Electrolyte supplement

Wendy262

• Moderators

No, you don't need a supplement. You need to eat a balanced diet that includes foods rich in potassium, calcium, and magnesium. High potassium foods from natural food sources like dark leafy greens, potatoes, squashfishavocados, mushrooms, and bananas. Foods rich in calcium include canned salmon with bones, sardines, dried figs, bok choy, kale, almonds, orangces, turnip greens, and seaweed. High magnesium foods include dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fish, avocados, bananas, dried fruit, and more.

Don't forget to add salt to your foods too.  Conventional wisdom has made us so afraid of added salt.  But since you are eating whole foods and not processed crap in boxes or crinkly packages, you don't really need to worry about your salt intake being excessive.  

Of course, Gatorade is out for a whole30 (and completely unnecessary even when you're not on a whole30), but you could try your own hydration drink of water, sea salt, mineral salt, lemon juice, and lime juice if you're into endurance sports.

Elete Electrolytes is Whole30 approved. http://elete.com/

I'm a group fitness instructor and I use them more in the summer when I get even hotter/sweatier teaching my classes...especially my water aerobics class. They have little to no taste.

I agree that most people don't need something like this, but if you are doing high endurance athletics in a lot of heat or sweat more than most people (me) then they might help.

Bath in epson salts and natural calm might also help with the leg cramps. Be careful with natural calm because it can cause GI issues if you include too much too quickly.

Maybe coconut water? You can buy it in powder for as well as 'fresh' and that's not a bad way of rehydrating, but that will only help if your cramp are caused by dehydration and not something else, like a magnesium deficiency. Also bananas have potassium in them...

Thanks everyone! I saw the elete electrolyte link on the whole 30 website. I'll try natural methods first- running long distances on indoor treadmill due to the five feet of snow- I am a sweater, also- puddles around the treadmill- maybe a few nutritional tweets will do the trick- thanks again

Archived