Oral Steroids and Managing Cravings

I'm almost through a very successful Day 3, but I went to the doctor today and he diagnosed me with an asthma flare-up and put me on a short course of oral steroids. I've taken them many times in the past, and they have always had the unfortunate side effects of giving me increased appetite and carb cravings. I don't want the stupid steroids to derail me when I've made such a good start, but the hunger and cravings are going to be real.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Do you have any advice?   

• Administrators

OK, so the next couple days may suck for you but you're in charge. If you are hungry enough to eat something bland like steamed fish and brocoli, go ahead and eat a template meal or mini meal. Cravings, regardless of how strong they are, can be gotten through. Remember that you won't have a craving for 90 straight minutes, they ebb and flow, find something to distract yourself. It's up to you to decide if the Whole30 committment is important enough to you to power through.

Think of your steroid treatment like a research paper.  There are people who are ravenous without steriods.  Cravings will pass if you resist them.   If you are eating template, it's not true hunger.  It's artificial hunger due to steroid treatment.

Melissa and Dallas have written several manifestos and pieces about cravings.   Google those and how distractions can take cravings away in 5 minutes time....all cravings are artificial hunger.

Thanks, ladyshanny and MeadowLily! It may not be true hunger, but it sure feels real when it happens. Apparently, Prednisone raises your blood glucose levels and increases insulin resistance. 

I decided to take the advice that Melissa gave in response to a question on the forum about carb cravings during PMS. That advice was to preemptively bump up starchy carb intake to diminish some of the cravings. So I asked my husband to pick up more sweet potatoes and some beets at the store, as well as some things like kale chips and shrimp and fruit that may "feel" snacky but allow me to stay Whole30 compliant. 

I'm going to assume you're rooting for me, cause I've got four crave-y days ahead!

I just thought I'd update in case anyone stumbles across this thread later who is taking oral steroids. I got through the 6 days successfully without the kind of mindless carb binge that has typically accompanied a short course. I think bumping up the starchy carbs helped, and I had a few snacks in the evenings like apple chips. But not the trainwreck I was expecting.

• Administrators

I just thought I'd update in case anyone stumbles across this thread later who is taking oral steroids. I got through the 6 days successfully without the kind of mindless carb binge that has typically accompanied a short course. I think bumping up the starchy carbs helped, and I had a few snacks in the evenings like apple chips. But not the trainwreck I was expecting.

Good News! I was wondering about you!

I added things like new potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and beets to a couple of meals a day, and had a few emergency snacks like apple chips, freeze dried strawberries, and kale chips for the evenings. My experience was that I was not starving on the steroids for a change, and I hope that will be your experience, too. Make sure you're eating enough at your meals, too.

I've been on steroids for months and am trying to wean off them. One of my tricks is to ask myself if I am hungry or bored. Also, if I'm hungry, am I willing to eat broccoli? If not, them it's a craving.

Sometimes, the only thing that works is to increase compliant carbs for a meal or two. I do find having extra carbs at Meal 1 keeps the intense hunger away.

Archived