Energy and positive changes came...and went? Feeling Foggy

Hi,

I am on day 24.  I didn't have too much difficulty the first few days, which was positive.  I had better energy, I felt my teeth/skin were stronger/clearer, I fit in a pair of trousers that I didn't prior to starting the whole30 and I felt more emotionally balanced which for me is a major thing.

I started getting stomach cramps after eating around day 15, which continued for about 5 days.  For the past 4 days or so, a fog has descended.  I feel tired, disconnected, achy, heavy. Headache that comes and goes, achy neck/shoulders/hands.  Feel slightly nauseous quite a lot of the time.  I haven't changed my eating throughout.  I've been eating 3 eggs for breakfast with 2 cups of veg, usually onions, carrots, broccoli and a small amount of sweet potato.  Lunch I have been having vegetable soup with chicken, usually onions, swede, carrots, parsnip.  For tea I have been having Bolognese, cauliflower fried rice, lamb neck stew, roast veg and meat.  I have tried increasing my sweet potato and also adding in a little white potato but it hasn't made any difference at all.  Some days I have had a portion of fruit and some days I haven't.  On maybe 7 days out of the 24 I have had a portion of nuts. I really don't like avocado or olives! 

I am not hungry, so I feel confident that I am getting enough of each of the foods, sticking as closely to the template as I can, usually towards the upper end of the suggested amounts.

Maybe I need a supplement or something to help?  Oh, and it hasn't coincided with a specific time of my menstrual cycle, so I don't think it can be that?

Thanks

To me it sounds like you just might be sick. Try getting some extra rest and fluids and eat foods that are easier to digest. If your symptoms don't seem to be connected to anything in particular you are eating then it will probably pass as you heal and stay the course.

Stefanie, I've had similar symptoms the past few days (I'm on day 25).  Tired a lot and some mild nausea.  Yesterday in my work, I had to be careful because if I moved too quickly, I felt a little light-headed.  Now, for me, I think that means two things...one, I'm not truly eating enough and two, my metabolism is changing somewhat.  I don't have any concrete evidence for the 2nd...it's just a feeling.  I know I'm not sick...the nausea is more of a "blech" feeling and feels hormonal more than anything else.

When I did my first W30, I saw some of the biggest changes in the last week...which is another reason I think some kind of "shift" happens for me later in W30. So maybe, if you can, indulge the sleepy feeling...get more rest for a couple of days and see if that helps.  I think, too, if you've been eating mostly the same thing every single day, try making a change in your foods...find a different protein to eat, drop some vegs while adding in others so that if you are missing something, you can get it naturally vs taking a supplement.

Archived