Day 18 and multivitamin ingredient

Mudpie57

Hello,

I am on Day 18 of my second Whole30 (did first one March 2014 and continued eating healthfully during most of 2014). The last couple of days on this Whole30, I have been feeling extra tired, kind of spacey and this morning I had horrible charlie horses in my calf.

I had added magnesium (Calm) about 4 days ago in hopes of sleeping better - I usually have very fragmented sleep patterns - but I have not noticed a difference yet. I figured it may take a little time to build up in my system before it helps the sleeping.

But after the leg cramping and the tiredness, I decided it might help to take a multivitamin which I've used in the past, called Executive Stress. I took half a dose (2 capsules) after breakfast and then I thought, gosh, I should check the ingredients.

Sadly, I noticed that it has "Brown Rice Protein Concentrate" and "Young Wheat Sprouts" and I am freaking out that I didn't check before I took them.

Have I completely messed up my Whole30 by taking these? I might add that they have always been a helpful supplement in the past. I wonder if the small amount that this includes will interrupt my Whole30 healing?

Any advice or thoughts? Should I start my Whole 30 over at Day 1 or continue forward and just not take these supplements for the remainder of the month?

I'll paste the list of ingredients below and thanks for any advice offered.

Tammy

Supplement Facts
4 tablets contain:
Vitamin A 20,000 IU 
---25% as Vitamin A Palmitate
---75% (15,000IU) as beta-carotene
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 1,000mg 
Vitamin D3 50IU 
Vitamin E (Succinate) 200 IU 
Thiamine (as Thiamine HCl) 50mg 
Riboflavin 25mg 
Niacin/Niacinamide 120mg 
Vitamin B6 25mg 
---(as Pyridoxine HCl/Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate Complex)
Folic Acid 800mcg 
Vitamin B12 (on Ion Exchange Resin) 100mcg 
Biotin 300mcg 
Pantothenic Acid (as d-Calcium Pantothenate) 150mg 
Calcium (Citrate/Ascorbate Complex) 300mg 
Magnesium (Aspartate/Ascorbate Complex) 300mg 
Potassium (Aspartate Complex) 75mg
Zinc (Aspartate Complex) 20mg 
Selenium (Organic Selenium from Krebs** and Kelp) 200mcg 
Copper (Amino Acid Chelate) 2mg 
Manganese (Aspartate Complex) 15mg 
Chromium 200mcg 
---(Organically bound with GTF activity-low allergenicity)
Molybdenum (from Molybdenum Krebs**) 50mcg 
Potassium (from Potassium Aspartate Complex) 75mg 
Executive Stress Proprietary Blend (500mg):
---Ginkgo biloba Extract 
(minimum 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides and 6% terpenes)
---Silymarin (from Silybum marianum)
---Lemon Bioflavonoids
---Brown Rice Protein Concentrate
(hydrolyzed, digestibility 96%
)
---Betaine HCl
---L-Glycine
---N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine
---SOD/Glutathione Peroxidase (Young Wheat Sprouts)
---L-Methionine
---Coenzyme Q-10
---Proanthocyanidins (Red Wine Grapes)
---Glutamic Acid
---L-Glutathione (Reduced)
Citrus Bioflavonoid Complex 100mg
PABA (Para-Aminobenzoic Acid) 50mg
Inositol 25mg
Choline (from Choline Citrate/Bitartrate) 20mg
Boron (Aspartate/Citrate Complex) 1mg
Trace Elements (Sea Vegetation) 100mcg 
Vanadium (fromVanadium Krebs**) 25mcg
**Krebs=Citrate, Fumarate, Malate, Glutarate and Succinate Complex
Other Ingredients: cellulose.
Contains NO: yeast, gluten, soy protein, milk/dairy, corn, sodium, sugar, starch, artificial coloring, preservatives or flavoring.

Recommended Use: 
Adults: As a dietary supplement, adults take 4 tablets daily with meals or as recommended by a healthcare professional.

Thank you for posting the article. I will think it over and decide if I should extend my program longer before doing re-introductions.

I have been doing the whole 30 perfectly so far and this was an unintentional slip-up. It was a very small amount since I only took two tablets, which are half a dose of the vitamin serving. My intention in taking them was to help with feeling rundown the last few days and with the addition of the leg cramps. I was not trying to be defiant of the program or whatever. So far I have felt no stomach issues from taking them.

I'm leaning toward not giving up what I've already done and just moving forward but not using them until I re-introduce gluten/grains. I may delay the re-introductions a few weeks but really that is not hard since most of the time I eat the Whole30 program anyway. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I also am looking for A multi vitamine that is whole 30 compliant. All i seem to find that are good have some type of brown rice protien? Does anyone have a suggestion?

If you are eating 1-3 cups of various veggies at each meal, proper amounts of protein and fats, you truly do not need a multi vitamin.  Let your foods give you your vitamins rather than taking a capsule full of stripped down vitamins that are reassembled with none of their natural accompaniments.

Are you able to log a couple of days worth of meals here as well as activity levels, etc.?

Lack of sleep will definitely contribute to lack of energy.

Shooting from the hip here - things that break up sleep - nuts (weird but yes - they mess up my sleep pretty bad) starchy veggies - you may have to eat a starchy veg during your last meal.  Or you just may need to eat more. Make sure to drink enough water as well.

Keep in mind as we go through this journey that our bodies will keep adjusting.  So what might have worked well during your first whole 30 - may not work now.

Archived