Day 3 and need a boost

So my Husband just left for a work trip yet again (Military) and will be gone for several weeks with no contact. I am trying to do whole30 so I can feel better and look better for myself and even more for our honeymoon soon. I cant seem to find the oomph right now to eat healthy. All I want to do is order Dominos, pig out, and watch chick flicks in my PJ's :wacko: . How do I get over this pathetic hump and see the light?! :huh: . This is my second round of Whole30 I did it back in 2013 so its been a bit. I loved how I felt afterwards. But right now...all I want is comfort food.

I'm coming out of a blue funk myself - and although it's not easy - it can be done.

Healthy food can be comforting.  Really and truly it can be.

I love meatloaf - and it's easy to prepare.  Along with some mashed potatoes - super comforting. And you get leftovers! 

Or some days a plain steak is just comforting.  Tonight I'm having steak with some saute red chard and some cubed sweet potatoes.

I find when coming out of a funk it is especially important to include starchy veggies.  Yes sometimes even twice a day. (Especially in the beginning of a whole 30)

Try to think outside of the pizza box - what are some foods that you really enjoy - is it "oven fried Chicken"? Or Salmon Cakes?  Let's try to think up some yummy foods that will get your taste buds happy.

That is hard! I say try to find a way to treat yourself in some other way. Maybe have a nice warm cup of herbal tea, put on a face mask, and maybe do your nails. Or, find a little project on pinterest and do that instead.  You can still watch chic flicks in your PJ's! :D Hang in there, I'm on day 3 too!!

• Administrators

One of the things I find about comfort foods also is the "just shows up" factor.  Not a lot of work, especially when you're feeling crappy.

One of my favourite comfort meals that is almost no prep:

shredded red cabbage & fresh green beans.  Cook the cabbage down until it's nice and soft, then add the green beans.  Add 2# of cooked ground meat (pork is what i use) and a double batch of sunshine sauce.  Mix it all together and you have warm, soft, flavourful with only about 20 minutes of effort.  Less if you use preshredded cabbage!  And lots of leftovers.

I'm coming out of a blue funk myself - and although it's not easy - it can be done.

Healthy food can be comforting.  Really and truly it can be.

I love meatloaf - and it's easy to prepare.  Along with some mashed potatoes - super comforting. And you get leftovers! 

Or some days a plain steak is just comforting.  Tonight I'm having steak with some saute red chard and some cubed sweet potatoes.

I find when coming out of a funk it is especially important to include starchy veggies.  Yes sometimes even twice a day. (Especially in the beginning of a whole 30)

Try to think outside of the pizza box - what are some foods that you really enjoy - is it "oven fried Chicken"? Or Salmon Cakes?  Let's try to think up some yummy foods that will get your taste buds happy.

I enjoy carbs carbs carbs and sugar lol. Anything to do with bad things. I had some cherries the other night which I know is not "recommended" but it was delicious! Not a huge meatloaf fan and love steak.

One of the things I find about comfort foods also is the "just shows up" factor.  Not a lot of work, especially when you're feeling crappy.

One of my favourite comfort meals that is almost no prep:

shredded red cabbage & fresh green beans.  Cook the cabbage down until it's nice and soft, then add the green beans.  Add 2# of cooked ground meat (pork is what i use) and a double batch of sunshine sauce.  Mix it all together and you have warm, soft, flavourful with only about 20 minutes of effort.  Less if you use preshredded cabbage!  And lots of leftovers.

Exactly! Its the not wanting to do anything further but lay around and get myself together. Comfort food is great for that (only when you eat it and than you are mad minutes later)

• Administrators

Exactly! Its the not wanting to do anything further but lay around and get myself together. Comfort food is great for that (only when you eat it and than you are mad minutes later)

Right.  So what I think you actually want is a bunch of food that just shows up so you can sit down and do a bunch of self care while your husband is deployed and out of touch.  Can you pull yourself up by your bootstraps for 2 hours? If so, I can give you an entire week worth of food to make in that 2 hours that will require less than 10 minutes of prep each night for dinner (and leftovers for lunch the next day).

Ready? Set the timer.  Go!

Hardboil a dozen eggs (2 minutes of actual hands on time)

Throw a dozen (or more) boneless, skinless thighs on a cookie sheet, throw some paprika, garlic powder, S&P at them and bake for 35 minutes at 435F (7 minutes of actual hands on time)

Roast a bunch of sweet potatoes, carrots and bsprouts (same temp & time as the chicken above)

Get two frying pans out and brown 2# of ground beef and 2# of ground pork (about 15-20 minutes of cooking time)

Shred a red cabbage, rice a cauliflower, slice some zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, green beans, dice a couple onions.  (20 minues of hands on time)

Make a pot of Chocolate Chili (about 15-20 minutes of hands on time while you are shredding veggies)

Stock pile some canned sardines, salmon, tuna, oysters (make sure they are compliant) and buy yourself a big tub of mixed greens.

Make a recipe of paleo mayo (2 minutes w/ stick blender)

Make a recipe of sunshine sauce (2 minutes w/ magic bullet or similar)

Now you have spent less than 2 hours (use the rest of the time for cleaning up and packaging) and you have a bunch of protein, a bunch of veggies, a couple sauces and you can make a billion things out of it in 10 minutes or less.  Omelettes, frittattas, hashes, curries etc.  And a week of eating this way might either spark you out of your funk or it will be something you repeat for a few weeks. Short, intense prep, lots of food ready to go...and none of it makes you mad minutes after eating it!   :)

Right.  So what I think you actually want is a bunch of food that just shows up so you can sit down and do a bunch of self care while your husband is deployed and out of touch.  Can you pull yourself up by your bootstraps for 2 hours? If so, I can give you an entire week worth of food to make in that 2 hours that will require less than 10 minutes of prep each night for dinner (and leftovers for lunch the next day).

Ready? Set the timer.  Go!

Hardboil a dozen eggs (2 minutes of actual hands on time)

Throw a dozen (or more) boneless, skinless thighs on a cookie sheet, throw some paprika, garlic powder, S&P at them and bake for 35 minutes at 435F (7 minutes of actual hands on time)

Roast a bunch of sweet potatoes, carrots and bsprouts (same temp & time as the chicken above)

Get two frying pans out and brown 2# of ground beef and 2# of ground pork (about 15-20 minutes of cooking time)

Shred a red cabbage, rice a cauliflower, slice some zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, green beans, dice a couple onions.  (20 minues of hands on time)

Make a pot of Chocolate Chili (about 15-20 minutes of hands on time while you are shredding veggies)

Stock pile some canned sardines, salmon, tuna, oysters (make sure they are compliant) and buy yourself a big tub of mixed greens.

Make a recipe of paleo mayo (2 minutes w/ stick blender)

Make a recipe of sunshine sauce (2 minutes w/ magic bullet or similar)

Now you have spent less than 2 hours (use the rest of the time for cleaning up and packaging) and you have a bunch of protein, a bunch of veggies, a couple sauces and you can make a billion things out of it in 10 minutes or less.  Omelettes, frittattas, hashes, curries etc.  And a week of eating this way might either spark you out of your funk or it will be something you repeat for a few weeks. Short, intense prep, lots of food ready to go...and none of it makes you mad minutes after eating it!   :)

Thank you so much!! I will for sure do some of that (not a pork eater or seafood eater which makes things boring haha).

• Administrators

Thank you so much!! I will for sure do some of that (not a pork eater or seafood eater which makes things boring haha).

Don't let that stop you!  Sub ground turkey for the ground pork and throw a cheap cut of roast beef in a slow cooker/pot in the oven low and slow instead of the seafood.  There is lots you can do in a really short period that will give you hoards of food for the week.  You can do this.  Don't let your sadness now steal your future joy.

Archived