Hello!

I'm Shannon, I'm a food addict. In fact, I'm a recovering binge eater and laxative user. My first binge was when I was about 8 years old during a argument my parents were having. And so started my new way of coping.

I was raised by two people who seemed like they had everything going for them on the outside, but they were actually not as they seemed. They decided to adopt me when I was 10. I was emotionally abused and so were the other kids that were adopted. They had a hold on me that I can't even explain to this day, I knew something was off and so I turned to food. When I was in high school, I started figuring out what was off and started trying to control my eating. Thus began 10 years of yo-yo dieting and only gaining weight.

I moved out when I was 20, but it wasn't far enough away, they still controlled me. So when I turned 21 I moved to Chicago to be with my high school boyfriend and then when we were 23 we moved to Los Angeles. When I was 24 I slowly started to work on my past and try and overcome my binge eating, it back fired and the abuse continued. I started taking laxatives to try and control the binges.

I got engaged to my wonderful high school sweetheart just before I turned 25! Again, I tried working on things with my adoptive parents and again it didn't work. I had to cut off all communication, it was tough. They stalked me and called me a liar, but I stood fast.

Now as my 26th birthday has just rolled past and my upcoming wedding approaches, I realized I still continue to let them control me even without them in my life physically. I'm constantly living my life on the sidelines. I'm not doing that anymore, I'm reaching out to get help (from a therapist (soon, hopefully)) and from anyone that I can.

This Whole30 will be one of the hardest things I've done, I can promise you that. But, I'm looking forward to completing something.I'm looking forward to the benefits.

I won't lie, I'm concerned about the weight loss, but what really enticed me was the fact that I could control my cravings by eliminating my triggers. That I could have more energy. That I could have health benefits.

That I could live.

I'm reaching out to get help (from a therapist (soon, hopefully)) and from anyone that I can.

Welcome Shannon. My, what a road you've traveled so far.

Glad you'll be getting support from a therapist.  You might also want to take a look at this information on Whole30 and eating disorders.

http://whole30.com/2014/06/dear-melissa-eating-disorders/

Hi Shannon - I hope you are doing well !  I would be interested in following your journey !    I can relate however my story is opposite - got adopted by wonderful family - it is my birth family that has caused me issues.   I can honestly say that posting will help you put the triggers to your eating in focus.   I used to jump to the booze and the food and now I come here...   It has helped me through losing my cat, my dog's issues, and my ex issues !  to name a few.

Good luck in your journey !

Hi Shannon - I hope you are doing well !  I would be interested in following your journey !    I can relate however my story is opposite - got adopted by wonderful family - it is my birth family that has caused me issues.   I can honestly say that posting will help you put the triggers to your eating in focus.   I used to jump to the booze and the food and now I come here...   It has helped me through losing my cat, my dog's issues, and my ex issues !  to name a few.

Good luck in your journey !

Hi Tina!

Day one done!

I would love to hear more about your Whole30 and how it's helped you in more detail :)

And, I see we are both located in WI, how cool!

Shannon.

Shannon,

I'm so sorry about your family. I can relate on a few levels. My mother was emotionally abusive and I turned to food as a child (cookies didn't yell) and ended up weighing 235 lbs by high school. I've since lost and kept off 70 lbs. I've had to cut her out of my life as well, which was hard but so much better for me in the long run. Additionally, I adopted my kids when they were 6, 8, and 10 and I cannot imagine how hard things must have been for you. To think you've finally got a safe place to live only to be abused. I am so sorry. Good luck on your health journey.

Jen

Archived