Starting April 13th

Bridge125

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok...so. I just had a bit of an argument with a girl I work with. Please tell me if I am being a know-it-all because it totally would not be the first time I've heard that. 

She is a "vegan". I put that in quotes not because I have anything at all against those who choose not to eat meat. I understand the argument that killing animals for food is cruel and that the meat packing industry could use an overhaul...I get it. It's just delicious in my opinion but I digress. I put it in quotes because she is really more of a not-eater. I have been in my current position here almost 3 years and I have NEVER seen her eat. Not one thing. Not a snack. Not a meal. Nothing. If I were to guess I would say there is certainly some kind of eating disorder there. So, I was in the kitchen washing out my dishes and she came in to get water and coffee. She asked me how the diet was going. I answered her with the same stock answer I have been giving everyone who casually shows interest. "Actually it is really more of a lifestyle change and it is going great"! Then she says to me, "You know, you would probably feel even better if you stopped eating animal products and focused solely on vegetables and fruits. I never eat more than 300 calories in a day and I am always full. I especially love broccoli. I could eat that all day". Alright, now maybe smiling and nodding would've been the best response but I am not really a smile and nod kinda girl. I'm more of an "I have no filter" kind of girl. So I got a little irritated and I said to her, "You know there are a lot of benefits to eating meat. In fact, there are a lot of benefits to eating in general. I feel better now 24 days in to this than I have...probably ever".

Now, please keep in mind that this girl has missed 15 days of work this year. Colds, migraines, etc. She is often gaunt, dark circles under her eyes, a new ailment every other day. She was actually just out yesterday with a migraine and came in today looking like the walking dead. I told her that she could totally do this and incorporate other forms of protein in to her diet that were not meat. She could add good fat like avocado, nuts, bananas, seed butter, etc. and that she would feel so much better. She looked at me like I just slapped her in the face. She was like "Oh no. I never eat bananas or avocados. Do you know how much fat and calories are in there"? Well...seeing as how I had just eaten guacamole at lunch I guess my defense went up a bit. So I went back at her and said I just had avocado with my lunch. In fact, I had a bit at breakfast too. I just learned that the right fats and the right amount of fat can actually do great things for your body. To which she responded...

Wait for it...

If you keep eating all that fat, than you will always be fat. 

I wanted to punch her in the face. Can't lie. Allllll up in her face. How very dare you. Granted I am not the tiniest person in the world but I am certainly not fat thank you kindly. It took all I had to pick up my stuff and turn and walk out of the kitchen. When I got back to my desk I really thought about what had just gone on and I can only come up with one thing. She is unhappy. Sick, unhealthy and unhappy. I am sure she, like others here that I am friendly with, have noticed the positive changes in me since beginning this. I think that she realizes that what she is doing to herself will ultimately cause great damage to her body and her organs and I think she is resentful. I also think "fat" really scares her. As a fellow female I can sort of relate to that. We are all told all the time what the "perfect" female body is meant to look like. You worry constantly about calories, fat, sugar, carbs, these jeans, that dress...it's exhausting really.

I am extremely grateful and definitely call it my greatest non-scale victory during my 24 days that I have learned about my true relationship with food. I am so happy that I know the positive and healthy things I am doing for my body and how far beyond just a scale it goes. It has helped me to look past nasty little negative comments and look at the bigger, healthier picture.

And...it kept me from punching that B in the face.  

• Administrators

That is definitely a brutal conversation, SO sorry you had to go through that.  If I only ate 300 calories or less in a day I would be dead. Flat out.  D. E. A. D.  That is ridiculous. Unfortunately that is the kind of mindset that is impossible to have a conversation. She also clearly believes all of the conventional wisdom about everything nutrition related and that is hard to compete with on the best of days, let alone with someone highly disordered.

You did good, not punching her is a good result!  ;)

That is so sad :(  She clearly cares more about the scale than her health.  There's no way she will live a very long life eating like that.  But I guess you can live by example and maybe in the long run she will see how healthy you are and if she hits bottom maybe she will see that you are right. 

Yeah, that is some serious extremism. 300 calories a day is not even a diet, I think that really would qualify as an eating disorder. Also, although nutrition science is an imperfect science and seems to keep changing its mind, I think the "fat makes you fat" myth has been pretty darn well debunked. But everyone is following their own path, and it's just a shame that she has to come along and make you feel bad when you should be enjoying the results of your whole30. 

300 calories a day means she has a very serious eating disorder. If your workplace has any interventions or services for this kind of thing, it would be good. She's not long for this world. That's very very sad.

Sounds more like anorexia than vegan to me, unfortunately. I'm having a hard enough time subsisting on 2000 w30 calories, I can't imagine 300 (4 eggs or a large avocado).

I have intentionally avoided mentioning I am on w30 for several reasons. I read somewhere in the preparation that we should do the opposite ... announce it to our community to create support and accountability. But I find dietary choices can be as divisive or righteous sounding as politics. I happen to come from a family and community that eats lots of processed foods and I don't want to alienate them nor preach just yet, especially when there are so many diets out there and the science keeps changing. Not long ago, fat was public enemy #1 and today healthy fats are all the rage. My long lost friend the carb is catching all the flack today. Is proteing next? W30 is a relatively new approach and I've noticed that many folks in the forums have done w30s before only to slip back to their old ways/weight, and are back for a w30 fix. This sounds yo-yo-ish to me.

Not trying to be contrarian, I have seen many positive changes during my experience and plan to carry forward a mostly w30/paleo lifestyle and share it with family/friends. Just saying we have to be careful in the diet vs diet debate because there is no silver bullet.

Then for a minute, I wonder if w30 is sustainable for a country or the planet. I live in CA where we are facing a four year drought. Turns out meat and eggs have the highest water footprints of any foods. I also studied energy and know that meat and eggs are quite energy intensive and so from a dietary standpoint, contribute most to climate change.

Then for a minute, I wonder if w30 is sustainable for a country or the planet. I live in CA where we are facing a four year drought. Turns out meat and eggs have the highest water footprints of any foods. I also studied energy and know that meat and eggs are quite energy intensive and so from a dietary standpoint, contribute most to climate change.

*shrug* I dunno, I don't think it's so cut & dry:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25697-what-would-happen-to-the-economy-if-whole30ish-eating-became-the-norm/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20246-sustainability-of-whole30/

Wow...so much conversation I missed yesterday! Im still alive...and Whole30ing here. Day...24? I dont even know now, lol. But I made it past Day 22 :-D. I was busy busy busy with submitting my abstract the past 24 hours...

SarahRoseyCheeks: It sounds like that girl at your work has an eating disorder.

Kirkor: SWYPOUT! LOVE IT...laughing hysterically ♥

I know it's a bit early, but I just want to throw out some High Fives to each of you! We've got an awesome little group going here :)

Today was a good day. No cravings! Had energy to go outside and do some gardening...twice! Ate well. And now ready for a good nights sleep.

Hmm I'm beginning to wonder if I do have some issues with eggs. Yesterday I felt great all day and had no eggs. Now today after my egg breakfast I feel like I'm in a fog. So it's just confirming for me that I should do AIP next. But thinking about giving up all the fresh tomatoes and peppers from my garden this summer is kinda heartbreaking. Maybe I'll just give up eggs until day 30 and see if it makes a difference first and then decide.

Oh my...I am having a tough time today. The closer Mother's Day is getting the worse I am craving drowning my sorrows in really bad food. I keep thinking of all the ways I would love to just go nuts. I've stayed on track but every meal I keep looking down wishing it was something else. 25 days in and I start to feel like this now?!?! I just really need to get through Sunday and I will be ok. Eye on the prize, I guess. 

sararoseycheeks, did you sign up for the daily emails? one of the emails this week talked about possibly having strong cravings this week - your brains last temper tantrum before that bad habit goes "extinct!"

I battle with mild cravings in between meals (3pm and 9pm), but overcome them by realizing I've come to far to fold now .. and busying my mind with something else. Tea also helps. Patiently waiting for the pizza slice and beer party I'm having for myself next week.

@rugarcia, I hope you get a chance to do a full reintro before your pizza & beer party -- it really is the best way to get the most out of the program. Otherwise, if you end up feeling poorly after the party, you won't know whether to attribute it to the gluten, dairy, oils, sugars, additives, alcohol, etc. You'll be back to square one in terms of the personalized subjective knowledge an elimination diet like W30 can provide.

Oh my...I am having a tough time today. The closer Mother's Day is getting the worse I am craving drowning my sorrows in really bad food. I keep thinking of all the ways I would love to just go nuts. I've stayed on track but every meal I keep looking down wishing it was something else. 25 days in and I start to feel like this now?!?! 

Me too! Nothing to do with Mother's Day, for me, but definitely today has been one of the worst for wanting to drown my sorrows in food. I keep giving myself pep talks, and I know I'm not going to give in to a stupid craving with so few days left, but the food thoughts are nagging. @ginephre mentioned that this is apparently typical, which makes me feel a little better, because otherwise I'm thinking "What was the point if the sugar dragon is just going to come roost on my head anyway???"

@rugarcia, I hope you get a chance to do a full reintro before your pizza & beer party -- it really is the best way to get the most out of the program. Otherwise, if you end up feeling poorly after the party, you won't know whether to attribute it to the gluten, dairy, oils, sugars, additives, alcohol, etc. You'll be back to square one in terms of the personalized subjective knowledge an elimination diet like W30 can provide.

Kirkor, day 30 for my partner and I is Wednesday. The Monday after, we are taking her 4th grade class camping for the week so we only have Thursday through Sunday to do a little reintro testing. What do you recommend?

Okay, for those of you are amused/horrified by what people call whole30 in social media, here's a good one for you: http://teressajane.com/2014/12/completingawhole30tips/

It goes all wrong from the very beginning, starting with fruit and veggie cups (not a meal), and moving on to bacon candy, homemade larabars, and smoothies. Oh, and she's also selling meal plans, which ramps up the uncool factor. The sad thing is I came across it on Twitter, where it had been retweeted by Penguin Books Canada, and retweeted again by what I think is the official Whole30 twitter account! I don't want to call them on it publicly, but I can't find a way to direct message them. Maybe @AmyS can let them know?

Me too! Nothing to do with Mother's Day, for me, but definitely today has been one of the worst for wanting to drown my sorrows in food. I keep giving myself pep talks, and I know I'm not going to give in to a stupid craving

word!!!! me either. definitely grateful for that link. it helped.

Okay, for those of you are amused/horrified by what people call whole30 in social media, here's a good one for you: http://teressajane.com/2014/12/completingawhole30tips/

It goes all wrong from the very beginning, starting with fruit and veggie cups (not a meal), and moving on to bacon candy, homemade larabars, and smoothies. Oh, and she's also selling meal plans, which ramps up the uncool factor. The sad thing is I came across it on Twitter, where it had been retweeted by Penguin Books Canada, and retweeted again by what I think is the official Whole30 twitter account! I don't want to call them on it publicly, but I can't find a way to direct message them. Maybe @AmyS can let them know?

Thank you - since the person is selling something and calling it Whole30 this may warrant a look-see by the head honchos. I'll forward it on.

Hi Everyone! Im feeling like Ive been sailing this week- no major cravings. We had a pot luck lunch party at work today and I brought a case of seltzer waters, guac, salsa, chips ans a veggie tray. I just didnt eat the chips ;-). I also ate my real lunch beforehand!!! :-) My pants are fitting better and I was rockin the confidence today.

I cant believe some of the stuff people are tagging as whole30 either in Ig. Most of the stuff Ive seen is SWYPO crap. But that girl selling whole30 meal plans for $10/month...oy vey...call the Whole30 police! (Kind of kidding...kind of not kidding...I dont think that is right!) But is their loss really...if they cant commit to fully eliminating sugar and do their best to follow the template- they are just cheating themselves.

I take back the stressful 24/7 on-call phone tomorrow-until the end of May. Im worried about continuing my good eating with the stress! Maybe Im worrying about nothing, but Im feeling so good- I just want to stay feeling good. (I used to drink - an almost nightly- glass of wine to deal with the stress...so Im not sure how Im gonna handle it without my crutch!)

I think one of the downsides to having so much FREE available content on whole30 is that it's going to be prone to knockoffs and half-assery. weight watchers has that magical point system that nobody can access unless they have a WW membership. In the end those people are only cheating themselves, but they also are the ones more likely to cry "whole30 doesn't work! whole30 is a sham!" and dilute the amazingness of the REAL whole30 program.

Actually, @ginephre, you bring up a good point about WW, because yes, they try to keep the plan pretty well under wraps, and have the $$$ to go after people who try to give it away on the internet, but there's still a whole lot of misinformation out there for WW too. People post their recipes with totally miscalculated points, and unless you are a seasoned member or a big skeptic, you're like "Wow, that Beef & Cheese macaroni pie is 2 points per serving? Cool, I'm eating that every day this week!" Sadly, I think people want to be fooled. Anything that makes it easier...

Archived