So a little about me first so you can understand. I'm addicted to sugar and carbs/floured goods. I've been trying to cut them out for about 5 weeks I was able to cut out added sugar but still good on carbs well started to binge on carbs instead of sugar, so I wanted to start a whole 30 to help completely take that all away I know I can't have any of them but as soon as I took everything out I really craved sugar. I'm thinking it's probably because when you take away all the sugar my dragon is in full force trying to find something. So my question is where I have this issue is it just the withdrawals from the sugars or do I really need something more. I'm trying really hard to get my binging and eating under control i thought doing a whole 30 would help. I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal

First off, sugar is addictive.  That's why it's hidden in so many packaged foods: the manufacturers want you to come back for more.

If you want help moving beyond your sugar addiction, committing 100% to 30 days on the Whole30 is a great place to start. From there, you can decide next steps.

On the binging, do you have a history of eating disorders, or are you using the term do mean you recently started overeating carbs in lieu of sugar?  If the former, please read this article before starting your Whole30. http://whole30.com/2014/06/dear-melissa-eating-disorders/ In addition, some folks have found the book Brain Over Binge to be helpful.

What we don't know if what (if anything) you used to replace carbs when you took them out. This is key. Your body needs nourishment. In the past it has gotten this (well, calories at least) from these sugary foods. On the whole30, we ask you to use meat, vegetables, some fruit and good fats to give your body nourishment. Providing this three times per day in sufficient quantity should be enough so that you don't need to binge. The meal template helps you understand how much you should be eating. Take a look:

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

No I've had eating issues for a few yrs. a lot is emotional and I am going to a couslor for it but I've done a lot of thinking a praying and have just found that this seems to be one of the best solutions for the fact that the recipies and foods don't have sugar and when I did do the whole30 I felt so great but I was pregnant anyway that's another story. I'm aware of. A lot of my triggers as fast as food goes and places, people, emotions I've been working a lot on it I just trying to tell my brain NO and get it to listen. I know I do best with healthy fats and meal prep is a big one for me I have to have meals done and ready or it can be a trigger when I'm hungry. That's the end unless I snack on carrots while I try to hurry and cook something. Thanks for the book suggestion I will look in to it.

Archived