Reclaiming my health

Shoresheila

I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum, or the Health one. Today is Day 30 so I'm almost a success story (although I have complete confidence I will make it through the rest of today!).

I was two months into eating Paleo in 2013 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Between surgeries, chemo and other treatments, I fell off the wagon. Some days, all I could stomach was a piece of dry toast. But I always remembered how good I felt during those two months!

Fast-forward to the end of last year and I was feeling so bloated, overweight and sluggish. I wasn't sleeping well due to residual discomfort from surgeries and hot flashes. I knew what I had to do, and so I decided to start my first Whole30 on January 5. 

Instead of viewing it as any kind of deprivation, I was looking forward to reclaiming my health after 15 months of being at the mercy of cancer. I thought of it as a celebration of the end of treatment and a way to kick-start the rest of my healthy life.

I feel amazing! Definitely tiger-blood time. I fall asleep easily and stay asleep all night. I bounce out of bed before my alarm goes off. My workouts feel wonderful with lots of energy, and quick recovery after my long runs. I don't think I had any major dragons before this, but I really love knowing what is in my food and that every single bite is nourishing me and returning me to health.

I know I have lost weight because I have frequent doctor visits, and they always weigh me. I did not take any other measurements when I started (I have breast implants now so that measurement won't change!) but my clothes are fitting way looser. My LDL cholesterol dropped 35 points in a month, and my triglycerides and HDL are great. 

So there is my success story. I can't wait for my second Whole30!

Archived