Benefiber

Fireweedinak

Hi, I started Whole30 6 days ago. Have been what I thought was totally compliant. This morning I found out that the Benefiber I've been having each morning in my coffee (about 1 tablespoon) is "wheat dextrin". Grrrrrr...it never occurred to me to check it. I remember reading in the Success guide/Whole 30 Made Simple that fiber supplements weren't needed because you'd be getting so much fiber from veggies. However I've always eaten a ton of veggies (before starting W30) and still needed the Benefiber so I figured I'd keep using it...never dreaming it was wheat! Do I need to start over?

I keep the Benefiber in a container on the counter so there wasn't any label....it never occurred to me that something I consider to be a supplement would be an issue. Based on this discovery I checked my actual supplements and vitamins and sure enough they aren't "clean" either. So I'll be starting my 30 days over and read EVERY label. Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 years later...

We are reading the book, gaining information, and preparing to begin the Whole30 program.  My husband is concerned about the restriction of not being able to take his benefiber.  He has been prescribed by a doctor to take the benefiber regularly.  Is there something he could substitute that gives him the same benefits as benefiber that is still acceptable under the Whole30 program?  Please respond as soon as you are able as we want to begin this within the next day or two and want to go about it correctly.  Thank you

• Administrators

We are reading the book, gaining information, and preparing to begin the Whole30 program.  My husband is concerned about the restriction of not being able to take his benefiber.  He has been prescribed by a doctor to take the benefiber regularly.  Is there something he could substitute that gives him the same benefits as benefiber that is still acceptable under the Whole30 program?  Please respond as soon as you are able as we want to begin this within the next day or two and want to go about it correctly.  Thank you

Doctor's orders always trump Whole30 rules.  However.....if your husband eats to our template (linked below) and drinks half an ounce of water per pound of his bodyweight, he will have plenty of fibre and fluids to assist in the Go.  I like to think about those packaged products like a marketing scheme to come between you and your money.  Eating real, whole food is how we were designed. It's not like we've spent thousands of years not crapping until the makers of Benefibre came and saved us.  No, benefibre is there because the diet that people are eating is suboptimal for what the body needs for all of its processes.

If he still needs a bit of help in that department, consider getting a compliant magnesium supplement.  Magnesium draws water into the intestines and helps with elimination.  

To add to Ladyshanny's comments above, although I would dispute the need for a fiber supplement like benefiber (especially when eating according to the whole30 meal template), there are fiber supplements that would be technically compliant. If your husband (and his doctor) feel he must continue to supplement with fiber, something with psylium husk instead of wheat may be an option (Citrucel and Metamucil use psylium). Check the container to be sure there are no grains or sweeteners. Do note that fiber supplements including psylium can be quite irritating to the gut.

I would recommend starting a conversation with his doctor and working out a plan together. Depending on his condition, that may or may not include doing a whole30 right away and/or stopping the fiber supplement right away. It may be more appropriate to transition over time.

Archived