Allergies

I am on week 2 of whole 30 and it has been going great until 3 days ago. I'm not sure if it allergies but my chest and sinuses are completely congested. I don't feel sick, no flu or cold lately either. I don't usually have seasonal allergies and certainly never an allergic reaction this severe. Could this be a detox symptom or am I just allergic to spring all of a sudden? Any help would be appreciated and tips on dealing with allergies please!!!

It is usuallly helpful in these instances for you to post a couple of days worth of food for the mods to look over just incase there might be something you are eating that's causing a reaction. It could just be spring, but it could well be something else....

• Administrators

Yes, please post food. It could very well be though, that your immune system is otherwise occupied helping to rebalance your body and as such is not as robust as normal so could be dealing with seasonal allergies differently than it has in the past.

Breakfast: banana, nuts (almond, macadamia)

Lunch: cauliflower rice, chicken, broccoli, snap peas cooked in coconut oil

Snack: kiwi, carrots

Supper: meat (either grass fed beef or store bought chicken) sweet potato, green beans

Snack: Orange, coconut butter, collagen

I cook my food pretty plain, usually just in coconut oil with salt and pepper. Twice this week I had cabbage/ground beef/stewed tomato/cauliflower rice for lunch instead of what I listed but otherwise that list is a very typical day. I prefer to stick to the same foods for the most part. I change up my veggies at supper.

Nuts are a fat source on whole30, not a protein, so you're missing a protein at meal one, and you're very light on veggies. Eating fruit in the morning can cause your blood sugar to spike, so you're best to replace the banana with veggies to be honest. Also nuts can be hard on the digestive system, so probably not the best choice for an early morning fat source - and I'd say your meals are low on fat in general. Lastly, the recommendation is for two pieces of fruit per day - with or directly after meals, not as snack so you might want to look at your fruit intake, and maybe re-visit the recommended meal templates in ladyshanny's signature in her post above. Sorry!!

I'm not the expert, and I'm certainly not a doctor, but unless you're suddenly eating something that you didn't eat before I can't see anything that might be causing your symptoms (other than the nuts/coconut which usually effect the digestive system rather than sinuses/chest) and I'd go with ladyshanny's opinion that your system may just be dealing with seasonal allergies differently due to the change in your food.

Breakfast: banana, nuts (almond, macadamia)

Lunch: cauliflower rice, chicken, broccoli, snap peas cooked in coconut oil

Snack: kiwi, carrots

Supper: meat (either grass fed beef or store bought chicken) sweet potato, green beans

Snack: Orange, coconut butter, collagen

I cook my food pretty plain, usually just in coconut oil with salt and pepper. Twice this week I had cabbage/ground beef/stewed tomato/cauliflower rice for lunch instead of what I listed but otherwise that list is a very typical day. I prefer to stick to the same foods for the most part. I change up my veggies at supper.

On Whole30 we ask that you eat three meals per day, each one consisting of the following:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein. That means the length, width, and thickness of your palm

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size portions of fat. A half of an avocado counts as one portion. Nuts are a fat source, not a protein source, on Whole30 (and they are discouraged since many people eat them indiscriminately and since they cause digestive distress for many).

3. 1-3 cups of veggies

Do that three times a day, the first time within one hour of waking. Each of your three daily meals should satisfy you for 4-5 hours. If, between your three meals, you feel truly hungry (as in, you could eat steamed fish and broccoli hungry), eat a mini-meal featuring protein, fat, and veggies.

Do not let fruit push veggies off your plate - fruit is optional on Whole30. 1-2 portions of fruit are acceptable, with or just after meals only.

Your breakfast features no protein or vegetables, and a less desirable choice of fat. It also includes a fruit, which gives you a huge sugar hit right at the start of your day. At lunch, make sure you add fat generously to your meals. The oil you use for cooking does not usually count, since most of it stays in the pan. Same story with dinner.

Eliminate the snacks and if you are truly hungry at those times of day, eat a mini-meal.

As for how this might affect your symptoms, I'm not sure. Are you eating more of anything than you used to? Any major changes in the kinds of foods you eat?

Archived