Nutrition during a Tough Mudder

CaseyD

I don't know how or why, but I'm signed up to do a Tough Mudder with the family. Yeah, and I'm a cyclist, not a runner. Oh no.

Ok, so because I can't transport a bag on a bike during this event, I am completely clueless as to what to do nutrition wise. Has anyone done this event and have some suggestions as to how to handle this? I am really drawing a blank as to how to handle this one. Usually, on my bike I can bring a lunch, beef jerky, raisins, and nuts. This is what I'm used to fueling an endurance event with and I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to learn to use gels or other crap.

Suggestions?

hmm...I don't really recommend bringing any food with you on the run. Tough Mudders are not very long distance so you should be fine during the race. I would just make sure to eat a good breakfast with plenty of fat and protein to keep you satisfied throughout the race.

Don't worry you will have a blast. Tough Mudders are just giant obstacle courses...you will feel like a kid on a playground so I doubt you will even think about food while crawling through the mud!

I don't know, 12 miles seems like a lot to me, considering I've never even run a 5k before! ;)

Thanks for the response! I'm used to having to refuel fairly frequently on high mileage bike rides, so I just assume the same for running.

I just did the MI/OH tough mudder. I would not recommend bringing anything with you, since it will get wet/muddy. They had 3 nutrition stations on our course. One had gummy sugary things that you may want to avoid if you are doing W30, but the other 2 had bananas.

Good luck and have a blast!

Thanks! Yeah, gummy sugary things - Whole30 or not - would probably devastate me. I know I can't drink something like Gatorade without feeling like I could go into a coma, so all those types of sports "nutritional" things are out for me.

leave some coconut water and sweet potatoes/applesauce in your car for after the race. i assume there are water stations, yes? adding some salt to your water will help with hydration, but from what i've heard, tough mudders and spartan races, etc don't have a lot of all out running in them. lots of standing around waiting for the next obstacle...so I don't know how much extra hydration you'd really need.

i hate running and do everything in my power to avoid it, so I'm also not the best person to rely on here :) The coconut water/banana/sweet potato thing is good, though!

oh! you may check in with the race organizer and see if you can leave your own food at the nutrition stations before your heat. That would probably be best.

Archived