Egyptian Licorice tea

Tonya

This Yogi brand tea is really sweet. It contains licorice root, cinnamon bark, orange peel, ginger root, cardamom seed, black pepper, clove bud, natural and organic flavors, and essential oils.

I know the natural flavors can be iffy, but wondering how the sweet flavor impacts sugar cravings. I'm wondering if it has a similar reaction in the body as artificial sweeteners, which then triggers cravings? I'm not sure if I want to drink it, even though it is compliant.

This is compliant.  Whether it impacts sugar cravings would be individual.  No different from fruit, really.  If you think it would set off your sugar cravings then you may want to keep it out of your W30.  Otherwise, enjoy!

I am 3 days in to my Whole30 today!  Feeling great but I am missing my selection of Yogi Teas!  After reading and re-reading the books, forums, etc, I still have questions about stevia.  

If used in its natural herb/plant form, shouldn't it be compliant since it's not sugar/fructose/dextrose, etc?  I am not talking about bingeing on it, chewing it or even flavoring my coffee or let alone anything else with it.

But I miss my Yogi teas!  It's always listed as Stevia Leaf and usually the last ingredient on the list (in my faves anyway).  Do you think this would send me back to Day 1 if I enjoyed one or two cups a day?

Has anyone else had this question and how is it resolved?  I guess I'm searching for a resounding "NO" while my sugar cravings are at their peak!  LOL

Some folks try to recreate their favorite old snacks with new ones that are pretty much the same thing.  SWYPO's.   If stevia in its refined form is a fave of yours, I would deliberately kick it to the curb for 30 days.   We can really take it to the razor's edge by using compliant ingredients and turning them into something beautiful.  I call it the Edward Scissorhands approach.   Take a tree and turn it into a flat pancake.    

Drink plain tea.  Black, green or with only one leaf or herb - peppermint, rosehips, chamomile, elderberry, etc.   Break the bond with sugar and create a new pattern.

hqdefault.jpg

• Administrators

I am 3 days in to my Whole30 today!  Feeling great but I am missing my selection of Yogi Teas!  After reading and re-reading the books, forums, etc, I still have questions about stevia.  

If used in its natural herb/plant form, shouldn't it be compliant since it's not sugar/fructose/dextrose, etc?  I am not talking about bingeing on it, chewing it or even flavoring my coffee or let alone anything else with it.

But I miss my Yogi teas!  It's always listed as Stevia Leaf and usually the last ingredient on the list (in my faves anyway).  Do you think this would send me back to Day 1 if I enjoyed one or two cups a day?

Has anyone else had this question and how is it resolved?  I guess I'm searching for a resounding "NO" while my sugar cravings are at their peak!  LOL

There are so, SO many other teas out there that are compliant, walk away from the stevia leaf.  Your brain is trying to find a way to get a sweet fix and that is the only reason you need to give yourself for putting it aside for the Whole30.  Don't let your sugar dragon tantrum its way into you finding a workaround to the rules.  :)

Archived