May 6th start

north_shore

so...the main reason I am writing this is to get everything that is in my head out so that I can focus on the work that needs to be done.  And it is ok if nobody replies...this is mainly for me!

I am doing the Whole30 for a few reasons.  Primarily I am overweight by about 30 kilo.  It hurts just to say that!!  I eat quite healthy and have for a long time but there are a few foods that cause a reaction in my body- I have discovered oatmeal, quinoa and amaranths are definitely on the list.

I have read the book, except for the reintroducing foods chapter, simply because I am not there yet.  One step at a time.

I haven't eaten fast food in over 10 years.  I don't regularly eat breads, sweets, pastas or cereals- but will have on occasion.  But in the past I have been a binge eater- stress and emotionally related....we all have our stories and mine are no worse or no better than any other person's but they are mine and have made me who I am today.

I have also tried loads of diets that like the book has said- caused adverse reactions.

The funny thing about being 30 kilo overweight- I am still quite active.  I run, bike, have a trainer once a week, go to the gym.....We are an active family- which is why being overweight is so frustrating for me.

I even went to a diet clinic.  Which was basically me paying crap loads of money to dieticians that put me on a starvation diet.   Vegetable soup with 4 tablespoons of rice, quinoa or amaranths does not make a person happy- and then to have the quinoa and amaranths cause bloating and gas.......

So now I am on day 2 of the Whole30.  I am setting myself up for success.  Which is primarily why I am writing here.  Accountability.

Yesterday I had a shock.  I am on a t.v. program in the country I live in.  It is a small bit- nothing special but yesterday was the first time I actually watched the program.  Needless to say- I was shocked at how I looked.  And embarrassed.  And now I will keep the image of how I looked in my head so that I will never be at that point again.

so, thanks for reading, no need to reply.....these words are for me.  

Hello!  My mom and I started around the 5th of May, so same time.  Today is day 4 and we are going strong!  your story reminds me a lot of my mom and I although we are definitely guilty of eating more bread and carbs and the occasional fast food.  Overall I feel our eating habits are healthy and I eat a ton of veggies and lean protein throughout the day.  I haven't finished the book, so I feel a bit underprepared there, but I didn't want to wait another day longer and watch my mom put white bread, butter, and starbucks into her system - so here we are!  I'm trying to get her on here so she can read stories that remind her that she is not alone.  i wanted to reach out to you and see how you were doing, and since we are essentially starting at the same time - we can hold each other accountable!  Feel free to pas along any favorite recipes you like.  I've been eating a lot of boiled eggs, and I love them so that's good :)  I've also found some compliant foods in my local grocery store which is nice to have on hand so I don't get too hungry and cheat.  Where are you from?  We I've in Cali.

Loved reading your post, and proud of you for starting and doing this for you.  I've heard nothing but positive things about this, so i feel we are all on the path to success!

Jenny

I am not trying to keep it a secret, but in my first post I wrote that I was on a t.v. program-  I am not famous or anything but I am not ready to put myself out there yet.  I live in a country that is not English speaking.....I am originally from Canada but have been living in Europe for 12 years.  :)  Maybe when I lose a chunk of weight I will shout from the roof tops.

Preparation is key, that's for sure. Get in the habit of peeling, cutting extra veggies. Google Melissa Joulwan's "steam & saute" method of partially cooking veggies before you need them. Keep meat thawing in the fridge so you've always got something available to use. Make extra every time you cook so you've got stuff ready when you don't feel like cooking, have leftovers for lunch, and food for breakfast when you're in a hurry.

• Administrators

Preparation is key, that's for sure.Make extra every time you cook so you've got stuff ready when you don't feel like cooking, have leftovers for lunch, and food for breakfast when you're in a hurry.

I did this last night, actually. :)

I was making pork burgers for dinner so instead of making one batch I made two.  Now I have 15 cooked pork burgers in the fridge that can be sliced and thrown on salad, chopped and stuffed in an omelette, wrapped in lettuce with mayo & tomato, scrambled into an egg & veggie hash or tossed into a "kitchen sink" stirfry.  We have a busy and jumbled weekend coming and I didn't want the chance of getting caught short.  Grilling 15 patties is just as easy as grilling 6!

I am pretty good with this anyway- I take my lunch to work every day so I usually have some of the left overs from the night before with veg.  I guess what I seem to be finding the hardest is at about 10 O'clock in the evening- I am genuinely hungry.  For the past two nights I have had a boiled egg.  My trainer has always told me that I need to have a protein about an hour before bed but I couldn't stomach it nor was I hungry.  Now I am hungry.

• Administrators

I am pretty good with this anyway- I take my lunch to work every day so I usually have some of the left overs from the night before with veg.  I guess what I seem to be finding the hardest is at about 10 O'clock in the evening- I am genuinely hungry.  For the past two nights I have had a boiled egg.  My trainer has always told me that I need to have a protein about an hour before bed but I couldn't stomach it nor was I hungry.  Now I am hungry.

Have you posted a couple days of food anywhere?  Around 10pm your body should be in wind down mode hormonally and really shouldn't be wanting food at that time unless you have a wacky, abnormal schedule.

Some things that can cause night time hunger: starting out with too small a breakfast (very hard to make up for throughout the day), starting out with fruit in the morning, eating fruits on their own during the day.  Along with eating too light overall.

If you want some further feedback please feel free to post a couple days of typical food including portions (as they relate to your palm size), meal timings, exercise, stress etc.  It's not terrible to be eating a hard boiled egg at night before bed but you might be able to tweak a bit so that you don't have to.

I work out in the evenings- perhaps this has something to do with it.  

Yesterday I had a two egg omelette with sweet potato hash (nom nom paleo recipe), for lunch I had left over Romesco sauce over zucchini noodles and ground turkey.  For supper I had a beef burger patty and a salad.  

I am quite certain it has to do with my schedule.  I am home from work at about 4:15 so I usually have supper at about 5- which is early, but I go to the gym for 7 so need to have fuel but I can't work out on a full stomach.  And I can't change my workout schedule.

Having a boiled egg in the evening isn't going to send me off the edge.  I am only 7 days in so the hunger may taper off, but because I work out in the evenings it is probably necessary.

• Administrators

Are you having a post workout meal?? If you are exerting yourself and depleting your muscle glycogen, you should be eating protein and starchy veggies after your workout.  Something like chicken breast and sweet potato is a popular choice. Egg whites are fine post workout but the yolk actually slows the absorption of the nutrients (this only applies post vigorous workout, the rest of the time we encourage the whole egg).

• 4 weeks later...

So- I have completed 30 days!  Quite happy with myself.  I am going to keep going, probably for another 30.  I have no desire to eat breads and other carbs.  I seem satisfied with fruits and veg.  I do miss wine, though- especially on a hot summer day when we go camping......

Archived