Crohns, IBD, and veggies

Hi I am on day 6 of my whole 30, and I started to help with my crohn's disease and IBD. I was diagnosed six years ago, and was in remission but the last two years due to stress has brought it back full force. Ever since I was diagnosed I have had a hard time with raw veggies. With the whole 30, I'm finding I'm having a hard time getting my veggies in. Even cooking them, after eating causes me pain and bloating. I lean more towards fruit because it's easier on my tummy. I'm looking for more creative ways of getting my veggies in while on my whole 30 journey. Any suggestions?

• Moderators

Maybe soups? Especially blended ones, where you cook the vegetables really well and then puree them. Plus, if you make your own broth, you get the benefits of that. Maybe try this Golden Cauliflower Soup or the Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup -- although there are a ton of others out there, just google Whole30 soup to find them, and you can always just make one up using whatever vegetables you have on hand.

• Moderators

Definitely do not eat raw veggies, nuts, or nut butters. Also, although I am a big fan of wilted greens, wilted greens can be hard to digest. Maybe focus on roasted root veggies or veggies cooked with meat in a slow cooker so they are very tender. And I agree about making veggie soups. I make Golden Cauliflower Soup frequently. 

• Moderators

When someone says "wilted" greens versus "cooked" greens, I tend to assume they meant they cooked them just enough to be wilted, probably by sauteeing them in a little fat -- as opposed to the traditional way of cooking greens around here which apparently means "boil them til they're slimy," based on the few I've tried :wacko: . (I thought I didn't like greens -- I don't like slimy. Turns out if you saute them instead of boiling them, they're actually pretty good. It is possible that that's not supposed to be the end result of boiling them, but that's how they seemed to me.)

I think if you boil them, a lot of the nutrients are lost in the water, so unless you drink the water, too, it sort of defeats the purpose. 

I like pan-frying spinach with oil and then throwing in some tomato sauce. Tastes pretty good. 

I can see why you wouldn't like slimy greens. 

Archived