Meal 2:

3 Tuna Cakes

Carrots

Watermelon

Small handful of Cashews

Spinach

Plum

Almonds

Ok, my issue is that I had a major sugar crash before lunch today. I felt very light headed, shaky and just plan off. I even went to my supervisor to let him know I was feeling off and he told me to get some OJ downstairs cafeteria as my sugar is probably low, especially on my new diet I'm doing. I didn't get OJ, but I did eat some unplanned almonds and had a plums. I feel much better after an hour after eating. I am still feeling a bit off though. Over the weekend my daughter nursed a lot more then she normally does. We are only part time nursing, but over the weekend I noticed her nursing much more then she typically does. Most likely teething. I also been working out more often and went for a 3 mile run yesterday morning. I suspect that I may not be eating enough for breakfast this morning which contribute to the crash, but I never had this feeling before. 

• Moderators

Pre workout skip the carbs/fruit and eat a hardboiled egg or other protein and fat combo.

Our recommendation is fruit no more than twice a day. You might try replacing some of your fruit with starchy veggies like sweet potato, beets, winter squash.

As a nursing mom, you need lots of carby veggies and probably 4 meals rather than just 3. With your daughter's increased nursing, you'll have to keep tweaking based on how you feel. Check out the Pregnant and Breastfeeding section of the forum for other helpful advice.

• Administrators

You are not eating enough.  Full stop.  Not enough for a person who exercises, not enough for a person who nurses and certainly not enough for a person who is doing both.

Eggs when they are your singular protein are as many as you can hold in your hand, for most people that's at least 3-4. Bacon is a fat on Whole30.  Where are your vegetables at breakfast. 1-3 cups per meal.  

Where is your post workout meal? PRE is recommended as protein and fat and POST is recommended as lean protein and starchy veggie.  You do not have to have PRE but you should have POST.

Eat more.  More and then more and then more. Lightheadedness and shaky are late signs of under eating.

Thank you so much for the replies. I do feel like I'm not eating enough today. I need to up my leafy greens for breakfast. I think I need to pack a salad to eat once I get here to work. I've been making 2 or 3 eggs in morning with some sort of veggies with fruit, but I think I need to cut down on the fruit and up the veggies. Morning are such a rush for me during work week. 

Post workout meal was my Meal 1. I ran early in the morning. 

I honestly need to get better at following the meal template. This is my first Whole 30 and I'm still learning and trying to incorporate it in my everyday life. I've already seen good eating habits forming from this challenge. 

Since you are in a rush in the morning, what about making up breakfast before you head to bed? Leftovers from dinner, make an egg bake, hard boiled eggs, meatballs.... and pack with roasted veggies that you can just grab and go or re-heat and eat before you head off for your day? 

• Moderators

Don't be hard on yourself, you're obviously juggling a lot right now! I find it invaluable to do a weekly "cookup" on Sunday. Roast several sweet potatoes, bake some chicken, pan fry some ground meat, make some mini-frittatas or hard boiled eggs, cut up and steam/roast any veggies (personally I rely heavily on frozen veggies, they are great and possibly even better for you than fresh because they are frozen so quickly after harvesting). Toss it all in separate containers and you can grab and go.

Since you are in a rush in the morning, what about making up breakfast before you head to bed? Leftovers from dinner, make an egg bake, hard boiled eggs, meatballs.... and pack with roasted veggies that you can just grab and go or re-heat and eat before you head off for your day? 

I love this idea! I'm already packing a lunch in the evening after dinner, so I think this is a great idea! Roasted veggies I can re-heat at work. I need to stop thinking of breakfast as... eggs/bacon etc... I may just start eating leftovers. I typically eat leftovers for dinner. Maybe I'll have chicken tomorrow. 

Don't be hard on yourself, you're obviously juggling a lot right now! I find it invaluable to do a weekly "cookup" on Sunday. Roast several sweet potatoes, bake some chicken, pan fry some ground meat, make some mini-frittatas or hard boiled eggs, cut up and steam/roast any veggies (personally I rely heavily on frozen veggies, they are great and possibly even better for you than fresh because they are frozen so quickly after harvesting). Toss it all in separate containers and you can grab and go.

What type of frozen veggies do you get? Most that are in my 'crappy' small grocery store near me have lima beans or corn. I am hoping to make the trip to Wegmans after work one day to get some fresh produce as my weekend was very busy and couldn't make it to market. 

I am feeling much better. I had a pretty big handful of emergency almonds I have here at my desk on top of my M2 (what is posted here) and I feel much better now. And I didn't have to drink any OJ!  :)

Tonight I'm going to sauteed Kale with balsamic vinegar to eat tomorrow morning with 3 eggs (not 2). 

• Moderators

What type of frozen veggies do you get? Most that are in my 'crappy' small grocery store near me have lima beans or corn. I am hoping to make the trip to Wegmans after work one day to get some fresh produce as my weekend was very busy and couldn't make it to market. 

I'm lucky to live near Whole Foods. They have some great, compliant, organic blends. A Stir Fry Blend with mushrooms, onion, carrots and broccoli maybe, a California blend with broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, and my fave, a Mediterranean blend of zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, onion.

Wegmans should be a good source!

The frozen veggies I typically grab are frozen broccoli and cauliflower and the California mix broccoli/cauliflower/carrots and green beans--typically single veggies. I also depend on the 1lb frozen bags of chopped spinach, kale and collard greens that my local store carries for putting into soups and egg bakes. Just defrost, squeeze the water out for the egg bakes and dump on in!  

Another thing I LOVE for breakfast is soup! I will have a couple hard boiled eggs with a bowl or extra veg or maybe some olives or avocado along with the soup but it is really a great way to have a change up for breakfast. 

I think I figured out what was causing it... 

Meal 3 the night before didn't include a lot of protein. I didn't eat very much on Meal 3 (I wasn't hungry as I binged on watermelon at our family picnic.  :( ) I am sure that is what contributed to it. 

Archived