Ideas for protein (not meat/eggs)

I'm on day 22 of my second Whole30 and things are going really well overall.  The big difference between this W30 and my first is that I'm logging my food via My Fitness Pal.  This is to participate in my Crossfit gym's Winter health competition.

Since logging, I'd noticed how high of a percentage fat was of my daily calories - usually between 40-50%.  Whoa!

And, I noticed that I wasn't hitting my goal of 30% from protein.

Last night, I got feedback on my first two weeks of nutrition from one of the coaches: eat more protein.

So, how do I add protein w/o using whey based products or adding more meat/eggs (because I can't even imagine eating any more of either)?

I decided to order a container of gelatin powder from Amazon today.  I'll get that on Saturday and am going to try some shake recipes.

Is there any other things that people use for added protein?

Unfortunately, you seem to be working against the program as it is written.  There is no tracking of macros or calorie counting on the Whole30.   So, you won't find much support or suggestions for your request for meeting 30% protein other than to follow the meal template and include 1-2 palms of protein per meal, use your pre and post workout meals when exercising and eat to satiety.  Are you having pre and post workout meals? Crossfit is an intense workout so on those days you should be having 5 meals per day, which may allow you to get in more protein.

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Whole30 also does not support getting your nutrition from supplements (save for Vitamin D, Fish oil), gelatin is a supplement.  Whole30 wants you to use whole foods to meet your nutritional needs.

Oh, and 40-50% fat is ok!  ;)

• Administrators

By tracking percentages as you are (or as you have been asked to do), you basically ignore every signal coming from your body in favour of using an arbitrary number that has nothing to do with you as a person on a day to day (or even a meal to meal) basis.  Some days you might want or need more carbs or more fat or less starchies or less protein.  Our bodies are talking to us every second of the day but when we muzzle them to concentrate on an app or another person's determination of what we need, we are not in tune with ourselves.

What I would want to know from you is this:

How have you been feeling?  How's your daily energy? Are you getting from meal to meal without getting overly hungry? How is your performance in the gym? Your recovery? How are you sleeping? How's your mood?  Any aches and pains or headaches?  These are all valuable markers of whether or not you are nourishing your body in a way that is just right for you.  Tweak on those, not an app or a PT.

I decided to order a container of gelatin powder from Amazon today.  I'll get that on Saturday and am going to try some shake recipes.

Is there any other things that people use for added protein?

I see this is your 2nd Whole30: just a quick reminder that shakes and smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30.  The idea is to chew your food, vs drink it as chewing is more satiating.

Again, satiety is the name of the game in terms of determining proper portion sizes, as Andria and Ladyshanny pointed out.

If you want some more variety in protein, swap in some seafood.  Many options there. 

I'll clarify - I'm not tracking to hit some prescribed numbers.  I get points just for logging my meals.  I'm not aiming for a certain calorie number...  I was actually surprised to see how much my numbers vary day to day, depending on how I'm feeling and eating.

The additional protein was a suggestion and is specifically for pre/post Crossfit workouts.  I've been following the "hot plates" formula from Well Fed for most of my meals: 3-6 oz protein and 2-3 cups of veggies.  Lately, I can barely get through my meals and find myself not even hungry for three full meals a day.  I've been adjusting my portions to reflect that, but I can't even imagine adding another meal or two on workout days.

During my first W30, I did have shakes a few times; usually made from banana, almond butter and coconut milk.  There are some mornings that I just don't have time to get a full breakfast made (usually when I don't have leftovers in the fridge).  I know smoothies are discouraged but I've found that they are more satisfying than my last resort: larabars.

I want to make sure I'm giving my body the correct fuel b/c I've been doing Crossfit for less than a month now.  Was just curious to hear what other people do when eating one more serving of meat/eggs might push them over the edge.

Archived