Beginning January 20th

Amy Dresser

I heard about the Whole30 from a co-worker a few weeks ago.  My husband was unexpectedly in the hospital (he's okay) all last week and it took me a few weeks to finally look into the program.  After looking over all the info online, I've decided this is something I really need to do.  

The biggest challenges for me will be eliminating soy and almond milk (I know I can make my own almond milk, but I don't have the time for that...it will just be better for me to cut it out), cheese (gawd I love cheese), beans (I also love making chili), alcohol, cream in my coffee, and my protein powders and Quest bars (I use them for convenience).  But I know it will be worth it and with time and practice I'll find ways to make real food more convenient.

Another challenge is that my husband won't do the program with me, and we have an 8 year old daughter who will be mostly eating what dad eats because I work late at night and he makes dinner.  They eat a lot of bread, rice, and pasta.  I hope that the more they see how what I'm eating affects my health and well-being, that they will want to eat more real food as well.

I normally like to start things on a Monday, but I need a few days to clear out the off-limits stuff, grocery shop for the good stuff, and do some meal-prep for the week at work.

I am going to start tomorrow as well!  My first time on the program.  My biggest challenges will be red wine and cream/artificial sweetners in my coffee!  I start my day with a gian cup of coffee with sweetner and cream and end it with a big  glass of red wine!  Most of the food I am pretty good with alreeady besides dairy, I do eat FF greek yogurt and cheese sparingly but don't think that will be too difficult to cut out.   Its just 30 days right?  or at least that is what I keep telling myself.  Good luck!

I am also starting tomorrow! I was planning on today but then went and put milk in my coffee (on auto pilot) so.... tomorrow it is! That will also give me time to take my measurements. 

I am mostly worried about work and eating properly while there. I tend to eat on the run so it makes it quite hard. I also have a very very very large amount of weight to lose - so I am somewhat hoping this helps with getting my energy up so I can properly get on that path!

Hello everyone, I am also starting today! Had to start over. I made it to day 15, and then had a slip up. So here I am back to day 1!!!! I went skiing this past 3 day weekend,and I had a few things that are not on the plan. However,on a positive note, I got right back on it. I didn't have a full blown out binge, a I am hopi g the withdrawals won't be that bad this time. I am really in need of this group. I am doing this alone!!

Made it through day 1! Some notes:

1) Coffee with coconut milk tastes terrible. It was not the coconutty delight I was dreaming of. Bahahaha! Today I'm just going to drink it black.

2) I got pretty hangry around 3:00 but the part that made me (h)angry was that when I really thought about it, I knew I wasn't really hungry. Humph. I just wanted to eat something. Okay, cheese. I wanted cheese, dammit.

3) The dreams! Even though I got through the entire day without any cheats, I still was not safe from myself in my dreams! Ahhhh! It was like having an out-of-body experience all night, I swear! I sat by and watched in horror, guilt, and remorse as the dream-me chowed down on pizza, nachos, cheesy omelets...cheesy anything! GOOD GRAVY!

Anyway, here's to day 2. LOL

Can I join your group?  I also started yesterday.  I had a successful W30 a year and a half ago, I have had several 5-10 day tries since then, but this morning I said to myself, you just need to commit and go for it....so I am, here we go, 29 more to go.   What it takes is planning and awareness.

I might have to be hungry in the afternoons - if I am really hungry I will have a small meal

I will plan my breakfast and lunch the night before

I will eat enough fat and protien to stay full

I will serve my kids their meals with a spoon and I don't need to taste it

I will put peanut butter on bread and not lick the knife

I know that many times I think I am hungry, but I am really just bored

Food is for fuel, not something to do to pass the time

Focus on my family and the good role model I want to be for them

• Administrators

I might have to be hungry in the afternoons - if I am really hungry I will have a small meal

You do not have to be hungry in the afternoons, please forget that idea.  There is no reason to be hungry/suffering on a Whole30.  We want you to eat three meals a day that get you between 4-5 hours between.  If you have further in between or you didn't eat enough, you are welcome to eat a snack but we recommend that it is a mini-meal of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies.  You can ask yourself if you are hungry enough to eat something bland like steamed fish & brocoli.  If the answer is yes, EAT.

trafalgargirl - You can do this! :D If you think you can incorporate it, try to take at least 5 or 10 minutes to enjoy your meals. It helps with satiety and helps your metabolism. I had been eating on the run for years and ended up with a deranged metabolism. You're worth taking the time :)

Amy - The food dreams are completely normal :) don't give up on the coconut milk either, some brands are nicer than others, or you make like it in a different coffee.

I've started sharing my experience each day on the My Whole30 Log section of the forum. That way I can go back at the end and see where I was at in each stage of this process. I made a new thread titled Amy Dresser's Whole30 Log.

I hope everyone is has a great Dat 3!

Hi Everyone - doing well so far had my favorite breakfast - kale, mushrooms, eggs and avocado.  Tonight is jerk chicken lettuce boats and squash.   This time around I feel more ahead of how I will feel and what could come up and I am planning ahead.

Should we do a log?  I like looking at how people are progressing....will you be posting here too?

Hi there,

I am on day 4! I am staying organised and planning nice things for the weeks ahead. I had a look at the timeline and found that to be really helpful so I have an idea of what to expect each day. I am trying to take each day as it goes...but am aware I have tried to do a similar thing before but without the extra help and did not make it very far. I really want to do it this time!

Has anyone got any recipe ideas that they would recommend?

Alice

x

Hi all, this is my first post, started on the 20th, first time. Now, on the morning of day 3 I'm feeling a little off, slight headache and moody :) last night I couldn't stay awake, went to bed at 9! It feels good though, to know my body is healing itself.

Challenges that I joined his community to help me face are:

Food at work, this morning there was a platter of crusty croissants, soft brioche buns and sugar coated breakfast buns at our morning team meeting. What helped me in a huge way was explaining to all my coworkers what I was doing, so I would have to answer for myself if I indulged. Actually as a result my coworker starts it tomorrow!

WINE I work for a wine company, it is a passion of mine as well, and sharing wine with friends over a meal is one of my favorite activities. I keep saying, it's only 30 days!!,

Good liuck with Day 3 everyone, how are we feeling today?!

I am mostly worried about work and eating properly while there. I tend to eat on the run so it makes it quite hard. I also have a very very very large amount of weight to lose - so I am somewhat hoping this helps with getting my energy up so I can properly get on that path!

Work and food is my biggest struggle as well.  It's a lot of work at first, but very satisfying to cook and box the weekly meals on the weekend.  This has been my first week (not even 5 days) but it has saved me time and sanity.  I woke up late twice and was almost late for two lectures I was giving but the prepared food allowed me to grab and go. 

Are you a sweet or salty gal? Crunchy or soft?

I tend to go lean towards salty and crunch I think... amazing how satisfying eating celery can be when you can't have chips!

I ended up starting last Wednesday - I had had some almonds nuts on the Tuesday night and did not realize they were non compliant... so started all over again on the Wednesday. I *believe* I have been good - though since my breakfasts are often out at restaurants it's entirely possible that I have not been 100% given that I am not sure how they cook their scrambled eggs.

How has everything else been?

Trafarlagirl - nice work, and you are honest starting over after the almonds!   There is crazy stuff in almost all packaged food, it blows my mind.  You really have to pay attention and then you realize what the processed food makes us all crazy.....the chemicals over time really do play with our heads!

I have been doing well, I have been on this path before so I have meals I can go to which is nice.   I am trying to mix it up and not have eggs every day, that gets old and sets me up to be unsatisfied later in the day.  My snack if I need one is something other than nuts now, and that has been a game changer for me, when I have done W30 in the past I ate wayyyyy too many nuts, butters and dried fruit.  The fact that nuts have protien and fat makes them seem like the "perfect" food in my head....but not so much for me.

I made spaghetti sauce last nigth and had it with zucchini, tonight is salmon and cauli rice and green beans.  Some homemade almond milk with it.

Archived