Starting 27th April

Amz

Guest testadura

Weeble-Great job with ice cream cake!!!  I am not sure I would have been able to have pulled that off.   

Gina-Those are great habits to keep going after the 30 days.    That is what I plan to do to.   

Susabella-I understand the pity party.   Friday night I had my paint night.   It was hard to watch my friends drink wine and enjoy all the goodies, since I was limited to the fruit and veggie tray.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.    This weekend, I have to admit I was tempted a few times, but resisted.    I am feeling more confident about my ability to make it to the end.   My plan is to reintro slowly and try to stay paleo the majority of the summer.   In August or September, I plan to do another round of Whole30 to refresh my head for the change of seasons, which means a change in our family's crazy schedule.

Amy

Hey that is a great idea: do a Whole30 at the start of every season...? :-)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is a good news/bad news post:

The good news -- I am definitely changing the way I eat.  Yesterday I heated up leftover garlic shrimp for lunch (yum!) and instantly thought "Wait -- I need some veggies with this to make it a full meal."  So I grabbed a giant handful of spinach and sauteed it quickly in ghee.   So the meal template is definitely lurking in my brain!  I'm worried about it staying there after my 30 days are up, but I'm trying not to go looking for trouble, so we'll just leave it there for now!  ;-)

The bad news -- I am feeling very grouchy and sad and basically sorry for myself today.  I have yet to notice any significant physical changes (I am REALLY hoping for more energy from this) and I know everyone goes through the timeline at a different pace, but I'm really ready to see some results!  And I'm really tired of spending four hours in the kitchen every Sunday prepping food so I can get through the work week with compliant food available.  And I cooked my own breakfast for mother's day because my husband was afraid of giving me something wrong.  And we spend all day Saturday at a theme park, and I didn't even eat a plain burger patty because they couldn't tell me what it was seasoned with.

Sorry -- I seem to have a little pity party going on.  I think I just needed to vent, and I know it's typical to feel frustrated at this point in the program.  Hoping things start to feel better later in the week.

Hope everyone is in a better mood than I am today -- happy Monday!

Weeble - Good for you, on staying strong over the weekend!

I am right there with you - super grumpy today, want to eat all the things. Very tired today (though that is at least 50% my own fault for staying up late, I'm sure that messed with my whole sleep cycle), and while looking at my face in the mirror this morning, I spent a lot of time wishing I could see some changes after what feels like weeks and weeks of effort.  Then I have to remember, it's only Day 15; even though I started cleaning up my eating a few weeks earlier, it certainly wasn't *clean*, you know? When I'm working this hard, it's a challenge to remember that I spent ~30 years getting to this point, it's not all going to change in 2 weeks (or 4 weeks).

I'm really wanting a scale or tape measure today. Things sort-of feel different, but I don't know for sure. Lots of thoughts in my head this morning about "is it worth it?" The logical/rational part of my brain knows the answer is yes, but that doesn't stop some other parts of my brain from yelling "EAT THE SNAX!"

Have a good day today, stay strong! I'll be thinking about you and sending you good thoughts!

There seems to be a little theme today. I have been down in the dumps since last evening. To be honest, I'm being a total baby about this but it has totally affected my mood. (I guess food still has quite a hold over me emotionally) Here's the (brief) story...

What I really wanted for mother's day was to go out to breakfast and enjoy a sweet indulgent meal like I usually would on a special day. Instead I ate at home feeling kind of bummed. Then decided I would treat myself to Chipotle for dinner. I've read all about the complaint meal I could get there (lettuce, carnitas, guac, and mild salsa). I looked forward to it all day. (see the problem here?). Got there after a mother's day gathjeirng at my mom's where I could not enjoy the cheese and crackers etc., and the new Chipotle location in my town did not have carnitas yet. So... family was able to get food. Me? Nope. Went home to an unplanned meal and whipped up eggs and spinach, etc. I actually cried. LAME.

Still feeling sorry for myself today. Forced my breakfast down. I need an attitude adjustment. Quick.

Guest testadura

Weeble and Espie and Gina,

I feel that way sometimes too (i was flat out blue on friday for some reason) but then I remind myself: what i was doing before was not working. i didnt feel well, i was gaining weight, eating too much crap just out of convenience, and wanted a change, ANY change! So at the very least even if we think we are not seeing changes or feeling tons better, we all started for a reason and it sure beats what we were doing before which for me was like trying to climb up a sandhill :-)

Just keep going. Go on autopilot if you have to and dont over analyze if it brings frustration. Think of how far we have all come! I mean I still cant believe I am sticking to this! Example: when i tried weight watchers points I had eaten my daily alottment of points by 11am each day hahahaa

There seems to be a little theme today. I have been down in the dumps since last evening. To be honest, I'm being a total baby about this but it has totally affected my mood. (I guess food still has quite a hold over me emotionally) Here's the (brief) story...

What I really wanted for mother's day was to go out to breakfast and enjoy a sweet indulgent meal like I usually would on a special day. Instead I ate at home feeling kind of bummed. Then decided I would treat myself to Chipotle for dinner. I've read all about the complaint meal I could get there (lettuce, carnitas, guac, and mild salsa). I looked forward to it all day. (see the problem here?). Got there after a mother's day gathjeirng at my mom's where I could not enjoy the cheese and crackers etc., and the new Chipotle location in my town did not have carnitas yet. So... family was able to get food. Me? Nope. Went home to an unplanned meal and whipped up eggs and spinach, etc. I actually cried. LAME.

Still feeling sorry for myself today. Forced my breakfast down. I need an attitude adjustment. Quick.

Not lame.  

You know what helped me?  I repeated it over and over to myself for one year...still do -

Another binge is not a cure for a food addiction.   It's a redirect.   It snaps me right back out of it.  

You have to find your redirect.  We use these for training animals...horses, dogs.   We give them a redirect to snap them out of bad habits.   Find one that works for you.   Something you can use when you're at the razor's edge of falling back into thrill eating or wanting a food reward.

Our family heart surgeon gave me that redirect.  There aren't enough binges in the world or thrill eating sprees that will ever fix a food addiction.  One more quick blow-out is never quick....jmcbn taught me that one. 

P.S.  I'm not surmising that you have a food addiction...but how I redirect myself from falling back into old habits.

Weeble and Espie and Gina,

I feel that way sometimes too (i was flat out blue on friday for some reason) but then I remind myself: what i was doing before was not working. i didnt feel well, i was gaining weight, eating too much crap just out of convenience, and wanted a change, ANY change! So at the very least even if we think we are not seeing changes or feeling tons better, we all started for a reason and it sure beats what we were doing before which for me was like trying to climb up a sandhill :-)

Just keep going. Go on autopilot if you have to and dont over analyze if it brings frustration. Think of how far we have all come! I mean I still cant believe I am sticking to this! Example: when i tried weight watchers points I had eaten my daily alottment of points by 11am each day hahahaa

Excellent pep talk, TD! You put a smile on my face with that last line... ah, I remember the days... ;-)

• Administrators

One more quick blow-out is never quick....

For me what helps is telling myself that a cupcake, an ice cream, a piece of chocolate or whatever isn't enough. One will never be enough.  A dozen won't either.  I can never eat enough ice cream or chocolate or whatever to heal what is hurting.  Knowing that one cookie isn't going to fix what I need fixed in that moment allows me to determine if the cookie is still a relevant option. If what I wanted was a cookie, then sure.  If what I wanted was to feel loved or to not feel stressed about work or to not be worried about a family member's health then no, the cookie is not a relevant choice.

Guest testadura

Does anyone have a weird fuzzy feeling on the insides of their teeth? So the part of your teeth that face inward... mine feel fuzzy  ... like coated in velvet or something no matter how much i brush.... anyone else experiencing this? and is this a side effect of finally eating healthy lol?

Hello, All. It's Day 17! What the what? :D

I seem to have come out of my funk but it took a couple of days. I feel really good this morning. The thread was eerily quiet yesterday so I hope that means folks are just living their lives and content and maybe not as consumed with this. On the other hand, daily check-ins have REALLY helped me.

A few things to share...

- I am finding myself checking my meal plan less and less and just instinctively knowing what and how to cook. (p.s. I still don't enjoy cooking)

- I have my nephews first birthday party this weekend with my big Italian family. Can you say "food!"? My brother is having a hot dog bar. hmmm. I found complaint hot dogs at Target and will ask him to grill me up a couple. I'm bringing the salad! It will not be easy for me as but I'm prepared.

- My husband is going away for 3 days so it's just me and my 2 little kids and he does most the cooking. (did I mention I do not enjoy cooking?). I need to put my big girl panties on and do it all this weekend.

- I almost never weigh myself but just because I can't I have wanted to every day. I have not. I am fitting into clothes I have not worn in months so I guess that is my "tell" that I am changing my body shape.

That's all I got.

Let me know how you are doing!

Hello All, 

Gina, happy to hear you are feeling better! Love all your positive notes, thanks for sharing!!

Wow - Day 16 for me and  I have to say I am less obsessed with food. When I started whole 30 (or any other wellness plan in the past), I can't help always thinking about my next meal, and the meal after that. Now I find myself, like Gina, instinctively knowing what to eat and not obsessing about it. Feeling very energized and know there are some good things happening to my mind, body and spirit!

Thought I would share, found a fresh salsa in my local produce aisle, only ingredients are chopped tomatoes, onions, green & red peppers, cucumber, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and salt. I spoon this on everything, fish, chicken, eggs, etc... and it really adds a lot of favor. Will always make sure I have some on hand. 

Have a great Day!

Good morning everyone!

Gina and Susabella, what great news and progress! It's so good to hear what everyone is experiencing.

So - the grumpiness, tiredness, and puffiness I was experiencing... PMS. Yep, it totally snuck up on me. But once I realized that, my entire mood changed. I'd been frustrated about progress slowing down, but the PMS flag helped me to see how much *better* I feel this month than I have in years. Yes, puffiness but not full on bloating. Sore back and boobs? Nothing yet. Tiredness - just a couple of days instead of nearly a week. Grumpiness? Meh, that was the same but I'm ok with it ;)

Like Gina and Susabella, cooking & meal prep is getting easy. The key for me has been to keep pre-cooked meat & sweet potato in the fridge. From that, I can choose to spice up leftovers or cook new. That's been so helpful. I definitely need to up my condiments game. So far I've made only a mayo/dill/lemon sauce, which has been great, but I need some pizazz. I love that today's Daily30 mail is all about making sauces. I'm going to do a few and probably something wild from the book.

Gina - you are doing SO great. I love your bright approach and positivity. I also love hearing how you're approaching your upcoming family shindigs with smart planning. You've got this, babe!

Susabella, you are fabulous. I love hearing about your progress. Can you smell the Tiger Blood in the air!!?!

Have a great morning everyone! We will ROCK this!

Waiting, waiting, waiting for the tiger blood!  Hope it comes soon!  But that being said, I am noticing a couple of habit differences.  I don't desperately want a snack while I'm sitting on the couch watching tv anymore.  I'm more conscious of being sure to include vegetables and healthy fats with each meal.  

I'm not feeling particularly different physically, but I am grudgingly happy about the better eating habits.  ;-)

I'm also finding interesting solutions to some problems.  I have brunch with my in-laws this weekend, and was dreading having to explain myself while I tortured the waitress....so I invited them over!  I will make a giant frittatta, and compliant bacon, and fruit salad!  And I can pick up bagels for everyone but me, but I'm okay with that.  So happy I thought of a way to not have to discuss my program if I don't want to!

But some nights, I REALLY want a glass of wine.   <_<

Guest testadura

Waiting, waiting, waiting for the tiger blood!  Hope it comes soon!  But that being said, I am noticing a couple of habit differences.  I don't desperately want a snack while I'm sitting on the couch watching tv anymore.  I'm more conscious of being sure to include vegetables and healthy fats with each meal.  

I'm not feeling particularly different physically, but I am grudgingly happy about the better eating habits.  ;-)

I'm also finding interesting solutions to some problems.  I have brunch with my in-laws this weekend, and was dreading having to explain myself while I tortured the waitress....so I invited them over!  I will make a giant frittatta, and compliant bacon, and fruit salad!  And I can pick up bagels for everyone but me, but I'm okay with that.  So happy I thought of a way to not have to discuss my program if I don't want to!

But some nights, I REALLY want a glass of wine.   <_<

What is a compliant bacon brand? Thanks!

What is a compliant bacon brand? Thanks!

It's Pederson's, and I found it at Whole Foods and at Sprouts (I live in Los Angeles).  Be careful, there is more than one kind by this brand, but one specifically says "no sugar added" and "paleo friendly" on the front label, and if you read the ingredients it is compliant.  I bake it in the oven per the Whole 30 recipe in the book, and it comes out great!

Guest testadura

Same here, strong on day 18. Just survived a work breakfast where 7 out of the 8 of us ate gourmet pancakes from Snooze!!! I was surrounded by strawberry shortcake, chocolate lava and pineapple upsidown pancakes! aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.  Honestly the smell of those plus butter plus syrup was sickly sweet and they are all comatose at their desks LOL! Maybe thats why the restaurant is called Snooze haha. Still... it was hard! 

Same here, strong on day 18. Just survived a work breakfast where 7 out of the 8 of us ate gourmet pancakes from Snooze!!! I was surrounded by strawberry shortcake, chocolate lava and pineapple upsidown pancakes! aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.  Honestly the smell of those plus butter plus syrup was sickly sweet and they are all comatose at their desks LOL! Maybe thats why the restaurant is called Snooze haha. Still... it was hard! 

You crack me up, and I think you nailed it! (And good for you, for hanging in there!)

This is my go-to, favorite lunch to bring to work: grass fed ground beef browned in coconut oil with onions, plus baked sweet potato and butternut squash cubes topped with half an avocado and frank's hot sauce. Keeps me full and happy til dinner! 

I'm going to try this for dinner tonight. Thanks for the share! I'll let you know how I like it. I won't blame you if don't like it. Promise! :D

Archived