What can we eat at a theme park?

Schnauzy

I may be going to a theme park Six Flags this weekend. I thought about bringing food like lara bars and bananas but the website states we’re not allowed to bring food unless we have “special dietary needs” such as “certain food allergies” and we’ll even have to talk to guest relations/security for them to approve the food. There’s risk for not being approved so now I’m thinking what can I eat at the theme park that’s w30 approved! Can we eat turkey legs? Any suggestions? 

• Moderators

Theme parks are poor hunting grounds for healthy food. What looks healthy in a theme park is likely to not be healthy. Similar to Subway sandwiches where the chicken is injected with a broad range of off-plan ingredients. 

In addition to bringing a cooler, I know many parks have an area by the entrance that is for picnic lunches, so you can sit at a covered table and eat instead of in your car. We'd used them before at Cedar Point when on youth group trips.

Likely the only compliant option would be a piece of whole fruit and, personally, I don't think the price point is worth it.

In reading the Six Flags website, I don't think it would be too hard to get approval for your own food. They note that they want to label/date the food containers to show that you have a special pass for your allergies. I think that contacting guest relations in advance is mainly so that they can ensure there is someone at the gate to do whatever it is that they need to do and to help discourage people from playing the food allergy excuse. From a liability standpoint, a company isn't going to want to muck around with food allergies.

Even if you don't want to go this route, it's still easy to get your hand stamped at the gate so that you can go back to your car, eat lunch from your cooler, and head back into the park.

• Moderators

I wholeheartedly agree with Munkers.

They're not going to require a doctor's note at the gate, and I don't think it's asking too much to be able to bring your own healthy food.

Quite frankly, you don't know that you don't have food allergies/sensitivities yet. You don't have to be untruthful, just explain that you and your family are doing an elimination diet to get to the bottom of some health issues.

There is no reason you should settle for eating their subpar food during your Whole30 solely so that they can profit above and beyond the price you paid for your admission tickets.

Archived