Started 4/18, already "cheated" twice

cideon

Hey everyone. So I'm doing the Whole30 mainly to get rid (or at least learn to control) my sweet tooth. Otherwise it's to loose a few pounds (though likely more from the aforementioned, heh). I normally drink a lot of diet sodas, so I'm trying some teas to help prevent too bad of a caffeine withdrawal headache. Well yesterday I had an instant coffee I'd hoped would taste good, but nope. Come to find out cane sugar is one of the ingredients though it certainly didn't taste that way. Tonight I tried the coffee here at work but OMG it was foul without creamer/sugar! Not even like a nasty black-coffee, it was just gross in general. So I was happy I'd brought some tea from home, Yogi Tea Vanilla Spice Perfect Energy. Tasted pretty good (especially compared to how I've had to force myself to drink plain chai, and I learned I cannot stand green tea alone yet). Read the ingredients and saw stevia leaf was one of them, DANG IT! 

Going to have to make a big undertaking of finding a drinkable instant coffee and safe tea I guess. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions? If I can't find anything though, at least I think the tolerable chai tea will help me decrease caffeine needs until I can just go to water. Which frankly tastes better than the tea at this point ;)

But otherwise, guess 4/20 will be my real start day, ugh. At this rate I think my whole30 will be like 2 months long... 

Going to have to make a big undertaking of finding a drinkable instant coffee and safe tea I guess. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions? If I can't find anything though, at least I think the tolerable chai tea will help me decrease caffeine needs until I can just go to water. Which frankly tastes better than the tea at this point ;)

I think it would be tricky to find a palatable instant coffee. For brewed coffee, the better quality, the better the taste. I'm currently a fan of Carpe Diem Coffee's Decaf Thunderbolt Blend. http://www.carpediemcoffee.com/p-142-decaf-thunderbolt-blend-1lb.aspx

Regarding tea, if you have a Trader Joe's near you, I like their Ruby Red Chai.

@Tom I called it cheating because it's a commitment that I broke ;)

@GFChris Good point on lack of good instant. If I don't drink coffee for the caffeine, I might as well just do water then though. . No TJ around, but I'll keep trying more teas. At least it's different in the palate :)

Regarding tea, if you have a Trader Joe's near you, I like their Ruby Red Chai.

Bad news: I checked today, and it's been discontinued.  Replaced by the Rooibos Honeybush (non-chai). They do still have the regular spiced chai.

Thank you kirkor, that was very nice of you! I had ended up buying a lot at Target and a health food store, and I think plain Earl Grey may be my go-to tea for now. Still have a few other boxes to try though, heh.  

Archived