Can I give myself the benefit of the doubt?

so i had a really rough evening emotionally, and on top of being physically exhausted (thanks, first period in two months) and my kitchen being a hot mess that i had no energy to clean, i really didn't feel like cooking dinner.

so i went to chipotle, knowing i could get a compliant meal there. got lettuce, carnitas, all salsas but corn, and guacamole. however, because my anxiety was so high (i seriously would've had a panic attack if i had to be a bother in any way, yay social anxiety), i neglected to ask the person preparing my salad if the citrus juice they used in the guacamole and pico de gallo didn't contain any sweetener.

so now i am paranoid that it did contain some kind of sweetener and i may have f&*@#d myself over because i was too anxious to ask. i just finished day 13 and the thought of having to start over makes me want to be physically ill. am i allowed to give myself the benefit of the doubt here and assume they used citrus juice with no additives?

gotta say, the whole30 has been great for my body but it's been nightmarish for my copious amount of anxiety issues, man...

Given that you're already anxious about the whole thing I'd wonder if you *could* just put it behind you & move on anyway.

My advice would be to phone the restaurant and ask how the guac & pico de gallo were prepared and take it from there.

If they did contain sugar or sweetener rather than start over you could always add the days on at the end. The days you've done so far will only be a bonus.

Once you've spoken with the restaurant and know the outcome of the conversation you can read this article & then decide. Let us know how you go.....

• Moderators

I eat a can of tuna and a can of sliced beets from the can if I can't deal with cooking. My sister thinks it is horrible that I eat food straight from the can. I told her it was a man thing, but really it is a statement about priorities. I want to consume food, but I don't want to make an effort. Get yourself some tuna and beets. :)

I think you're ok. I had Chipotle a few times during my Whole50 and know of others having it as well. Here is Chipotle's ingredient list: https://chipotle.com/ingredient-statement. Of course, they don't list the exact ingredients of the citrus juice but my guess is that it's probably lemon or lime juice straight from the fruit.

Trust me, I know that eating out can be hard at times and it's difficult to know each and every ingredient that a resturaunt uses. The important thing is to do your best and as long as you ask all of the right questions and work to stay as Whole30 compliant as you possibly can while eating out, you'll do just fine.

Good luck with the rest of your Whole30!

Archived