Day 3. I feel I need SMALLER portions, but frequent meals

barbala

Hello there, thanks for welcoming and I already got great inisghts from book and the forum. 

I have been on a adapted Paleo since January2015, lost appr. 10 kg, but for this sucess it would not be fair to gratulate only my exceptional behaviors on food intake habbits, the weiight loss was build just because I was under break-up process and the stress and emotional downturn kind of cut my appetite significantly. I really ate small, but valuable portions (fat, fat, speck, proteins) and weight just flew away. Ok, I do a lots of sports, techically: one hour per day. Every day. Every.day.

Anywhow, things got better, learned lot about myself and  I keep moving on .  Now I just spent almost two weeks at very "carb-dense-country" and came back totally sick, bloated, floated, water-filled, etc, craving for sugars and flours (me?! cakes? nooooo!) with 3 kg extra.  

So, I step on Whole 30.

All is really nice, I see this as restart and journey for myself, but I have 3 rhetorical :) questions:

1.  I am used to eat 4 small meals per day. 

I try to keep total volume of my portion below >300 grams, comfort is arround 220g (that's" volume", and usual content is, for instance: 2 eggs + 70-80 grams of smoked ham +2 kind of veggies (cucumber, tomatoe or leaves: my standard breakfast) and then  I follow this idea of palm/etc sized meal.  

If I increase amount in order to meet the idea about 3 meals, then portion size is far too big and I feel sick, overeaten, etc.

So, is it ok to be flexible here?  How far can I go? (I count calories (sorry, do not punch me in a face) and dailty average is appr. 1100-1300,  40% proteins, 35% fat, 25% carbs from veggies/fruits. )

2. Salt. I think I oversalted (and luckilly, now over-sugareted) myself in UK.  What would be the best to "rinse off the drains"? I feel "hydropsy" (right word, m?) , but for those sports thing, I need to have potassium levels.  Are there any smart do's?

3. Usefulness/uselessness of veggies.

When I stared Paleo, I found out that main thing for comfort and good feeling is, a high nutritional value. That's why I sometimes eat real speck (yes,a 15-20 gr slice of  real porks real fat trim with some black pepper) , accompany it with a cucumber of some other "tasy vegetable" and I am good to go.   But, when I am checking proportion of palm and suggested amount of veggies- I feel that in order to meet that, I will "strech my stomache" and its a bumpy road back to "never feel filled", "cravings", "eating without mindfulness, etc."  Because I fell and look best, if I am a bit hungry, if I feel light.  But too much veggies steal this feeling.  Am I the only one with this matter? :)

Thank you so much!

Guest Andria

One of the main goals of the Whole30 is to reset our hormones.  Eating small portions ever few hours will not accomplish this.  You may need to take some time transitioning from your several small meals to the recommended 3 meals per day.  Have you read It Starts with Food?  It will provide the scientific reasoning behind this recommendation.

Some concerning points in your post:

1. Calorie counting - this is a big Whole30 no no. The meal template is a guideline that is scalable (i.e., 1-2 palm; 1-2 thumbs, etc)

2. Focusing on way too low daily calorie count - 1100-1300 is too low for any human, especially if you are participating in daily sports.  

3. Quote:  'But, when I am checking proportion of palm and suggested amount of veggies- I feel that in order to meet that, I will "strech my stomache" and its a bumpy road back to "never feel filled", "cravings", "eating without mindfulness, etc."  Because I fell and look best, if I am a bit hungry, if I feel light.'  Eating to the meal template will not stretch your stomach in any way beyond normal, nor cause cravings.  Is the need to feel hungry and light a matter of comfort or is there some disordered behavior behind this?  

If you really want to give the Whole30 a chance and want to experience all the benefits, follow the meal template as written for 3 meals per day starting within 1 hr of waking.  If you can not eat a full meal initially just eat evenly around your plate - so you get the benefit of the protein, veggies and fat - until full then come back to it later when you are able.

There's Paleo in all kinds of percentages based on loosey goosey math and then,  there's the real thing.   Whole 30 for only 30 days. 

It's not flexible but it's your best shot at determining which foods will work for you waaaay into the future. 

• 1 month later...

I was in a similar place, and was able to feel comfortable with three meals a day with no snacks by day 3. The prior two days, I accepted that I was hungry between meals because I didn't eat enough, or didn't eat the right proportion to fuel correctly. I did keep some compliant turkey breast with avocado on hand for this situation, which helped without causing sugar issues. Your body will change pretty quickly, if mine is any indication, and this is a learning experience.

• 5 months later...

I have a question about portion sizes.  It seems that most of the people here are very active, younger folks.  I'm 66, retired, and am embarrassed to admit, rather sedentary at this point in time.  I plan to start back with my outdoor walking next week, weather permitting, so that will help, but I'm concerned that the portion sizes suggested here are designed for younger people with a more active lifestyle than mine.  I just finished my breakfast of a plate of sauteed veggies, a slice of prosciutto, and three eggs, and I'm stuffed.  I started feeling full about 2/3 of the way through, but went ahead and finished, as I was afraid I'd be hungry before lunchtime if I didn't.  I realize that weight loss isn't the objective of Whole30, but I do need to lose 20 pounds, and that's certainly one of my goals.  I'd hate to follow the plan for 30 days and end up gaining because I'm overeating the right foods.

So back to my original question:  Should I adjust the portion sizes because of my age?

• Administrators

The portions are a range and should be based on your own Palm/thumb size. That said, Georgia, based on your lack of hunger for breakfast in another post, your body isn't sending the right signals to you. The low end of the template range (1 Palm protein, 1 cup veggies, 1 thumb of fat) is the absolute bare minimum that a human needs for proper function, you should not reduce past that.

Having said all that, if you have a background of hormonal upset combined with restriction dieting, it is completely possible that your body will prioritize more internal functions over weight loss.

I have a question about portion sizes.  It seems that most of the people here are very active, younger folks.  I'm 66, retired, and am embarrassed to admit, rather sedentary at this point in time.  I plan to start back with my outdoor walking next week, weather permitting, so that will help, but I'm concerned that the portion sizes suggested here are designed for younger people with a more active lifestyle than mine.  I just finished my breakfast of a plate of sauteed veggies, a slice of prosciutto, and three eggs, and I'm stuffed.  I started feeling full about 2/3 of the way through, but went ahead and finished, as I was afraid I'd be hungry before lunchtime if I didn't.  I realize that weight loss isn't the objective of Whole30, but I do need to lose 20 pounds, and that's certainly one of my goals.  I'd hate to follow the plan for 30 days and end up gaining because I'm overeating the right foods.

So back to my original question:  Should I adjust the portion sizes because of my age?

No you don't need to change the portion sizes. I'm 74 and the meal template works great for me. I lost weight on each of the Whole30s I have done before (2) and I feel like I am now too. Your body will become adapted. Since you aren't eating high calorie grains, dairy and sugar and protein takes the body more calories to burn, it kind of washes out. You will get used to the quantities in a few days. You need to eat to the meal plan to get your hormones back in balance.Younger, more active people eat to the higher end of the meal template and pre and post workout meals as well.

Archived