Starting April 13th

Bridge125

OK I ate black beans with pork roast and sweet potatoes. I've always liked black beans, grew up on them, so I hope they are fine. So far so good. If I can add black beans and rice (cooked with onion and garlic) to my meal rotations I'll be waaaay happy.

This has been a really good Whole30 for me. Having you folks as support has made it meaningful. And I followed my decision to make meals VERY simple, and that worked beautifully. I bet I ate 10 foods like Kirkor, haha. It was really a good way to handle a stressful month. Thanks everyone! :wub:

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AmyS:Now, folks, go throw away your freaking scales. Better yet, put them in your driveways and drive right over them.  LOVE IT!!!♥ I dont own one.

I am not ready to "quit" my whole30 yet...but Im also not counting days anymore. Today was the last day of gross anatomy (class I am a TA for)- the professors brought in donuts, the students had cookies, muffins, cake, soda. Everywhere I went today....part-ay! I drank my black coffee and ate my stuffed pepper, avocado and berries with them. I was more easily able to say no thinking "I just dont eat that"...or maybe it is a 'whole30 habit'?? I also was up at 3 am writing a paper that was due today before my long day- and even my lack of sleep and stress didnt weaken my resolve. Im sitting drinking my kombucha in a wine glass tonight contemplating the end of the whole30 I guess. But I really dont miss anything food-wise. (I do miss my wine...BUT do I indulge in that only on special occasions or just on weekends? Idk...I havent decided on that yet.)

And I followed my decision to make meals VERY simple, and that worked beautifully. I bet I ate 10 foods like Kirkor, haha. It was really a good way to handle a stressful month.

Atta girl!!  ;)

I found one thing that I missed....Pho! I am going for Pho today from my favorite place. See how I feel afterwards ;-). I am probably going to be incorporating some "desserts"soon-  now that the weather is getting warmer- like coconut milk "ice cream" this weekend. I love crushed pineapple and coconut milk in the ice cream maker.  

Pho is so awesome, it's true!  I know for a lot of people it's all about the noodles, but did you know you can have them hold the noodles and they'll do broccoli & cauliflower instead? So you still get the yummy funky meats and broth etc. (good for us keto folks)

OK, so - legumes get a pass for being less horrible than cauliflower! Woohoo! Haha Actually, I discovered I am not as big a fan of peanut butter as I am of the memory of eating it as a kid. I ate a ton (yes I measured it, what.) yesterday and meh. And of course I know I love black beans, so they were delicious.

What I'm not sure of is how to incorporate these foods into my meals. I think that once I try out rice, if it's neutral as I imagine, I'll try my classic comfort-food beans and rice combo and add some shredded beef and avocado (Venezuelan style), and I bet that will be filling. The beans were good with shredded pork and cubed sweet potato too, but I needed more fat.  MOOOORE FAAAAT!!!

I'm trying to sort through beans being less disruptive than cauliflower, but cauliflower being considered a healthy choice and beans a less healthy choice. I mean, I can barely sniff at a cauliflower without paying for it for days. I will not voluntarily eat it again in my lifetime. Beans, on the other hand, get a pass. For instance, I'm imagining on an upcoming long haul flight that I'll be able to pack beans and rice and plenty of olive oil drizzle, and be fine. If I ate cauliflower, no one on the plane would be my friend by the time we arrived. Why does this mean that cauliflower is better for me? I truly don't know.

• Administrators

Why does this mean that cauliflower is better for me? I truly don't know.

It's not.  Cauli is not better for you as the unique human you are with your unique physiology.  No blanket rules here!  ;)  :P

What I'm not sure of is how to incorporate these foods into my meals. I think that once I try out rice, if it's neutral as I imagine, I'll try my classic comfort-food beans and rice combo and add some shredded beef and avocado (Venezuelan style), and I bet that will be filling. The beans were good with shredded pork and cubed sweet potato too, but I needed more fat. MOOOORE FAAAAT!!!

You should definitely try some alternative ways to eat black beans. I have a great black bean burger recipe where I throw them in a food processor with a ton of veggies. Onions, garlic, peppers, broccoli whatever you wish (obviously not cauliflower) add an egg to bind it. so good. then you can top it however you like! avocado... tomato... sprouts.

I've even made black bean brownies. I know. I know. sounds weird. totally delicious!!!!

Beans! Brings me back to my vegan days. I think I ate every combination of beans/rice/veggies immaginable back then. I don't miss those days at all. But I was also low fat so it really lacked the satisfaction. If I could have added coconut oil I bet it would be so much better! So you can have all the beans and I will take all the cauliflower! Hehehe

Beans! Brings me back to my vegan days. I think I ate every combination of beans/rice/veggies immaginable back then. I don't miss those days at all. But I was also low fat so it really lacked the satisfaction. If I could have added coconut oil I bet it would be so much better! So you can have all the beans and I will take all the cauliflower! Hehehe

I was a "flexitarian" for several years (mostly vegetarian, sometimes vegan, occasional meat), and your point about the fat is so true. I became a huge grazer because there wasn't enough fat to keep me satisfied for more than 2-3 hours. I thought the protein (meat or non-meat) was supposed to keep me satisfied, but doing the whole30 made it really really clear that fat is the necessary component, at least for me. Yesterday I ate two chicken burgers with lunch, and the only fat I had (other than the bits of avocado in the burgers) was a small amount of cheese, which I was reintroducing. I was STARVING by dinner. I'm definitely going to be more liberal with the coconut oil as I move back toward a less-meaty diet...

And thus the balance of the universe is maintained. Haha

Pho is so awesome, it's true!  I know for a lot of people it's all about the noodles, but did you know you can have them hold the noodles and they'll do broccoli & cauliflower instead? So you still get the yummy funky meats and broth etc. (good for us keto folks)

I wish I read this before going! I did have the noodles, but I just love the steak and the broth with the lime, cilantro, basil and bean sprouts. I will have to ask for extra veggies instead of noodles next time! :D I do feel a little bloated- I haven't had that "full belly" feel in a while and it was kind of uncomfortable. I think it was the noodles :wacko:  

I'm sitting here watching my husband mindlessly eating a bag of pretzels, after he's already had a bowl of ice cream and twice as much dinner as me. Wow that used to be me! It's amazing how much my appetite has changed now.

So, I just watched a movie at a friend of mine's insistence. it's on Netflix and it's called FedUp. it discusses exactly what's in good and how the government, lobbies, the fast food and healthcare industries and schools are spending billions to promote bad food. if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.

OK, so! I neglected to consider that the reintro period is really mostly Whole30 eating, with smatterings of other things. Therefore my lunch today was (drum roll please)...

3 Applegate beef hot dogs smothered in mustard

1 can of sliced beets drenched in balsamic vinegar and EVOO

I know. I know. I take a bow. I believe I just won Weirdest Lunch Ever On The Planet there. 

Must shop soon.  Non-gluten grains aren't until Sunday! :ph34r:

Late to the party, congrats all, great reading all the progress everyone made! I stepped into this to curb my sugar dragon and for the tiger blood. My dragon is behind bars because it's day 31 and I'm in no rush to put a baked good in my mouth anytime soon.

Victories:

- Better, uninterrupted sleep, and pop right out of bed when my alarm goes off.

- Fogginess and slight nasal congestion I use to have in the morning is gone.

- Steady energy through most of the day, until the early eve when I tend to start feeling weak and hangry.

- Lost 3 pounds and feel leaner

- Learned to make delicious clean food

Frustrations:

- Wasn't able to find the combination of foods to perform at my pre W30 athletic level. Tried more starchy veggies on game days and the suggested pre workout meals, only to repeatedly not have the energy to sprint up and down the field like I am used to.

- Tiger blood is misleading. It's not what I would say the majority of w30ers claim to feel.

Decided I owe myself a proper re-intro cycle, so I introduced gluten during lunch and dinner today. So far so good, which brings me to a question. If I feel no changes after introducing a food is it crucial to follow that with two w30 days or will one suffice before moving on to another food? I would appreciate any advice to an accelerated but still meaningful re-intro cycle.

I know you've got that trip coming up, and yes one day between would be better than none, but the trouble is that some things don't have an immediate reaction and with a quick reintro you could end up with overlapping issues.

Maybe you could reintro gluten and dairy (for example) with 2 days apart and then just hold off on soy & legumes until after the trip? 

BUT, what's the worst case?

If you maintain your good W30 habits with regard to template eating etc. to set you up for success even when eating off-plan foods, if in the next couple weeks you're feeling funky, then you can always do another 30 when you have more time for a 2-week reintro.

• Administrators

Late to the party, congrats all, great reading all the progress everyone made! I stepped into this to curb my sugar dragon and for the tiger blood. My dragon is behind bars because it's day 31 and I'm in no rush to put a baked good in my mouth anytime soon.

Victories:

- Better, uninterrupted sleep, and pop right out of bed when my alarm goes off.

- Fogginess and slight nasal congestion I use to have in the morning is gone.

- Steady energy through most of the day, until the early eve when I tend to start feeling weak and hangry.

- Lost 3 pounds and feel leaner

- Learned to make delicious clean food

Frustrations:

- Wasn't able to find the combination of foods to perform at my pre W30 athletic level. Tried more starchy veggies on game days and the suggested pre workout meals, only to repeatedly not have the energy to sprint up and down the field like I am used to.

- Tiger blood is misleading. It's not what I would say the majority of w30ers claim to feel.

Decided I owe myself a proper re-intro cycle, so I introduced gluten during lunch and dinner today. So far so good, which brings me to a question. If I feel no changes after introducing a food is it crucial to follow that with two w30 days or will one suffice before moving on to another food? I would appreciate any advice to an accelerated but still meaningful re-intro cycle.

As far as tiger blood, whatever people are claiming to feel is certainly their experience but not everyone feels it in the "smacked on the back of the head" way. Sometimes it's just about feeling good. Content, happy, calm. Just...good. With energy to do chores or take a walk rather than couch surfing. I've had both but I think I prefer the "good" version because for me it fits my life better.

Regarding reintro, we do recommend the two days in between because some reactions are not immediate. Should you introduce something else and then get a reaction, you won't know if it's an immediate reaction from the second thing or a delayed reaction from the first thing. Personally I don't think 2 days in between is long enough, some reactions to things like wheat are depression, sadness, anxiety etc and I think that takes longer to show. So accelerated? Sure, you get to decide what you do. But recommended? No.

I know you've got that trip coming up, and yes one day between would be better than none, but the trouble is that some things don't have an immediate reaction and with a quick reintro you could end up with overlapping issues.

Maybe you could reintro gluten and dairy (for example) with 2 days apart and then just hold off on soy & legumes until after the trip? 

BUT, what's the worst case?

If you maintain your good W30 habits with regard to template eating etc. to set you up for success even when eating off-plan foods, if in the next couple weeks you're feeling funky, then you can always do another 30 when you have more time for a 2-week reintro.

Thanks kirkor, that's what I was thinking. Reintroduced gluten on day 31 and will reintro non-gluten grains on day 34. I can avoid dairy, legumes and sugar until I get back from camping.

As far as tiger blood, whatever people are claiming to feel is certainly their experience but not everyone feels it in the "smacked on the back of the head" way. Sometimes it's just about feeling good. Content, happy, calm. Just...good. With energy to do chores or take a walk rather than couch surfing. I've had both but I think I prefer the "good" version because for me it fits my life better.

Regarding reintro, we do recommend the two days in between because some reactions are not immediate. Should you introduce something else and then get a reaction, you won't know if it's an immediate reaction from the second thing or a delayed reaction from the first thing. Personally I don't think 2 days in between is long enough, some reactions to things like wheat are depression, sadness, anxiety etc and I think that takes longer to show. So accelerated? Sure, you get to decide what you do. But recommended? No.

Would suggest marketing it not as "energy through the roof tiger blood" but more like balanced, tuned into the force, Jedi.

Archived