Post workout vs breakfast for the non movers

leigh

A question on the meal templates. So first off - I'm not an exerciser. I have a desk job where I sit half the day and the other half the day I volunteer in the community which admittedly has me walking but it's a far cry from exercising. I'm trying to add some basic exercise to my routine so I'm doing couch to 5 K and a bit of swimming a few nights a week. The running (I use the term loosely ) is right when I wake up and after I get home I have to get ready and leave so not much time. According to the meal templates, I'm supposed to eat when I get up, a post workout meal, AND breakfast all within essentially 1.5 hrs. I can't help but think that this is appropriate for these cross fit athletes but for me it's just overkill. How much does my body really need to recover from 39 min of jog/walking?? Really - I'm carrying an extra 50 lbs of "energy reserve " which if be more than happy to have my body use first! Lol.

Here's what I did today:

Just after I woke up - 1 piece compliant chicken sandwich meat

30 min jog - according to my heart rate monitor I burned 370 calories

Post workout : 2 pieces of chicken sandwich meat and a roasted sweet potato. ( I read I'm not supposed to add fat to this meal but I roasted the potato in coconut oil - how bad is that)

I don't think I can face more food at this point. Maybe I could do a cup of soup? Maybe. But how badly do I really need this much food?

The pre and post workout recommendation is most helpful for those doing either high intensity or longer duration activity.

In your case, you might try just having something within an hour of waking (as you did with the chicken), and then a template-based meal any time after 30 minutes after your workout ends.

In your case ignore the postWO and have a regular template M1.

The "avoid fat postWO" is based on preferentially shuttling protein & carbs into broken-down and glycogen-depleted muscle tissue, which does not apply in your case.

Archived