Starch veggie ratio

Bigrig737

• Administrators

Starchy veggies can be included as often as your personal context dictates (more for highly athletic folk, more if you're feeling low or cranky, more if you are a woman heading into her period, less if you have weight to lose and are not active).  Our standard starter recommendation is one serving a day, a serving being a fist sized amount.

Listen to your body, you'll know if you're eating too many.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I'm looking for the answer to this question, too! Does anyone what what the ratio is meant to be? For example, should it be 1-2 cups of fresh veggies BESIDES the starch? Or do baked sweet potato "chips" count towards the vegetable quota?

Self experimentation for the win, sevensundrops!  We recommend between 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.  Plus at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggies in at least one meal per day, dependant on your context.  Try experimenting with your own ratios, timing, portion sizes and see where you feel best.

Would eating carrots make me put on weight?? I eat a mixture of starchy veg and green veg at every meal. I only eat sweet potatoes once a day, though, and not even every day. I didn't realise that carrots, beets and parsnips were the 'same' as sweet potatoes. :( :(

Would eating carrots make me put on weight?? I eat a mixture of starchy veg and green veg at every meal. I only eat sweet potatoes once a day, though, and not even every day. I didn't realise that carrots, beets and parsnips were the 'same' as sweet potatoes. :( :(

Not necessarily. Don't fear carb-dense veggies. I frequently have carrots at breakfast and sweet potatoes at lunch and recently lost another 10 lbs eating mostly Whole30-style for about 6 weeks.

Thanks GFChris......but what do you mean by 'not necessarily'.....?  Are carrots/parsnips/beets just as carb-dense as potatoes...?

What I mean is that consuming carb-dense vegetables won't necessarily make you gain weight. In fact, as in my case (and countless others documented on the forum and the Whole30 website), it can give you the opposite result.

As previously stated on this thread, it's all about self-experimentation and discovering what level of carb-dense vegetable consumption you find works for you. 

Archived