Starting 02/22 Vegetarian starting to eat meat

FranE

Have been a vegetarian for over 25 years. In prep for the whole 30 have started to eat fish and stopped eating grains and most sugar. My main concern is going from eating no meat to meat eating so suddenly might be a bit too difficult ( and a bit hard on the system).Is it possible to do the regular Whole 30, but include a few vegetarian days?

• Moderators

Have been a vegetarian for over 25 years. In prep for the whole 30 have started to eat fish and stopped eating grains and most sugar. My main concern is going from eating no meat to meat eating so suddenly might be a bit too difficult ( and a bit hard on the system).Is it possible to do the regular Whole 30, but include a few vegetarian days?

It's recommended not to combine the two plans. The vegetarian plan is a sort of compromise -- a way for people who will not eat flesh (and possibly eggs) to eat the healthiest way possible, with those restrictions. 

If you want to use the Whole30 as an elimination diet, where you eliminate the foods most likely to cause issues for people, and then after 30 days reintroduce those foods in a systematic way to determine how they affect you, you really cannot combine the two plans, as that would more than likely mean eating something like soy or other legumes or dairy, which would compromise being able to reintroduce them. 

We did have at least one vegetarian finish a Whole30 (the omnivore version, not the vegetarian version) using only eggs for protein, they talked about it some in this discussion. And we've definitely had pescatarians do Whole30s using only fish and eggs -- google Whole30 pescatarian for more on that.

Going from no meat to meat can be a tough transition. It has been addressed here on the forum before, try googling Whole30 vegetarian eating meat, and you might also find this article helpful: Eating Meat: A Primer for the Meat-Challenged

Thanks Shannon. Will look through this stuff.

I don't think I could face having eggs as my main protein source. I plan to slide into the omnivore plan with a fair amount of fish, I'm doing quite well with it so far.

As for the meat, I'm starting with a meat tomato sauce. . .

Archived