my meals are simple meat, veg and fat. using seasonings to change up the flavor some. I don't find it boring, maybe because that was the type of meals I grew up with. Simple hardy meals. I am an adventurous eater too, I like to try different ethnicity's, but they aren't the mainstay of my diet. When you consider, my diet since empty nest syndrome 10 years ago, steadily became McDonald's, Taco Bell, with Arby's,  Wendy's, Subway, etc thrown in the mix, It's easy to see how having simple home cooked meals is eating like royalty!. Hang in there!

TGIF! And it's day 25! I think I've decided how I'm going to handle my "life after W30 transition"... I think the best thing for me to do is to continue eating W30 compliant foods, but not necessarily call it another "Whole##." I don't think I'm fully prepared to reintroduce certain foods- and honestly, I don't even know what I should bring back, other than wine (I live in wine country, what can I say?!). So perhaps I won't be as strict, but I'd like to continue denying my sugar/dairy/grain/processed food dragons and see where it takes me. I think this will also be a great time for me to begin to turn my focus towards physical therapy and exercising. 

Ah, Valentine's Day is tomorrow and that normally would have meant a date with my boyfriend, Chocolate, but not this year! haha 

I don't think this temptation will present much of a problem, but I will be at the beach with some friends so social drinking will probably be the bigger temptation  :wacko:

Cottagequeen, I didn't see your post yesterday, but I must have been channeling you because I was out buying lots of frozen vegetables! I have also discovered a service that's in a number of cities (including mine) called Door to Door Organics. I placed my first order and things will be delivered to my door: local produce and 100% grass-fed beef. As a semi-hermit, that works well for me.

I'm in the process of making a batch of pico de gallo to keep in the fridge so I can add an avocado when I want to have guacamole. I was trying to figure out how to keep it from being soggy and hit on the idea of buying coffee filters. It will go into a mason jar with a wine stopper (not cork) at the bottom to hold the filter up a bit for drainage. I love guacamole but don't like to make a lot at a time if it's just for me because the avocado gets icky after even a few hours in the refrigerator. I'll let you know how this goes.

I adjusted my calendar:

10991157_10204969105339071_2011588627873

Cottagequeen, I didn't see your post yesterday, but I must have been channeling you because I was out buying lots of frozen vegetables! I have also discovered a service that's in a number of cities (including mine) called Door to Door Organics. I placed my first order and things will be delivered to my door: local produce and 100% grass-fed beef. As a semi-hermit, that works well for me.

I'm in the process of making a batch of pico de gallo to keep in the fridge so I can add an avocado when I want to have guacamole. I was trying to figure out how to keep it from being soggy and hit on the idea of buying coffee filters. It will go into a mason jar with a wine stopper (not cork) at the bottom to hold the filter up a bit for drainage. I love guacamole but don't like to make a lot at a time if it's just for me because the avocado gets icky after even a few hours in the refrigerator. I'll let you know how this goes.

I adjusted my calendar:

Mt grandkiddos are here, so didn't get much time on the computer yesterday. Glad you were channeling me. :ph34r: .I don't think we have anything like that around here. It's probably a good thing for me. Semi hermit here to, but I need the forced get out in the world situations. or I might become anti-social. That leads to a host of other issues that I don't need.

Hope your pico experiment works.

Yay for going on, today is 25 for me!

off to bed again for me. Darn cat woke me up because there apparently wasn't enough food in the bowls. First time he's done that. the other 2 must have put him up to it. He has the loudest meow. :D The kiddo's, 6 &4 will be waking up at the crack of dawn probably. May be a 2 cup of coffee day for me today! Love 'em tho.

Day 26 for me. I, too, have been reading a lot about the decision awaiting me at the end of the week. One of the things I read mentioned that Whole 30 is easy for some people because it's a security blanket. I think that has been true for me. It has been easy to turn down treats because I had a script to use, "It's not on my plan" and, more importantly, I knew it was only for 30 days.  What do I do when the 30 days is up, and I only have myself to use as an excuse?  

During this process I've also started going to yoga and zumba classes each week, so right now my body is in shock, I'm sure. I've also never felt better in my life. 

I doubt that I extend my Whole 30, but rather use what I've learned to make MUCH better choices. The one thing this has shown me is that I am STRONGER than those donuts in the break room!!!   

I am, frankly, quite proud of myself for these 26 days. I can't wait to say I've completed a Whole 30!

• Administrators

What do I do when the 30 days is up, and I only have myself to use as an excuse?  

See, the thing is, YOU are the best excuse there is. And probably "excuse" isn't the right word. You are worth defending, your choices are important to YOU. So yes, what the Hartwigs say applies for 30 days....but don't let what they say be more important than what YOU say when your 30 days are up. If you don't want grains or dairy or soy then make the decision that Leaanne says that they are "not on my plan".

:)

Greetings everyone. It's a cold (below zero) evening where I am. DH and I are finishing our part of the various college financial aid applications -- the youngest stepson is no better at planning and doing things ahead of time than the older two were, so we're working right up to the deadline. Ah well. They all improve the next few times around, and I'm pretty sure that DD will be the same when it's her turn. Luckily, we'll have a couple of years break between when DSS finishes school and when she starts. We will have had kids in college for eleven continuous years at that point. While DH does most of the typing, I'm doing research and finding numbers for him. I'm in a lull at the moment, so have a few minutes to write.

It's been a pretty good food weekend. One of the best parts of a weekend like this is that we usually have just two meals each day, and have really good ones at that. Brisket and pulled chicken for lunch yesterday, chicken soup for supper. Today we had pork chops for lunch and beef stew for supper. Each of them delicious. I particularly enjoyed the pork chops with homemade applesauce, but then again, the stew tonight was also really good. I wish I had the time to cook like this all the time. Work really cramps my hoped-for life of leisure sometimes. :-)

ThyPeace, happy tummy.

Archived