1st day Whole30...05/15/15...

misskarinb

Hi,

I'm new here and I'm starting my first Whole30 tomorrow (5/15).  I have a number of health issues (allergies, autoimmune, celiac, etc) and I'm hoping this will help.  I also just need to clean up my diet in general, and I'm hoping to make this a fresh start for a new way of eating/living.  I am a total sugar fiend, so I'm pretty sure i'm going to be losing my mind for the first few days.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks for reading!

Guest Andria

Hi and welcome from a fellow recovering sugar fiend,

The best way to starve that sugar dragon is to be sure to follow the meal template and don't be shy about eating an adequate amount of fat.  Be sure to have at least one serving of starchy veg per day.  You want your meals to be constructed so that you remain satiated until your next meal 4-5 hrs later.  Especially don't get caught up in snacking on nuts and fruit when a sugar craving hits.  Avoid snacking in general and drink plenty of water.  

Good Luck!

Oh, here's the link to the meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

• Hello I am starting today 5-15-15 for the first time.  Little scared so hoping I can find others like you on the same journey.  My issues are overweight by 30 pounds, migraines, lack of energy and a serious serious sugar fiend. 

My husband has agreed to take all the tempting sugar treats out of the house for 30 days.  I am hoping for his support throughout the next 30 days but I think this is going to be hard. 

Let's get started supporting each other. 

My first day was today also.  I am also a sugar fiend and am worried about the cravings that I know I will get.  Mine usually hit in the afternoon while I am at work.  Today went better than I expected, so I am ready for tomorrow.

B)

First day! Solid start. I have played around with Paleo for some time but not really taken a full life change process like Whole30. Definitely a sugar fiend and stress hound. Job is stress and have managed with food! Here's to changing that habit and getting in shape!

Ok day 2 under my belt.  Did good.  Made fried chicken, sweet potatoes and tropical salad for dinner.  Instead of rolling the chicken in flour, I took unsweetened coconut and ran it through the blender, then rolled the chicken in that.  Very tasty and smelled absolutely delicious while it was cooking.  Put cinnamon and nutmeg in the sweet potatoes and then mashed them.  Even have leftovers!

I made Day 2 also.  Had a great day started out with duck eggs, fresh cod, and lots of veges and olive oil.  I was full.  Had a nice lunch and a smaller dinner.  I have to brag - fresh wild caught shrimp with sweet potato and 1/2 avocado.  I went to our Saturday Market and purchased fresh shrimp, cod and rock fish.  I am going to be eating like a king.  Plus I purchased some organic buffalo ground.  Looking forward to using that.  I did feel a little foggy here and there through out the day with a touch of a headache but nothing major and in the morning I noticed I was a little shaky.  Guess that means I am cleaning out my system.  Well tomorrow is Day 3.  Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.  It helps knowing you are out there working on this too.  The chicken sounds great.  I have some coconut in the fridge and I may try that out.  I LOVE coconut but scared to activate my sugar issue.  mtdoades are you the only one doing in your house or are other joining you?  My husband and I are empty nesters and it is only me doing the Whole30 but my husband is being humored by the potential of less migraines. 

Good job on day 2.  I am not a fish eater, except for tuna or talapia.  I had the headache today and tonight I am feeling really tired. My husband is trying to participate, but on his job, he is out and about most days with no way to warm anything.  Makes it hard to do.  But he is eliminating all dairy since we do know that is a trigger for many digestive issues for him.  We should be empty nesters, but our oldest and his wife and 3 kids have moved in with us.  We also have our youngest (25) and a young man from Nigeria that also live with us.  Makes for a happy chaos :)  On to day 4!

Great day to finish the day 3.  You sounded like you did great and doing this with a houseful really impresses me.  I was tired and foggy all day except about 9PM I ended up with tons of energy.  Headaches have been on and off but nothing terrible.  Was really hungry at dinner so after dinner ate 1/2 apple, still hunger so then added an egg.  That helped and I am not starving anymore.  Looking forward being out of the lethargic, jittery fog pattern.  Guess that is coming.  I am glad we are still in touch.  It helps knowing someone out there is thinking of me and even though we do not know each other we are there for each other.  Thanks Good luck on Day 4

Husband wants to bring in some desserts for him.  I said fine but he would have to lock them up literally.  He said okay but was surprised.  He does not have the candy addiction like I do.    

Great job Archijen.  I've noticed that I don't feel as swollen either today.  But right now I am extremely tired.  Little longer at work, then to a baseball game that my grandson is playing in.  That should help wake me up.  Liz, I know what you mean about locking the snacks up.  Sunday afternoons are when my husband and I generally baked cookies or something.  Yesterday, had to keep fighting the urge to go bake.  Ugh!  Haven't really craved anything yet, but I know that day is coming.  If you don't mind my asking, where are you from?  Figured with the fish and all possibly North East?

Made another day even with a luncheon meeting - ate 2 small pieces chicken and tossed salad no dressing. Glad I brought a cooler with some foods. That might be the key with all my work events and after hours cocktails- had soda water with orange during our drink hour today. Woke up at 3am burning up- read that in book but it sounded weird....but true!

Hope the baseball game helped energy! It's so hot here during games it works to sap our energy.

I was think Liz might English given the food list.

I think I am going to keep you two guessing for a few more days for where I am from.  But I am not from the North East and definitely not from England. Try Again!   :P

Made through Day 4.  Still tired took a nap at work during lunch and that helped.  Had a good food today.  I really think these guys know what they are doing basically I had frustration on what I am eating and then believing it is worth it and started thinking about NEVER eating refined sugar again. That what the book said to expect.   My gosh what a pendulum.  I have also been foggy again today and find that it peaks at about 5 hours after I last ate.  I have not had the swelling the two of you talk of.    I just had my first failure.  I tried to make the easy mayo and it did not work out.  The book said if it fails use it in other stuff and try again so guess will do that.  I think my vitamix made it warm and then it de-emulsified.  I am also going to try to make my own ketsup, I will let you know how that goes.  Wow Archijen it sounds like you have a lot of food at work.  Keep options with you every day.  Just because work serves food does not mean you cannot make your own personal food choices like you did today.  Good job today.  Mtdoades - was your day successful?  With all the kids how are you arranging your schedule so you are eating every 4 to 5 hours.  Sometimes I find the eating timing to be logistically difficult.  Guess we will get better as we go.  Let's go for another good day tomorrow.  

MissKarinb

Hope you are still with us and poking around the forum if you need help you will find it or it will find you!

Don't give up Im on Day 15 first W30 ever

Sugar it's not my thing but the suggestions lead to less or no fruit (later in the day may be better) and extra fats No dried fruit or nuts

Stick to the Template and Timeline and Shopping list

It's only 30 days

I had a good day yesterday.  Ballgame helped with keeping me awake until actual bedtime.  Feeling much better today.  Still a little tired, but definitely not so groggy.  I've also felt that "what's the point" moment this morning when I didn't want to eat breakfast.  This will be my hard part, the planning.  I do really good the first few days, but then I get tired of it. That's where I am today.  Just plain tired of planning, but I know that is how I will be successful at this.  I think this weekend I will try some spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and I will be making some BBQ sauce and possible raspberry vinaigrette for the hubby.  Have a good day all!

Well I'm still with it.  Day 5 and I don't think the sugar cravings are as bad, but I'm definitely feeling very very moody.  Big fight with the bf last night because I'm super sensitive right now.  I really hope that goes away and soon!  Aside from that, I'm finding eggs are the worst thing for breakfast for me because I end up with that awful gnawing pain, but today I just had baked chicken with veggies and some strawberries and now I'm doing better.  Except for the moodiness.  That needs to go away!

Hope you all are doing well!

• Administrators

I think I am going to keep you two guessing for a few more days for where I am from.  But I am not from the North East and definitely not from England. Try Again!   

I'm going to say West Coast...maybe Seattle?

Day 5 - not as tired and feeling better.  I had a couple of food challenges which I thought I could handle but were harder than I thought.  Went to a training class today and the crackers looked sooooo good.  I brought all my own compliant food and did not eat the crackers or any of the supplied food except one bite of fresh pineapple.  I did think about the food a lot and realized I am not ready for dining out challenges yet.  still need to stay in a controlled environment  I am sure it will come but not now.  Tonight for dinner I made a DELICIOUS pork loin.  Followed the walnut crusted pork loin recipe in the Whole30 book.  Net time I make will cut down on the salt other than that it was superb.  Welcome back MissKarinB was hoping you were still out there.  I did not have major grumps but the book has said it will pass.  Hang in there.  Tomorrow I am getting oral surgery so should be an interesting day food wise.  I have some hard boiled eggs and soft veges along with some cod still available for me to do well.  Ladyshanny got the correct side of the continent.  I am Northwest of Seattle.  Any other tries on my location?  mtdoades?  

Nice job keeping with it!  I know how hard it can be.  Thursday is always snack day at my work, and people bring it a ton of chips, salsa, cookies, cakes, etc etc.  But I plan on avoiding the break room entirely.  I hope your oral surgery goes well Liz!  Hang in there!

Nice job Liz.  I woke up this morning wanting a donut.  Instead I had my pork and cabbage.  Right now I'm just really tired of planning.  It would be so much easier to grab a granola bar and go, but that isn't what is good for me just yet.  I have already determined 2 foods I want to add back after the 30, corn and oats.  I miss my corn on the cob and there is a local farmer that we get sweet corn from that is absolutely delicious.  I also miss my oatmeal for breakfast.  Other than that, not too bad on day 6.  Hang in there tomorrow misskarinb. 

Well it turned out I did not need the oral surgery.  They were able to correct a crown with out cutting into my gums.  Yeah!!!  Now just have to wait for the new crown to come in.  Doing fairly good today now that my meds have worn off from the dentist.  I had a success with the Mayo.  I made it with my mixer instead of food processor and that seemed to be good.  I still have dinner to go and was planning on some rock fish veges avacado. 

Nothing happening big tonight so should be good.  Hang in there tomorrow misskarinb I thought it would be easy yesterday but seeing all that food I have chose not to eat anymore was harder than I thought.  Day 6 is our 20% mark through the 30 days.  Now I call that a success.  

Archived