Can I have soup that had barley in it?

Schnauzy

My mom made vegetable soup and I drank a bowl until I realized at the end there was barley in it. I am pretty sure I didn't swallow any (I spit it out once I had a feeling it wouldn't be compliant.. I rarely eat barley so I wasn't sure what it was). This is day 7 (or day 11.. I had to reset a couple of times cause of stupid mistakes). I am quite upset about this .. It would suck if I'd have to restart.. Please advise

Guest Andria

Barley is a gluten containing graining and would warrant a restart if ingested.  I think there is a good chance you ingested gluten by drinking the soup.

• Moderators

Ultimately, it's up to you what you do for your Whole30. I know that's frustrating to hear, but here's the thing -- we're all adults here, and ultimately we all have to take responsibility for our actions and make our own choices about our lives.

So you have some options.

You could say, screw it, it was an accident, 23 days from now I'm going to be DONE. Period.

You could say, I decided to do a Whole30 and if I don't restart right now, I won't have done one, and I want to complete it so I'm going to restart.

You could make a note of what day this occurred, and keep on keeping on, and 23 days from now evaluate and see how you'd feel about adding another 7 days to get a full 30 days -- which might be useful if the idea of restarting right now is just overwhelming to you.

Yeah now that I think about it I don't mind restarting again because I do feel well nourished and good about what I'm eating. The only thing is I have a friends birthday coming up and my whole30 would have ended right before had it not been for a restart. Now I'm kinda stressing about her birthday cause I really don't know where we will be eating and if there will be any whole 30 compliant options for me.

Yeah now that I think about it I don't mind restarting again because I do feel well nourished and good about what I'm eating. The only thing is I have a friends birthday coming up and my whole30 would have ended right before had it not been for a restart. Now I'm kinda stressing about her birthday cause I really don't know where we will be eating and if there will be any whole 30 compliant options for me.

Stressing now is gonna have a negative impact on any good you are doing by eating whole30. Focus on the here & now, and when you DO know where you'll be eating phone ahead and have a chat with the chef to see what he can do for you. There'd have to be a very few chefs that wouldn't be able to whip up something compliant for you when given enough notice. Most can manage something even when put on the spot. It will be fine with a bit of forward planning.

In the meantime if your mum is doing your cooking maybe give her a list of tha 'can haves & can nots'? Or if you're just going there to eat on occasion talk to her in advance - every time.

Archived