Can sugar cause....

Nausea and diarrhea? Or is that very unlikely?

Just finished my whole30 and have added in some sugars like the ones found in sausage meats or organic salad dressings etc. All things im eating are extremely natural and organic but have sugar in the ingredients - even though it says 0grams on the nutritional info or something very minimal (So we're talking very small amounts)

I've been having gastro issues since stopping w30 - I tried reintroducing a food group and it didn't go well so I returned to whole30 compliant foods for a couple days. Even with the whole30 compliant-ish foods (the sausage I mentioned above) I'm still having gastro issues. Is this likely a flu bug and not the minimal sugar? (My best friend, husband and son have all had diarrhea or thrown up this week as well... Mine has just hung on the longest) trying to trouble shoot and hoping its not this minor amount of sugar or I'm not sure how im ever going to eat anything again!

Sounds like you have the same thing your family members have. Hope you all feel much better soon!

If you do not want to lose weight while eating Whole30 (or Whole30ish in your post-Whole30 phase) we want you to actually eat. We don't want you to snack. Eat a mini meal featuring protein and fat. Or eat a full meal following the template of protein, fat, and veggies. You can add a fourth, fifth, or sixth full meal if you are hungry, have a very fast metabolism, are very active, premenstrual, etc. Eat up!

But, err, not until you feel better. Sending healing thoughts.

• Moderators

Believe it or not, I find that when I do get sick, it is never as bad as those around me with the same malady. I chalk it up to the power of my body to fight things off more powerfully because it isn't wasting energy on fighting to digest grains, etc.

Anecdotally, and I do not think your small amounts of sweeteners would apply here -- when I have a rare sugar binge, I have come down with a minor bug a few days afterward. Sugar does suppress the immune system. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-suppresses-immune-system/#axzz3TTUdRW5K

Archived