Recipes for fish and seafood

drtracyb

Can anyone share good fish or seafood recipes?  I'm a landlubber and don't have a lot of experience cooking either, but I would like to incorporate more healthy seafood into my diet.  (I don't really like salmon, though.)  Basic grocery store access, though we do have a Filipino fish market accessible, just don't know if I have the courage to buy and cook fishes I don't have experience with.

Tracy

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I know you posted that you don't like salmon... but canned salmon is inexpensive and a good source of minerals if you eat the bones.  Lately for breakfast I have been having salmon cakes

1 14 oz can salmon (the skin and spine look gross, but honest, once everything is mixed together you won't notice them)

2 eggs - whisked

1-2 tbsp of coconut flour

flavoring - lately I've been on a Thai kick so I use fresh cilantro, dried ginger, dried shallots

you could do spicy and add some red pepper flakes or traditional and use old bay...

Here is a link for a few varieties.

1 can makes me 4 patties so I get 2 meals out of it.  Not bad for $4 :)

• 3 months later...

Thanks for posing your salmon cakes recipe Littleg.  I made some this morning for breakfast with no filler since i usually use eggs and breadcrumbs.   The eggs were not enough to hold them completely together - but i didn't know what else to use. I'll look for coconut flour for my next can

Dr T

Keep it simple

Any mild fish will do trout cod halibut haddock

Start off with clarified butter in a sauté pan

With salt n pepper to taste

If you'd like add fresh parsley and garlic

Or season with paprika salt pepper oregano

Throw in cherry tomatoes halved and poach

Make sure you have enough fat though

If you grill outdoors just prep the fillet with oil and seasonings brush the grates with oil while cool

Or just cook it whole cleaned stuffed with lemon slices parsley or cilantro and season well

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posing your salmon cakes recipe Littleg.  I made some this morning for breakfast with no filler since i usually use eggs and breadcrumbs.   The eggs were not enough to hold them completely together - but i didn't know what else to use. I'll look for coconut flour for my next can

Hi, KeeS! You can use sweet potato puree to help keep the salmon cakes together, too. I make the recipe for "No-Fuss Salmon Cakes" that's in the Whole30 book. The finished product is the picture in the upper-right corner of my profile picture. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I live on a small island in the Med and have fresh fish at least once a week. I use only 3 simple cooking methods:

1) Fillets, steaks and small whole fish are great panfried with a bit of salt on ghee / coconut oil. Make sure not to overcook it, which is really easy in case of fresh fish. Just 2 minutes at each side and it's done. Serve with lemon juice and veggies.

2) Medium sized fresh fish is great baked in tinfoil. I stuff it with fresh veggies, salt a bit, add fresh herbs, ghee and lemon, wrap in tinfoil. 15 minutes in 200 C oven is enough for the fish to be ready. No need for a side dish either, it's a complete meal, ready to eat. Bonus: no dishwashing!

3) Monkfish, dogfish and mahi mahi are great stewed with onions, garlic, capers, celeriac leaves and tomatoes. Serve garnished with fresh parsely leaf. This way of cooking fish is called alla palermitana in Italy.

Archived