The Great Organic Deceivers

Laura B

I wasn't sure where to put this since it isn't strictly W30 relevant, but I am sure that many of you will find this interesting. RIght now there is a battle going on regarding GMO foods and their labeling as such. This article outlines the companies that claim to be "natural" or "organic" but are inherently funding the movement against labeling GMO foods.

http://www.anh-usa.o...anic-deceivers/

I see our dear Larabars are on the list. I won't buy them anymore, I just needed a good reason not to have them around, anyway!

What do you think about the GMO labelling, and does this article influence your future purchases?

For you visual folks: http://www.cornucopia.org/wp-content/themes/Cornucopia/downloads/prop37-poster.pdf

Ugh. Muir Glen is more painful to me than Larabars, although both are problematic as the rest of my family consumes a fair amount of Larabars. There are recipes for homemade LBs but I don't know if I can fit in the time to make one more thing from scratch.

Thanks for the info!

It really saddens me that companies continue to pull the wool over consumers' eyes.

I'm not that disappointed with Larabars because they aren't that good after the first bite, they are loaded with sugar and there really isn't a "good time" to eat them since they are so sugar & fat laden.

This does make me more nervous about buying certain brands, as if I weren't already paranoid! :ph34r:

Non-GMO Shopping Guide:

http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/GMObrochure.pdf

While you Whole 30er's don't have nearly as much to worry about as an average American when it comes to consuming GMO's, it is still important to consider where these may be lurking. It is honestly terrifying that these GMO corn & soy products are put into so many things. The list at the end is scary. :(

Thank you so much for all of the useful information! I'm bummed about Muir Glen too:( Im ok with making my own larabars or trail mix type thing but canned tomatoes are tough to find without any added anything.

I won't be buying any more products from these companies. Not that I did a lot before, most of it was things I'd never buy. I prefer as much as possible to support my local economy and so I funnel as many of my dollars as possible into local farms, farmstands and locally grown and packaged products.

That makes me sad about the Larabars. They will be losing lots of customers just based on us Whole30 group!

But it is also good because I have an addiction to them. If they are in the house I eat them. Even post whole30 when I had a Peanut butter one (used to be my favourite) I didn't love it as much as I used to yet I still ate 3 during the day!

It's weird...they really aren't that good after the first bite! I always feel almost guilty when I eat one and then I'm disappointed because I was expecting it to knock my socks off. I think it's just because it's processed and my tastes are more keen on whole foods now :)

All this GMO stuff really scares me. I hope they can get this prop passed in CA.

Archived