Ranch dressing

JosieJake

• Moderators

I made the ranch dressing from the book. Does not taste like any I ever had.

I'm guessing any you ever had before -- whether you made your own or bought stuff -- had buttermilk or yogurt or sour cream or some sort of dairy. That's going to make a difference. I haven't found anything that truly replaces that flavor. When I want a ranch dressing type of dressing, I usually just add herbs to some mayo and hope for the best -- as long as what I'm wanting is the creaminess, it works okay, but it's definitely not a direct substitute for ranch.

It might be worth trying to find different types of sauces that you've never tried before, so you don't have any preconceptions of what they might taste like. The Clothes Make The Girl and Nom Nom Paleo both have good options.

I do ranch quite a bit as my son loves it to dip his carrots in. I typically take some mayo (this is totally by taste and by eye) usually around a 1/2 a cup or so, and add in a minced green onion or 2--including the tops, garlic powder, dill weed--typically dry but if I have fresh I will use that-- a touch of lemon juice, a grind or 2 of salt or to taste and several grinds of black pepper. Stir it all up and then I add full fat coconut milk to it to thin to dipping/dressing consistency. We really like that here! While it isn't 'that' brand of ranch, we find we like it better than the other. 

Archived