Jerk Chicken Thighs with Coconut Cauli-Rice and a Side Salad

Eileen

15593_472537679581302_636112782219671162

Dinner last night (5/4/2015) - Jerk Chicken Thighs with Coconut Cauli-Rice and a Side Salad.

It's only my 2nd day on Whole 30. First time trying cauliflower rice. Love it! 

Yes, I used a food processor to make cauli-rice.

Here is the recipe (It's from Cook Smarts):

JERK CHICKEN THIGHS with coconut cauli-rice and a side salad

INGREDIENT

4 servings

Mixed Green Salad with Bell Peppers:

• Garlic - 1 clove, minced
  • Bell peppers, any type - 1, sliced thinly
  • Red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
  • Dijon mustard - 1 1/2 tsp
  • Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
  • Mixed greens - 4 oz

Jerk Chicken Thighs:

• Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
  • Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
  • Coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
  • Red or white wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
  • Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
  • Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced, seeded if you want less heat
  • Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 lb (use chicken breasts for lower fat option)
  • Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges

Coconut Cauli-Rice and Peas:

• Cauliflower - 1/2 head, pulsed
  • Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
  • Ghee - 1 Tbsp
  • Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 tsp
  • Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
  • Chicken stock - 1/2 cup
  • Bay leaves - 1
  • Salt - 1/4 tsp

PREP

1. Chicken - Mix together jerk or Cajun seasoning, honey, cinnamon, aminos, vinegar, and cooking oil. Slice jalapenos and add to marinade. Toss marinade with chicken and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
  2. Cauliflower rice - Double if making Thursday night's dinner. Chop off florets. Pulse in a food processor until it reaches a rice-like consistency. If you doubled, reserve half the uncooked cauliflower for Thursday. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
  3. Garlic (for rice and salad) / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)

MAKE

1. Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for coconut cauliflower rice and peas. Add ghee and then cauliflower, garlic, and jerk or Cajun seasoning to melted ghee. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant. Next add in coconut milk, chicken stock, bay leaves, and salt. Saute until cauliflower has absorbed all the liquid. Fold in peas and cook until warm.
  2. While coconut cauliflower rice is cooking, heat another skilletover medium-high heat. Brush some oil over skillet and then add chicken. Sear for ~3 minutes, flip and lower heat to medium. Cover with a lid and cook for another 3 minutes or until chicken is done (165F or 74C).
  3. Make vinaigrette by whisking together garlic, vinegar, Dijon, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss vinaigrette with greens and peppers when rice and chicken are done.
  4. Remove bay leaves from rice and serve chicken with lime wedges and enjoy with coconut cauliflower rice and salad!

Oops. I just copy-and-paste the recipe from their website, and forgot to edit out the honey and peas. I omitted honey and peas when I cooked it. You didn't need them and the recipe is still delicious!  :P

Eileen,  you're definitely a pro.   Your food is beautiful and full of adventure.  Bravo!

I don't care what you call me, just don't forget to call me for dinner.  Ring that dinner bell, Eileen.  You shine.

cooking-04.jpg

Lady, your food is SO GOOD!!!!

I can't wait to try this, hubs and I are big-time jerk fans. Yum. Please post any and all meals you want, I think I'm going to speedily become an Eileen foodie. :-)

MeadowLily & Espie, you both are so sweet! (I thought we are supposed to avoid sweets... haha.. that's my lame joke.)

I can't take credit for the wonderful recipe.

I use this meal planning service called Cook Smarts.

They have paleo recipes, and I modify them to make them Whole 30 friendly.

You can check it out: http://www.cooksmarts.com/

They give you a few free weekly menu plan to try.

MeadowLily & Espie, you both are so sweet! (I thought we are supposed to avoid sweets... haha.. that's my lame joke.)

I can't take credit for the wonderful recipe.

I use this meal planning service called Cook Smarts.

They have paleo recipes, and I modify them to make them Whole 30 friendly.

You can check it out: http://www.cooksmarts.com/

They give you a few free weekly menu plan to try.

This made me smile - I like your joke! I'll take it, it's the best type of "sweet" anyway!

You maybe can't take credit for the recipe, but you get full credit for awesome combination, lovely photo, and *sharing* it with us - that's the best part!

Archived