success? yes, but...

singerobin

Last week I finished my first Whole30.  I lost about 12 pounds (another 50 or so to go), and feel very much more in control of my eating.  

I'm sort of meh about food in general, which is a sea change from before when it was an all-consuming (Hah! see what I did there?) endeavor for me.  And I'm very grateful that I know now that I don't *have* to eat {fill in the blank} since I just didn't for 30 days.

I don't have any cravings, but then I never did.  I always want chocolate, chocolate ice cream to be specific, and I'll feed that dragon with an occasional kid-sized portion from the amazing local farm store's homemade private label.  That was an every-other-day thing for me last summer, and will now be a sometimes-thing, and I feel confident about that.  But my head is still in the same always-wanting place.  Maybe 30 days isn't long enough to crush that?

However, I did not experience any of those other "successes" - my energy level is still pretty blech, my skin is just as awful as it was, my sleeping is any more restful, my aches and pains are unchanged.  I just turned 54, so I'm not old, in fact I'm always greeted with shock & awe as people believe I am 15 years younger.  

I have started re-entry, and added back one food group item for one meal (dairy first - and then skipped 2 days to 'evaluate') before adding another (whole wheat pasta next).  I have noticed nothing.  

I have noticed no changes in my gut, which was arguably fine beforehand, and which didn't really seem to get better while I was on W30 and hasn't suffered any setbacks since re-entry.  Nor any of the other changes that people crow about here.

So ~ thoughts, ideas, suggestions, commiserations?

Thanks.

Congratulations on losing 12 lbs and feeling more in control of your eating - I hope you see those as successes!

In terms of not noticing any other non-scale victories, it would help to see what 2-3 days of eating, exercise, water consumption and sleep on the Whole30 looked like for you, and also have an understanding of how different your Whole30 eating, etc. was to how you ate prior.

Regarding your energy, have you had any medical tests for things like your thyroid, adrenals and hormones?

Thanks, Chris - I guess medical testing is next on my docket.  I do have to have my cholesterol checked in a few weeks (med-check) so I'll ask my doctor if she'll add in other stuff.

Pre-W30 I was eating a foundation of junky/pre-prepared/additive-laden frankenfood, interspersed with guilt induced home-cooked not-so-healthy stuff.  I know I'm definitely eating better now.

A typical W30 day for me is

Bfast: paleomg's spaghetti squash/sweet potato/onion/egg casserole with coffee/coconut milk

Lunch: Giant bowl of roasted or raw veggies, some sort of home-cooked lean protein, 1/2 avocado

Dinner: More (varied) veggies + protein, 6-7 oz almond milk (unsweetened, no carrageenan)

Snack if needed: small handful cashews or almonds and/or piece of fresh fruit

I don't do so well on the water drinking :(  Or exercise, but that changed starting yesterday.

Sleep I do get a consistent 10pm-6am with occasional cat visits.

• Administrators

You might consider doing away with the nut milk and nut snacks.  Nuts can be disruptive to gut and skin as well as sleep.

The fact that you have lost 12 pounds indicates you are experiencing some change within your body, that is GOOD. It can take longer for other things to clear up, especially if you came from a background of frankenfoods.  When I eat dairy it takes a solid 14 days for the eczema to clear up.....not to say that this is you, just that some things take a really long time to get better.

Energy and sleep can often be rectified by increasing starchy veggie intake. I don't see any in your outline, start including at least one fist sized serving per day. Folks report that having this serving at their last meal helps with sleep, give it a whirl.  

Dr. Google says: Corn, peas, parsnips, potatoes, pumpkinsquashzucchini and yamsare all examples of starchy vegetables.

I have sweet potatoes & squash every morning, and zucchini most days of the week.  Thought I had that covered???

• Administrators

Oh, sorry, missed the sweet potato.  "Squash" as a starchy usually refers to the winter ones like butternut or acorn...less so the summer ones like zukes and spag squash. 

Dr. Google says: Corn, peas, parsnips, potatoes, pumpkinsquashzucchini and yamsare all examples of starchy vegetables.

I have sweet potatoes & squash every morning, and zucchini most days of the week.  Thought I had that covered???

To clarify for future readers of this thread, corn is a grain so it's out for a Whole30.  Peas are a legume and they are also out for a Whole30.

Other starchy vegetables are carrots, beets, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips.

Guest Andria

Just wanted to point out when doing your reintroductions, you want to include something from the trial food group at every meal, and not just one.  You mentioned that you had some dairy only at M1 the other day and then went back to W30 eating before moving onto your next food group.  For example: M1 milk in coffee; M2: yogurt; M3: cheese.  You may still be fine with dairy, but sampling it at only one meal may not be enough to tell.

http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

Archived