I am just getting started. Will find it challenging to prepare three meals a day due to working a second shift from 2:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.

How should I balance out the meals and/or what would be the ideal times to eat!!

I have my meals timed like this...so maybe you could time it something like this? I'm sure some people eat right when they wake up but I'm busy in the AM and don't want to get up earlier so I can eat breakfast so I eat a little later once my day gets settled in. I also eat dinner at least 90 minutes before I go to bed. Maybe this would help as a way to start...

Wake up 5:15 have a black cup of coffee

Breakfast 9:00

Lunch 1:15-1:30

Dinner 7-7:30

Bedtime 9:00

• Administrators

I am just getting started. Will find it challenging to prepare three meals a day due to working a second shift from 2:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.

How should I balance out the meals and/or what would be the ideal times to eat!!

Good Morning,

What time do you get up in teh morning? Do you get a meal break during your work shift? What time do you go to bed? Do you exercise? If you can give us some further details about your day, we can help you make a plan.

We recommend eating breakfast within an hour of waking.  This balances your hormones and your blood sugar, leading to the "magic" that comes further on in the program.  It also improves sleep and overall energy, it's one of the most important recommendations that we make.

If you can fill us in on your context, we can help you make a plan.

I started on Monday, too!

I have been splitting my meals, as I did before I started Whole30, for two reasons. First, I get up between 5:00 and 6:00 in the morning and I don't get to work until 8:00, so half my breakfast when I get up and half after I arrive at work keeps my energy level steady until lunch. Second, I don't get lunch on a predictable schedule, and it often is interrupted or out of the question, so splitting lunch up and eating some when I have a free moment between 11:30 and 3:30 is the only way to have lunch most days. So, if I worked second shift, I'd probably have breakfast after I woke up, might split my lunch in half and have some before and some once I got to work, and then (if I had a dinner break at work) eat dinner at my break, probably between 6:30 and 8:00 pm.

I've found for cooking, the shopping is best for a day when you don't have work, as is your major cooking day for the week. I would probably cook in the morning if I worked second shift. I did a supplemental day of cooking this week and I've found if you pay attention to some of the suggestions in the Whole30 book and on The Clothes Make the Girl, it will help multitask when cooking. I took two hours and managed to make Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup, Chocolate Chili, mini "quiches" (eggs and turkey cooked in a muffin tin) and baked acorn squash slices (to go with the pork I made earlier in the week), plus get a lot of the kitchen clean up done during that time. The time management suggestions were really helpful. I found that chopping all the veggies first helped, as did starting one thing and, while that was simmering, getting work done on the next thing. Read ahead in the recipes to see what you might be able to do while something else is cooking - during the seven minutes that I was sautéing onions for the soup, I was also mixing the spices for the chili. It was tiring, but it's made successive days much easier because now I either don't have to cook or I only cook one thing to supplement what I already have made.

I hope this helps - I am NOT a cook and I have been able to get this done without too much trouble. It's work, but it's definitely something that can be done.

I started on Monday as well and feel amazing already!!!  Biggest worry for me prior to starting was what to drink besides water.  I was a diet coke addict and coffee every morning loaded with splenda :mellow:  So I wasnt sure if I could give those up.... I have found a love for unsweet tea with fresh orange slices.  Hoping for continued success through this weekend!  Good luck to you as well

Archived