Whole30 on a liquid/soft food diet?? Help!

Hi everyone, I'm currently on day 17 of my first Whole30, with a goal of doing a full 90 days. Today I was diagnosed with TMD (sometimes called TMJ) which is basically a joint/muscle issue in my jaw. Well, one of the recommendations is to switch to a liquid/soft foods diet during a flare-up, until symptoms subside.

I already eat Paleo because of grain-intolerance issues, and I want to stay on the Whole30 as much as possible. I was thinking about possibly doing some kind of Whole30-approved protein powder to make shakes or smoothies or something. I'm also eating those fruit/veggie pouches (the ones without any added sugar or chemicals), and vegetable juice (like a V8 or similar).

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar, or has any ideas about how I can stay true to the Whole30 and still get the nutrition I need each day, when I have such a limited choice of foods.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Moderators

Soup is probably your best choice while you are having a problem. You can cook a hearty meal and then turn it into soup with a stick blender. You could puree a lot of things in a food processor

You can make your food choices from a Whole30-compliant menu, but you can't do a Whole30 on a diet of smoothies. Liquid food digests faster than whole foods and messes up satiety signals. It is one thing to eat soup every once in a while and another thing to actually live on soup. 

I hear there is an awful tasting egg white protein powder that is Whole30-compliant, but most powders you can find are not going to be compliant. 

SOFT is not necessarily the same as LIQUID.  For example, almonds are seriously Not Soft.  A baked sweet potato, though, is pretty soft.  Pureed sweet potato soup is liquid.  Something like sloppy joes is soft.  It may not fill you up as long as a steak, but it's probably about as good as eggs.  Beef or lamb stew would be similar.  Cook until very soft.  Chew some.  Gently.  Slowly.  Repeat.

ThyPeace, thinks that similar choices are available in most food groups.  Apples are pretty hard.  Watermelon is less so.  Really ripe banana is very soft.  Applesauce is liquid, but less liquid than a smoothy.  Etc.

Archived