Starting 27th April

Amz

TGIF!! Hello All, just checking in and happy to say I'm feeling great. Might even be tasting the tiger blood!! Going to be another busy weekend so I'm off to grocery store now to prep. Our very first Whole Foods store just opened very close by and I'm excited to go check it out, and maybe add some more variety to my Whole 30. 

Have a great day!!

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Sunday to everyone. Day 21!

How is everyone doing? I hope that everything is going well and that each person's W30 is settling in and becoming a natural way of things rather than a "thing" we have just a few more days to get through. :)

Last night we had "perfect pan-seared steak" a la w30, drizzled with roasted red pepper butter. Then I made zoodles (totally my new favorite) and sautéed them with onion, more bell pepper, celery, and some braising greens. To finish it off, mashed sweet potato to which I'd added just a bit of canned coconut milk and coconut oil, salt, and pepper. I seriously don't remember ever eating so well as I have for the past three weeks.

Hubs and I went to the driving range and hit our first bucket of golf balls for the season. Ugh! sore and stiff this morning, guess an extra-long hot shower's in order to 'work out the kinks,' right? :-)

Susabella - Right on! So happy for you! Let's hear more about that Tiger Blood! What does it feel like for you?! What fabulous things did you find at Whole Foods? Anything new and amazing?

Gina - How'd your BBQ go a few days ago - the hot-dog-apalooza? How'd you like Testadura's special?

WeebleMom, AlisaO, Testadura, Amylyzz - how are you ladies!?

Have a great rest of your weekend, everyone!

I'm feeling pretty good.  Still waiting for the Tiger Blood, but definitely less fatigued/sleepy in the afternoon, not feeling the need to constantly snack like before, and getting much more comfortable with all the cooking.

Two big accomplishments for me (really, they're little, but they feel big for me!):

1) My husband and I went out to dinner and I asked for the salmon and veggies to be grilled without butter, and a plain baked potato.  I had put some ghee in a little tupperware in my purse, and I scooped it on the potato when nobody was looking.  I was so happy to eat a meal I didn't have to cook!  And it was delicious, and then I couldn't eat even half of it, so now I get to eat it again for lunch tomorrow.  ;-)

2) My in-laws came over for brunch today and all the food I made was Whole30 (except the bagels my husband picked up) and nobody had any idea.  I was so pleased!

Starting to worry a little about maintaining better habits after the strict guidelines of the 30 days are over -- but that's a later post.  ;-)

WeebleMom, AlisaO, Testadura, Amylyzz - how are you ladies!?

I'm still going strong.  My daughter was in the ER twice this week... needless to say, life has been crazy!  "Tiger Blood" is seriously helping me survive.  We have a family reunion next weekend, which I am nervous about.  I need to research on how to travel and W30 at the same time successfully.  I want a little hot plate to cook eggs in my hotel room. :)

Hi Alisa - I'm so glad you found time to post! I hope your daughter is doing better, what a difficult weekend. I'm sending good thoughts your way!

There are many, many threads and tips on the website with ideas for travelling. IMO, it comes down to how much time *you* personally have to prepare ahead: such as hardboil eggs, cut up veggies, maybe bake some chicken breasts, add some chunks of cooked potato/yam. If you are able to pack a small cooler with lots of proteins and vegetables and your favorite sauces, you might find that takes a huge load off during your trip. If you have less time but a little more budget, I read about a lot of folks taking cans of tuna or chicken, packets of mayo, store-prepped veggie trays, etc. If you can find some compliant jerky or something like a few Epic bars, those can be good meal components to help round out the garden salad or other partial-but-compliant meals you can order when away.

Hope this helps, and that you find what you need to get ready!

Edited to add:

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-travel.pdf

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/24656-need-to-carry-lunch-and-dinnerin-my-purse-all-day/

My goodness is it really day 21 - I have to say I'm very surprised at how fast this going and there is a small part of me that is nervous about the next step. I may have to continue my Whole 30 until I am confident I won't fall back into bad habits.  It's so hard to explain but I wouldn't say I am having cravings at all, but there is still a part of me that wants to have a scoop of frozen yogurt or steal one french fry off my daughter's plate. I will say that I love how I feel now that I have removed all the processed foods and I would never want to go back to feeling the way I used to so I'm hoping that is what keeps me on the right path. 

Weeble - no accomplishment is too small - Kudos to you!!

Alisa - hoping your daughter feels better... good luck on your upcoming weekend, I know you can do it and please share any helpful hints you discover. With summer approaching there will be many weekend getaways!!

Espie - thanks again for all your sound advice and encouragement!!

Happy Monday!

Hi Alisa - I'm so glad you found time to post! I hope your daughter is doing better, what a difficult weekend. I'm sending good thoughts your way!

There are many, many threads and tips on the website with ideas for travelling. IMO, it comes down to how much time *you* personally have to prepare ahead: such as hardboil eggs, cut up veggies, maybe bake some chicken breasts, add some chunks of cooked potato/yam. If you are able to pack a small cooler with lots of proteins and vegetables and your favorite sauces, you might find that takes a huge load off during your trip. If you have less time but a little more budget, I read about a lot of folks taking cans of tuna or chicken, packets of mayo, store-prepped veggie trays, etc. If you can find some compliant jerky or something like a few Epic bars, those can be good meal components to help round out the garden salad or other partial-but-compliant meals you can order when away.

Hope this helps, and that you find what you need to get ready!

Edited to add:

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-travel.pdf

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/24656-need-to-carry-lunch-and-dinnerin-my-purse-all-day/

Thank you, Espie.  This is exactly what I need.  My daughter is slowly recovering.  

Good morning, everyone! Happy Day 23! One week left for the core 30 days :-)

Who has been thinking about reintro plans? I've been reading and chatting on the forum, and it seems to me that how a person works through re-introduction is nearly as important as the actual W30 itself.

There are several ways to manage a re-intro, and each person's is as different as they are.  But what appears to be critical is to *have a plan* in mind before it starts, rather than getting to Day 31 and falling face-first into a taco bar. ;-)

Who's been thinking about it or researching? Anyone have any thoughts yet? Or have worked through it even further and have a defined plan for themselves?

If anyone's looking for more info, here are a couple of great places to start - dig in, there is a TON to read all over the site and forum.

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/36-whole30-reintroduction/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/26337-order-of-reintroduction/

Amylyzz, are you around? How are you doing? Still planning to continue to Day 37?

What else is going on for everyone? Anything fun? New awarenesses or challenges? Sucesses?

I have learned that I LOVE zoodles and am not a fan (at all) of spaghetti squash. Which was a big surprise to me because I was "force OD'd" zucchini in my youth from an over-zealous family garden year after year, and as a result thought I hated it. I think I am loving zoodles so much because my spiral cutter cores out the liquid-holding middle, so the zoodles stay firm even when cooked.  And I love every type of squash, so I was pretty surprised when spaghetti squash earned a big "meh" from me. I tried cooking it both cut in a boat-shaped half and in rings. It's just too bland for me, and kind-of mushy. Give me zoodles and cauliflower rice anyday!!

Also, I tried Melissa Joulwan's Velvety Butternut Squash recipe with canned pumpkin. If you're looking for something creamy and spicy, try it, it was delicious.

I'm struggling today, mentally.  I'm not having any trouble eating compliant foods or following the meal template.  I'm enjoying the food.  And to be fair, I have noticed a serious decrease in the desire to snack between meals, so that's terrific.

But I don't feel any different physically.  I don't feel more energetic, more rested, or happier/calmer/less cranky.  I know I can't expect an entire mood makeover from a 30-day eating plan, but there is so much talk about tiger blood and renewed energy and zeal.  And to be honest, I'm feeling a bit cheated.  

Am I just lagging behind on the timeline, and it's coming?  Am I expecting too much?  I'm not really sure what to think.  I'm committed to continuing to the end of 30 days, and to doing a slow reintroduction to see if any particular foods make me feel worse (maybe I feel better and don't realize?).  But, there it is.  Just needed to vent.  Thanks!

Am I just lagging behind on the timeline, and it's coming?  Am I expecting too much?  I'm not really sure what to think.  I'm committed to continuing to the end of 30 days, and to doing a slow reintroduction to see if any particular foods make me feel worse (maybe I feel better and don't realize?).  But, there it is.  Just needed to vent.  Thanks!

I'm sure you've read it on the site and in the forums (and not that it helps when you're feeling this way), but everyone does have a different timeline and a lot of people need more than the initial 30 days to really feel Tiger Blood, etc.

I had one Tiger Blood day at the start of the second week, and then not again since. Knowing that feeling... and then losing it... makes my pretty bummed sometimes. I feel that the Tiger Blood might be coming back, but it's slooooooooow, and I really had to crack down on eating template, cutting out almost all fruit, and upping healthy fat and water intake. I also just started my period today (a couple of days late, not too much), and I think all the hormone changes from W30 cleaning out + my cycle have had a huge impact on getting to Tiger Blood & energy things for me.

If you have time and feel like it, you might take 5 minutes to sit down and really think about and record any differences you do feel or see. For example, my energy isn't off the charts, but I don't feel that I must nap or fall over on the spot each day. My sleep is a world of difference: I fall asleep immediately and wake up sharp before my alarm. That is hugely rare for me. My pants don't seem to fit differently at all, but I've tightened my bra band a notch. I can see muscles moving under the "padding" in my forearms for the first time in 15 years.

I hope you find some changes that make it all feel worth it for you! And maybe you might need 3-5 or so more days to feel the magic. If so and you feel it's worth it, we'll be here to support you! :-)

I'm sure you've read it on the site and in the forums (and not that it helps when you're feeling this way), but everyone does have a different timeline and a lot of people need more than the initial 30 days to really feel Tiger Blood, etc.

I had one Tiger Blood day at the start of the second week, and then not again since. Knowing that feeling... and then losing it... makes my pretty bummed sometimes. I feel that the Tiger Blood might be coming back, but it's slooooooooow, and I really had to crack down on eating template, cutting out almost all fruit, and upping healthy fat and water intake. I also just started my period today (a couple of days late, not too much), and I think all the hormone changes from W30 cleaning out + my cycle have had a huge impact on getting to Tiger Blood & energy things for me.

If you have time and feel like it, you might take 5 minutes to sit down and really think about and record any differences you do feel or see. For example, my energy isn't off the charts, but I don't feel that I must nap or fall over on the spot each day. My sleep is a world of difference: I fall asleep immediately and wake up sharp before my alarm. That is hugely rare for me. My pants don't seem to fit differently at all, but I've tightened my bra band a notch. I can see muscles moving under the "padding" in my forearms for the first time in 15 years.

I hope you find some changes that make it all feel worth it for you! And maybe you might need 3-5 or so more days to feel the magic. If so and you feel it's worth it, we'll be here to support you! :-)

Yes, there are differences.  For example, I used to nod off over my book during lunchtime, and fight to stay awake on the freeway on the way home in the evening.  So I'm not as sleepy and lethargic as I used to be.  And that's good!  But I don't leap out of bed in the morning any easier than I used to, and I still really just want to sit on my couch and do nothing in the evenings.  I'm still going to the gym, but I'm not seeing any difference in my "output".  I guess I'm being greedy, because I am seeing small changes -- but I wanted big changes!  I'm committed to the 30 days at least -- so I guess i have to be patient and wait and see what the last week brings.

Thanks so much!!

Guest testadura

Good morning, everyone! Happy Day 23! One week left for the core 30 days :-)

Who has been thinking about reintro plans? I've been reading and chatting on the forum, and it seems to me that how a person works through re-introduction is nearly as important as the actual W30 itself.

There are several ways to manage a re-intro, and each person's is as different as they are.  But what appears to be critical is to *have a plan* in mind before it starts, rather than getting to Day 31 and falling face-first into a taco bar. ;-)

Who's been thinking about it or researching? Anyone have any thoughts yet? Or have worked through it even further and have a defined plan for themselves?

If anyone's looking for more info, here are a couple of great places to start - dig in, there is a TON to read all over the site and forum.

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/36-whole30-reintroduction/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/26337-order-of-reintroduction/

Amylyzz, are you around? How are you doing? Still planning to continue to Day 37?

What else is going on for everyone? Anything fun? New awarenesses or challenges? Sucesses?

I have learned that I LOVE zoodles and am not a fan (at all) of spaghetti squash. Which was a big surprise to me because I was "force OD'd" zucchini in my youth from an over-zealous family garden year after year, and as a result thought I hated it. I think I am loving zoodles so much because my spiral cutter cores out the liquid-holding middle, so the zoodles stay firm even when cooked.  And I love every type of squash, so I was pretty surprised when spaghetti squash earned a big "meh" from me. I tried cooking it both cut in a boat-shaped half and in rings. It's just too bland for me, and kind-of mushy. Give me zoodles and cauliflower rice anyday!!

Also, I tried Melissa Joulwan's Velvety Butternut Squash recipe with canned pumpkin. If you're looking for something creamy and spicy, try it, it was delicious.

This is good to hear...i ordered a zoodle maker and cant wait for it to arrive as i am getting tired of my standby Whole30 meals and craving pasta BAD. 

Hi, All

Sorry I haven't posted the past couple days. My husband was away and I had a busy weekend with the kids. I can't believe it's day 23. I am not experiencing tiger blood feelings but I suspect that is partly due to the fact I got my period over the weekend. I got wind of that tiger blood feeling for a couple of days halfway through so I know what it feels like (I walked around with a smile and a pep in my step all day). I want it back!

Let's see...my BBQ on Saturday went well despite the temptations. I ate three complaint hot dogs (they were skinny) and dipped them in mustard and had a salad. That's all I could eat at the entire party!
I did not like the scramble Testadura shared :mellow: but I really think I've learned I just don't like coconut oil. Every time I cook with it I dislike the flavor. I discovered refined coconut oil which I cook my eggs in, as refined has no flavor. That's the key!

Espie, your post about reintro is perfectly timed. I've been thinking heavily about it, as well as reading about it. I'm starting to map my plan. I decided against the "slow roll" as I am optimistic that I will not have issues with any foods. I woman can hope! I will follow the 10 day sample plan as outlined in the book. BUT... if things get suspect I will slow it down and make sure I determine culprits. I did not do this for 30 days to mess up the reintro!

Weeblemom - As hard as it is to hear, you may need to prepare yourself to do 45 days or more.

Good Morning all, 

Definitely starting to think about reintroduction, thanks for the links Espie. Weird as it sounds the thing I really miss is greek yogurt. Before whole 30 I was eating at least one yogurt a day and I really miss it. 

Weeble - hang in there! Sounds like you are experiencing some positive changes, and I'm sure there will be more! 

Gina, glad to hear things went well at the BBQ!

and OMG I made zoodles for the first time yesterday, LOVED them so much I had them for lunch and dinner, then ran to the grocery store to buy more zucchini. I just use a julienne peeler - so quick and yummy!!

Have a great Day!!

Still struggling a bit mentally.  My eczema, which had started to calm down, has flared up again (and I was really hoping to identify a food that was triggering it, so that just may not be the case).  I am making a point to go to sleep earlier but not feeling less tired.  I am seeing the resurgence of some bad habits like snacking between meals (I'm snacking on compliant foods, but I know that's not the point).  I am starting to "miss" foods which had been okay with giving up earlier in the program.  I know it's common this late in the program (at least according to the timeline) to have cravings again, something about your brain making a last-ditch effort to get that sugar back in your system.  I had a dream last night where I idly ate a piece of bread out of the basket at a restaurant and had to start over.  Is this just 

I'm committed to finishing my 30 days (actually 32, because I have a blood test scheduled and I want the results to be from a "clean" Whole30), but I'm so, so worried that I will quickly fall back into my bad habits.  I think if I was experiencing tremendous physical changes, that would be enough of a carrot to keep me going, but I feel pretty much the same.  I know I'm probably much healthier, but I need a stronger incentive to keep from falling back into long-ingrained bad habits!

Not really looking for advice (yet!), just wanted to vent and let you all know where I am at.  Thanks for all your continued support!  I still have a week to go, so maybe wonderful things will happen for me and I'll be energized to keep up my wonderful new eating habits.

This week has been a tough one for me, too.

I have been exhausted - not just tired, but wanting to sleep 14 hrs a day deep-body tired. I don't know if that's because my hormones are trying to regulate this cycle, or my body is still balancing, or what. But it's been four days now of this; and I'm going to bed on time, falling right asleep. I'm waking up about an hour early but I've been trying to fix that by darkening my room + earplugs, etc. And I still need naps and want to sleep all the time.

I have been sick of food. I just don't want to eat anymore, Which is vastly different than a month ago, when I wanted to eat all. the. time. Now nothing sounds good, especially not meat or protein. I'm still eating a fairly large bfast, because I know that without it I feel bad and hungry and snacky later. But after M1 I'm just not really interested in food. Some cold, fresh veg and fruit seems good, but why am I all the sudden not at all interested in Template combinations? Starchy vegetables and meat are turning me off right now (ps. not preggers... ;-))

I also got hit hard by the sugar-dragon this week. I think it may be that last-ditch effort you were mentioning. Something strange is definitely going on in the interior war.

Hang in there!

Hi Guys - I'm offering my support as you get through harder days.

I'm having cravings and not enjoying meals at this time. Thankfully tonight I found pre-made fresh swordfish steak kabobs at my grocery store. Hubby grilled them. I really needed that new flavor! Trouble is, in truth, I want to eat my old foods. Waa Waa!

WeebleMom - I'm in a similar boat... have acne on my upper chest and neck and was so hoping this would clear it. My rosacea is better and my dandruff is gone. But still having breakouts. Maybe just not enough time yet. I've held off on treating it with my medicine thinking then I wouldn't know if the diet cleared it up. But thinking I need the meds to clear this up after all.

Hi Guys - I'm offering my support as you get through harder days.

...Maybe just not enough time yet. I've held off on treating it with my medicine thinking then I wouldn't know if the diet cleared it up. But thinking I need the meds to clear this up after all.

Thanks for the support! I hope you find the right balance between what foods help & the minimum amount of meds to manage. Hugs!

Sending out lots of love and support to all! I'm struggling with food choices too - it's not the sugar dragon exactly, but I just want to be able to include healthy grains and dairy. I guess I'm bored with the food choices even though I am trying very hard to mix things up. Energy level is also a little down from last week, but I also haven't had time for my daily walk the past few days and I know if I get that in early in the day it's an energy boost. 

Hang in there everyone!!

Hello, all!

Day 26! Can you believe it?!

Thanks so much for the encouragement, I feel like I'm on the upswing again. I'm not sure what happened at the start of this week, but wow it was tough. I'm going to chalk it up to hormones working overtime to remember what a normal baseline should be like, and keep moving ahead.

Feeling much more energy. Food is starting to sound good again, but I am definitely noticing a difference in that I'm just not interested in eating until it's mealtime. This is such a huge difference from how I've felt for the last 15 or more years, when any unscheduled moment was a good time to eat. (And most scheduled moments, as well...)

One thing that I did note was that I was trying other starchy veg during the slump other than sweet potato - white potato, pumpkin, turnip. I'm back to sweet potato as my mostly exclusive starchy veg - whether that was the culprit or it was just timing with everything else working through my system, maybe I'll find out at a future point if I do a structured reintro. But since I'm a pretty massive sweet potato fan, this is all fine with me for the time being. Another lesson learned: I don't really like ground turkey. Food that doesn't taste GREAT is definitely a problem for me at this point, so I'm just going to stick to what I love until things settle down a bit.

How's everyone else today? Getting ready for a lovely weekend? Do tell!

Espie

Thanks guys -- obviously I'm not happy to hear you are struggling, but it does make a challenging week a bit easier to take, to know I am not the only one having these issues.  Glad to hear others are also having some difficulty with food boredom, lack of energy, etc.   I hope all of us discover renewed energy and lots of great benefits in this last week!!  

Haven't been on in a long time!

Sounds like I'm in sync with everyone here, hungry, not hungry, lots of energy, zero energy, food is good, sick of the same food!! Anyway, it looks like everyone is doing great!

I'm happy to say I survived my birthday and some busy long days at work that totally screwed up my eating schedule! Hard to believe the first 30 days are almost over!! I feel like I've made the change I needed to and will continue this way of eating. The next go around though I'm following the auto immune protocol for RA. I could have done it the first time but I wanted to make sure I could stick with Whole30 first, now it's just a matter of cutting a few other things out.

Anyone else anxious about stepping on the scale? I know I've lost weight, EVERYTHING fits better, tightened the belt quite a bit and I look much less bloated.

Hi :) Day 28. Wowza.

I went out to breakfast this morning. Not an easy feat, but actually did well. Ordered steak (plain) and eggs and had my eggs poached to ensure no butter. Side of fruit instead of toast. This was the first time I had poached eggs in my life. I can't believe I made it to 41 yrs old without a poached egg. LOL. Delicious! Especially with steak.

Tomorrow is a day to collectively remember our fallen troops. It's also a day typically filled with BBQ parties. I'm going to one also. I'm so glad I found those compliant hot dogs at Target!

Archived