Kalua Pig- Made it, Love it

edgymama

OMG what an easy and yummy recipe! I just had a few nibbles last night as I had already had my dinner by time it was finished (I cooked it for 12 hours on low in crockpot, it was a just under 5lb pork roast). 

Now to gobble it all up starting with meal 3 tonight! Cannot wait!

Oh and I used trader joes pink himalayan salt as it was what I had and put prosciutto on bottom of crock since I cannot find compliant bacon :) 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

This is a staple at our house. I make the pressure cooker version (done in 90 minutes), which calls for cooking cabbage wedges in the liquid. Such a flavorful combination.

I have found bacon at Costco that is labeled "reduced sodium" and has no sugar. It's not from pastured hogs, but it fits my budget.

How do you ladies make the cabbage? I did buy a bag (could not find a head of it, what the heck? haha)...is this something I can make up now (I did save the bone and drippings in a separate container....)

This has been the one constant I always have prepared since I did my first whole30 in February.  I am actually eating a heaping pile of it right now.  It is my favorite thing.

I do suggest seeking out the alaea salt--it really does make a difference.  (As if it needs to be better...)

Since cabbage is pretty quick to cook once it's been shredded, I usually cook "to order" and don't toss bother with adding additional drippings--just saute in some coconut or avocado oil. If I've just finished a batch of kalua pig, then I might spoon out some of the dripping to add to cabbage, but usually I just use them to season the meat and then toss the rest. That's mainly just out of laziness though and because my fridge can only hold so many tupperware containers. I don't see any reason that you wouldn't be able to save the drippings and continue to add them to your cabbage or other veggies over the course of a few days. Just give them a sniff first to make sure they haven't gone off. (If you're going in and out of the same container multiple times, then it may spoil faster.)

I think what I would do would be to re-heat it in some canned tomatoes, either stewed or diced, along with some cabbage and perhaps some bell pepper slices. You could add some bone broth too if you needed extra broth. You could eat it as is, or have over mashed potatoes, mashed or riced cauliflower. You could even use it in a curry with coconut milk and add the pork and cook only long enough to heat thru. 

Ditto SpinSpin's suggestions. You could also try mixing it with compliant salsa (lettuce wrap tacos, maybe?) or make a mayo-based dressing to top it with. Sometimes I just douse my meat in some olive oil before eating--did that the last time I killed leftovers in the microwave at work.

I think what I would do would be to re-heat it in some canned tomatoes, either stewed or diced, along with some cabbage and perhaps some bell pepper slices. You could add some bone broth too if you needed extra broth. You could eat it as is, or have over mashed potatoes, mashed or riced cauliflower. You could even use it in a curry with coconut milk and add the pork and cook only long enough to heat thru. 

Excellent ideas, SpinSpin.  A curry, in particular may work brilliantly and I've been wanting to make one lately. Thanks!  

I've got one ready Kalua pig

I've added fennel seed rosemary and red pepper flakes and I've placed it skin side down with the bacon on top stuffed with sliced garlic.

I just made first batch Yes I did have the window open and the fan on the stove! Lol just in case

Can't wait to eat it

• 3 weeks later...

I want to share an alternative way to make Kalua pig type and bone broth at the same time The pork is super moist tender and falls apart; and the broth delicious nutritious too:

In a large pot with the strainer insert. Heat medium heat (remove strainer) prepare celery carrots onion garlic set aside Lightly salt your pork set aside Bones: beef shank, pork country ribs, chicken bones and giblets add all the bones to hot compliant oil let sear until brown

Remove to a large bowl Place your pork (I used boneless cushion meat from my butcher) allow to golden brown Add onion garlic carrots celery bay leaves thyme Rosemary turmeric salt and pepper poultry seasoning Allow to cook 10 mins Remove place into strainer Put the attachment strainer back into the pot add meat bones giblets veg etc

Cover with water Bring to boil Reduce to simmer Allow to simmer covered low for 3 hours

Remove pork set aside refrigerate Carefully Remove strainer allow to drain In a large 4qt container pour through a strainer all your lovely bone broth refrigerate and enjoy your meals!

Also note this can be made in the slo cooker without the browning process omit the bacon

The reason I've tried it this way (as above) is when I made the original recipe it came dry and never fell apart after 12 hours Idk if it was the cut of "butt" or if I should have let it go 20 hrs on low I much prefer my way of cooking this

Archived