January 26th (and nearby dates) Support Thread

CharDoll

Made it through the weekend. I also made complaint asian zing wings for the super bowl. I am feeling a little bummed about my food choices for meal 1. Need to spice it up a bit and/or get more excited about "non-breakfast" foods!

Hope everyone's week is off to a great start!! Week 1 is done!

Made it through the weekend. I also made complaint asian zing wings for the super bowl. I am feeling a little bummed about my food choices for meal 1. Need to spice it up a bit and/or get more excited about "non-breakfast" foods!

Hope everyone's week is off to a great start!! Week 1 is done!

Allijae, my go to breakfast everyday pretty much is 3 fried eggs, sautéed spinach in coconut oil, and then I microwave and mash a sweet potato with coconut oil or ghee and some chia seeds and sometimes cinnamon. Trader joes canned Coconut milk in my coffee.

my first Whole 30 I got so sick of scrambled eggs and someone suggested fried, which for some reason I can handle pretty much every day. :-)

Another good thing I like for breakfast is ground pork sauteed with cabbage. (My hub hates when I cook cabbage... kinda stinky, but tastes so good sautéed and kinda caramelized in coconut oil.

Allijae, my go to breakfast everyday pretty much is 3 fried eggs, sautéed spinach in coconut oil, and then I microwave and mash a sweet potato with coconut oil or ghee and some chia seeds and sometimes cinnamon. Trader joes canned Coconut milk in my coffee.

my first Whole 30 I got so sick of scrambled eggs and someone suggested fried, which for some reason I can handle pretty much every day. :-)

Another good thing I like for breakfast is ground pork sauteed with cabbage. (My hub hates when I cook cabbage... kinda stinky, but tastes so good sautéed and kinda caramelized in coconut oil.

Great ideas! Do you have a favorite brand of compliant ground pork? That sounds like a great addition!

How is everyone doing??? Day 11!! Almost half way there!

I am waiting for a burst of energy after a REALLY stressful week at work. But I am still on plan and loving it. I  made my own mayo last night!! Still wondering if I am snacking too much, but I am tracking it and trying to be really conscious of it. Drinking tons of water has helped, too.

How are everyone else's emotions? What has been the hardest part so far? Easiest?

Hi everyone!  My boyfriend and I just finished Day 11.  We are both doing pretty well, and in high spirits.  We started without much preparation, because we decided there would never be a "perfect time."  So, we didn't plan out enough meals, buy enough food, or prepare for how hungry we would initially be.  The first few days we ate three good meals, but I was always hungry, tired, no energy, bad workouts........so, I gradually increased my meal size, and added different combinations of things to them, plus tweaked my pre and post workout snacks.  By Day 8 I was more or less not hungry very often, and energy levels are feeling great. My boyfriend wants to lose weight, recover better from workouts, and have a more consistent energy level.  I don't have weight to lose, but want to have a better energy level, less moodiness and stress, better sleep, and possibly better athletic performance.  He feels like he is losing weight pretty quickly  I feel my general mood is better and I am less stressed.  My sleep and energy are great, and my running is decent, although it can be better  I feel I am getting used to eating all sorts of delicious real foods at any meal..........EG I used to feel that I would not eat eggs at dinner, or no veggies at breakfast, or no meat at breakfast, but we had pork chops with our eggs a few days ago, and veggies with anything, and I even put stuff into zip locks when I'm super busy at work, and I'll be munching on chicken and sugar snap peas while driving around.  This is such an interesting learning experience.  I cannot wait to see what the next 19 days holds for us.  

• Administrators

Regina, I am so glad to hear this. You were pretty apprehensive at the beginning about how this could work. I'm really impressed that you took on some of our recommendations (larger meals) and did some self experimenting to learn what is going to be perfect for you. Excellent to read!!!

This is such an interesting learning experience.  I cannot wait to see what the next 19 days holds for us.  

I totally agree about the learning experience. I feel like I am learning so much more about myself, food, recipes and so many other things!! I am also excited for the rest of this journey.

Halfway through, you guys!!! Day 16 here....How is everyone else feeling?

I am feeling full of energy, better workouts, and more productive days. I don't think any of this is the "tiger blood" but I can definitely feel a difference in how my days go. The best part has been my emotional stability, I am just happy most of the time. Not these huge mood swings I used to deal with. It's great! Clothes are also fitting better....I think?

I am starting to get a cough and sore throat (those elementary school germs finally caught up to me), afraid of what is to come, but glad I have a good foundation of Whole30 that can carry me through.

Oven baked chicken fajitas, a sausage/egg breakfast casserole, and damn fine chicken have all been recent favorited recipes. I am going to start experimenting with some soups over the next few weeks.  Always looking for more exciting recipe successes if people are willing to share :) I am loving hard boiled eggs, as well as sweet potato hash. I really have nothing to complain about in terms of food on this Whole30 journey. Taking the time to plan (and eat) my meals has changed my outlook on food/eating SO much!

My only concern is that I am still having some intestinal issues that I was having before I started (stomach cramps and diahhrea...TMI? sorry....I can't quite figure out what is triggering them. I had always though it was dairy or gluten based....but those are elimated). It makes me wonder if I am somehow eating something off-plan? But I have been so careful about reading labels, and double checking everything. Not sure. Will keep trying to figure it all out...It is a learning process after all!

• Administrators

My only concern is that I am still having some intestinal issues that I was having before I started (stomach cramps and diahhrea...TMI? sorry....I can't quite figure out what is triggering them. I had always though it was dairy or gluten based....but those are elimated). It makes me wonder if I am somehow eating something off-plan? But I have been so careful about reading labels, and double checking everything. Not sure. Will keep trying to figure it all out...It is a learning process after all!

It could just be your gut bacteria rebalancing and the bad guys dying off while the good guys repopulate.  Keep eating veggies, maybe increase your portion of starchy veggies a tad and drink lots of water.  Bone broth can be very healing for the stomach and fermented foods contain probiotics that can help also.

It sounds like everyone is doing great on their journeys.  We just finished Day 18.  I'd say for the most part it is still going well.  I look forward to eggs with just about anything every morning, and a big salad at lunchtime with some fruit, and leftover meat from the night before.  Dinner is always some other yummy meat, tons of veggies, plus a squash or sweet potato......been cooking those with coconut oil and cinnamon and ghee to finish.  I'm getting a little bit bored, but that is ok for these 30 days...........the simplicity is good for me with my busy life and at this peak in my training schedule.

My main issue is too much snacking on fruit and nuts, and not getting enough fats.  I love avocados, but I hate grocery shopping, and don't want to shop for food often enough to keep them on the menu at every meal. Tomorrow I am going to look for some new foods in various places..........the health food stores and Whole foods types of stores are not close by, so requires a longer venture than can be done midweek. Usually by the time I finish with my double workout it is 7:30 pm and we are eating at 8:30-9. 

My energy level, sleep and moods are great, and workouts pretty good.  The temptations for bad foods are not that bad, even in social situations.  The biggest thing that I really want is wine................I love wine paired with delicious food, and miss it terribly. Even after this 30 days is over, I don't feel any urge to eat all the grains and such, but I do want to drink wine! 

I never had a sweet tooth before, but now I feel I have a sweet tooth for fruit!!!!  Is anyone else having this?  I am concerned that I created a new sugar dragon that was not there before.  I probably need more than 30 days to change my relationship with wine!  

I hope I find more good fats tomorrow at the store.  

I'm a little nervous with my 50 mile training run on Saturday.  I have fueled runs up to 20 miles so far, but this one will be very long and I'll attempt to fuel all whole 30 compliant. But, as it is my only "dress rehearsal" of this length before my 100, I will have extra supplies available if I bonk.  I tend to get tired after about 90 minutes of running on Whole 30..........

Excited but nervous!  

I'm a little nervous with my 50 mile training run on Saturday.  I have fueled runs up to 20 miles so far, but this one will be very long and I'll attempt to fuel all whole 30 compliant. But, as it is my only "dress rehearsal" of this length before my 100, I will have extra supplies available if I bonk.  I tend to get tired after about 90 minutes of running on Whole 30..........

Excited but nervous!  

Regina, how did the 50 miles go on Saturday? And good luck on your 100...holy cow, you're inspiring!! :)

Going into the final week for those that started on January 26th! How is everyone feeling? What are your plans for after 30 days? This really seems to have become a lifestyle choice. I think after the 30 days I will definitely be following the reintroduction schedule than after that, I will feel way more informed to make my own decisions and keep up the good choices! I have prove to myself that I can do, I can say no, and I don't NEED every yummy thing I see. It's been a great process.

I am doing well. Other than throwing up most of what I ate yesterday :( I think I ate some old meat or something. I was miserable, but then felt better immediately. Glad I got whatever it was out of my system. I have rid my fridge of any leftovers and am starting with a clean fridge this week. I don't want to feel that way again!

On the menu this week:

Pad thai

Sweet potato chili

Zuppa Toscano

Chicken Fajitas

Turkey burger in lettuce wrap, mustard and homemade mayo, with roasted sweet potatoes

Oops, I haven't been back to check in! My husband and I are on day 21, and feeling great! We are getting a little bored with some of the food we have been eating, so I need to find some good, easy recipes. My husband leaves tomorrow for a three day business trip, so I am going to go to Whole Foods today and try and find some compliant jerky and things he can throw in his suitcase. 

I need to share the most amazing part for me so far... I have been suffering from near daily headaches for the past two and a half years after getting diagnosed with Bells Palsy. I have not had a headache since day 3!!!! Seriously, I want to cry just typing this out. It is a huge victory. I had no idea how much of a toll it was taking on my life. Now that they are gone, I see how awesome I can feel and how much happier I am. If I don't lose any weight I won't care. I feel better than I have in years. I am SO glad we decided to try out the Whole 30. I was pretty skeptical at first, but I figured it is only 30 days, right? I am definitely a believer now! I am interested to do the reintroduction and find out what was triggering the headaches. It never occurred to me my diet was a factor. 

I need to share the most amazing part for me so far... I have been suffering from near daily headaches for the past two and a half years after getting diagnosed with Bells Palsy. I have not had a headache since day 3!!!! Seriously, I want to cry just typing this out. It is a huge victory. I had no idea how much of a toll it was taking on my life. Now that they are gone, I see how awesome I can feel and how much happier I am. If I don't lose any weight I won't care. I feel better than I have in years. I am SO glad we decided to try out the Whole 30. I was pretty skeptical at first, but I figured it is only 30 days, right? I am definitely a believer now! I am interested to do the reintroduction and find out what was triggering the headaches. It never occurred to me my diet was a factor. 

That's amazing!! 

I need to share the most amazing part for me so far... I have been suffering from near daily headaches for the past two and a half years after getting diagnosed with Bells Palsy. I have not had a headache since day 3!!!!

jamieann, I am so happy to hear of your amazing results.  I started on Feb 3 and while I have seen no other positive changes (only lots of intestinal distress and blotchy skin) I have not had a migraine in almost two weeks, which is close to a record for me.  I have long suspected that excess sugar and processed foods are a big trigger for me, so last year I switched to eating clean.  Both my allergies and migraines improved tremendously.  Then Thanksgiving happened and it was a slide right through until I started Whole30.  I know I will be reintroducing red wine to my life at the end of my Whole30 (which strangely is not a migraine trigger for me), and a couple of other currently forbidden items, but I plan to stay mostly Whole30 compliant as part of my ongoing lifestyle. 

Any check-ins on Re-introductions starting this week? I will be day30 on Tuesday and have been researching and reading about re-intro. Trying to decide exactly how to do it, and what my menu will look like! What are others planning?

Allijae, my re-introduction isn't until next week but I have already re-read that section in It Starts With Food and have started making plans.  I really want to continue eating this way as my lifestyle, only deviating as an exception, and when I choose to.  Having said that, I will be re-introducing alcohol as my first item.  And no, that is not in the book.  It just happens I have an event that weekend and I want to drink there.  I will be bringing W30 compliant foods so I can really test how the alcohol affects me.  Then I will continue pure W30 for a couple of days and then do the proper 10 day sample reintroduction schedule that IS in the book.  I am not really planning to reintroduce foods into my eating on a regular basis, but I do want to see in advance how they would affect me.  I think of this whole program as an extended food allergy test.  Are there specific foods you are planning to add back in to your diet?

Yesterday was my last day!

I lost 10 lbs and gained a ton of confidence in my food choices. I learned so much from this experience and I am so glad I did it!! I think the biggest thing I learned was how strong will power can be. Saying NO for 30 days really showed me I can do it, and that there is always a better option. It was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be, but I ate a mostly healthy diet before. I'm not sure I ever felt "tiger blood" (maybe I was expecting too much) but I definitely have MORE energy, I am sleeping a lot better, and my moods have seemed to stabilize.

I am looking forward to reintroducing some foods. Here are my plans:

Day 31: Non-gluten grains...oats for breakfast, corn over lunch and rice with dinner.

Day 34: beans and legumes...black beans with eggs for breakfast, peanut butter with lunch and peas for dinner

Day 37: dairy...yogurt for breakfast, cheese with lunch, maybe some ice cream for dessert?

Day 40: Gluten...whole grain toast with breakfast, some crackers for lunch, whole wheat pasta with homemade pasta sauce

All that being said, I am not planning to reintegrate most of these foods into my diet, but I am interested to see how they affect me. So I want to do this in a control environment.

Yesterday was my last day!

I lost 10 lbs and gained a ton of confidence in my food choices. I learned so much from this experience and I am so glad I did it!! I think the biggest thing I learned was how strong will power can be. Saying NO for 30 days really showed me I can do it, and that there is always a better option. It was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be, but I ate a mostly healthy diet before. I'm not sure I ever felt "tiger blood" (maybe I was expecting too much) but I definitely have MORE energy, I am sleeping a lot better, and my moods have seemed to stabilize.

I am looking forward to reintroducing some foods. Here are my plans:

Day 31: Non-gluten grains...oats for breakfast, corn over lunch and rice with dinner.

Day 34: beans and legumes...black beans with eggs for breakfast, peanut butter with lunch and peas for dinner

Day 37: dairy...yogurt for breakfast, cheese with lunch, maybe some ice cream for dessert?

Day 40: Gluten...whole grain toast with breakfast, some crackers for lunch, whole wheat pasta with homemade pasta sauce

All that being said, I am not planning to reintegrate most of these foods into my diet, but I am interested to see how they affect me. So I want to do this in a control environment.

Congratulations Allijae - well done.  I was reading the re-introduction sections of It Starts With Food last night, and your plan looks solid.  I still have a week to go and have not experienced any of the benefits, plus my skin is a mess, but my migraines have really lessened so I am appreciative about that.  I also am not finding W30 as hard as I thought it would be, however, I have kept myself pretty insulated so far - not wanting to risk going off-program.  It makes me sick to think of people who had to start over because they were accidentally dosed with something not W30.  Please keep us informed of how the re-introduction goes - it would be great to know what to expect.

It makes me sick to think of people who had to start over because they were accidentally dosed with something not W30.  Please keep us informed of how the re-introduction goes - it would be great to know what to expect.

I also feel so sad when that happens to people. I actually successfully ate out and went to bars on several occasions. Sticking with grass-fed hamburgers with veggies and a lettuce wrap. And Chipotle a few times. At the bar I stuck with soda water and any fruit they had on hand. Loved not feeling so groggy in the AM, when my husband was laying there complaining of headaches and wanting to sleep more :)

Yesterday I re-introed non-gluten grains. I played 3 hours of volleyball on Tuesday night and I did not sleep well the night before, and my office was FREEZING All day. So I felt so gross/cold/achey all day and went home to take a 2 hour nap. It was hard to tell if it was because of my lack of sleep or the food stuff. But I had oats for breakfast (with fruit and almond milk), corn for lunch and rice with dinner. I also had a headache in the afternoon and lots of gas (TMI?!). I will be interested to see how I feel today and tomorrow. But I have always had a suspicion that gluten messes with me, or even non-gluten grains?! I don't know.

What is corn considered in this program? A grain-non-gluten right?

Yesterday I re-introed non-gluten grains. I played 3 hours of volleyball on Tuesday night and I did not sleep well the night before, and my office was FREEZING All day. So I felt so gross/cold/achey all day and went home to take a 2 hour nap. It was hard to tell if it was because of my lack of sleep or the food stuff. But I had oats for breakfast (with fruit and almond milk), corn for lunch and rice with dinner. I also had a headache in the afternoon and lots of gas (TMI?!). I will be interested to see how I feel today and tomorrow. But I have always had a suspicion that gluten messes with me, or even non-gluten grains?! I don't know.

What is corn considered in this program? A grain-non-gluten right?

Allijae, thanks for the dining out suggestions.  I have been a hermit during the program and am terrified of re-entering the real world.  Corn is a non-gluten grain and it would suck if you also cannot have those.  Many food programs eliminate corn permanently though as I think the sugars in it mess with metabolism so maybe try the non-gluten thing again in a couple of days but without corn.  

Archived