4th time through, and it's the first time I feel like quitting :/

My first time, I did the autoimmune protocol (gained a ton of weight but felt amazing), and remained strict paleo after that.

Last fall, I did a Whole30 (weight stayed the same), and then I just completed the January Whole30 (lost weight for the first time since battling anorexia for years as a vegan, 11lbs, and it was the best I've ever felt on a Whole30), spent 8 days back with my whey protein (Formulx, which Juli from PaleOMG uses, so very pure and 100% grass fed), and had my worst reaction to dairy ever - bloating,getting anxiety, breakouts.

So, after just an 8 day break, I decided to do a Whole60 and go back on the autoimmune protocol, plus I'm doing low-FODMAPs.

(Other stuff, I'm 21, female, 5'6", 175lbs, but I have big bone structure and I'm pretty muscular because I do CrossFit 3×week. I'm paleo for relief from medical conditions - fibro, PCOS, anxiety, fructose malabsorption, thyroid stuff, and more - not weight loss.)

So with all these restrictions, I'm basically eating meat, fish, leafy greens, squash, sweet potato, carrots, celery, cucumber, citrus, berries, and some coconut oil. It's the hardest diet thing I've ever done. In the past I've had cravings, but I've known that it would be done in 30 days. 60 days is seeming like forfreakingever, especially since I just got done with a Whole30. Yeah, a lot of it is carb flu, but I also worry I'm punishing myself a little, as opposed to my intention, which was to get rid of allergies once and for all.

I'm coming to the end of day 5 of the Whole60+AIP+low FODMAP. Should I do 30 days and reasses, or keep telling myself 60?

Mine started as a w30, but as i got more in tune with my reactions to food, i started to eliminate things like nightshades, and at the end of w30 i decided i needed more time. I went for a w90 eventually. A lot of changes are lifestyle changes, bot temporary, so it made it easier to forget about the actual number of days and just start to learn and figure out intolerances and what foods made me feel better. It's worth it...60 days is such a small slice of time.

To be sure, you have allergies? Or insensitivities? If yes, to both or either, have you been able to match which foods cause the allergic reactions, and which the insensitivities?

I agree with peace_positive in that this is a lifestyle change, and you'll learn and figure out what changes can be forever and which are temporary. When I first went low FODMAP, those first 60 days were loooooong and I hesitated to re-introduce foods again for fear of symptoms returning. However it was non sustainable, and it sounds like that is the question you are facing?

I think this is something you could try -- get to feeling good (if not already there) and experiment with simple re-introductions to any foods you miss eating. Your list of foods is very similar to mine, yes, it's hard, but so worth it if you are feeling good. And when it gets frustrating, that's the thought that keeps me going - I feel GOOD, my symptoms are minimized, and I'll keep learning and improving as time goes by. 

By the end of the this 30 or the 60 days, you should have a good idea of your baseline symptoms. I suggest not seeing this as an on-Whole30/off-Whole30 way of life, but rather a continuation of Whole30 that incorporates your personal dietary needs. 

Hope this helps, 

Lucie

• Moderators

When you finish a Whole30 and then eat things that don't work for you, the answer is not doing another Whole30. The answer is taking what you learn from a Whole30 to establish a menu that works for the rest of your life. What I am hearing is that you do well during a Whole30, but you are not applying what you learn works and does not work to how you eat in your ordinary life. The area for you to work on is not so much the Whole30 as reintroductions. And given how many challenges you report facing, you probably need to work on the slow roll version of reintroductions.

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

Archived