Annoyed - Gotta Vent

I am 26 weeks pregnant.  I did Whole 30 in January and was feeling great.  That's also when I got pregnant.  Since then though, a lot of junk has crept back into my diet as a way of coping with food aversions and cravings.  Then, about a month ago I started having issues with ankle swelling.  I cut back on carbs, but it didn't make any difference.  I decided to do a Whole 7 to see if it would make any difference. 

Well, I am on day 2 and my ankles/feet look almost normal.  It's crazy.  So, I don't know if the swelling was caused by dairy, sugar, grains or something else, but I am happy it is gone.  Of course, I picked a bad week to do this because there has been sugar/treats EVERYWHERE at work this week.  There was even an ice cream social today.

I told my coworkers I wasn't going to the social because I am not eating sugar or dairy right now and I don't have the willpower to avoid it if it is placed right in front of me.  Instead, I kept working and had some cherries.

Well, one of my (very overweight, btw) coworkers walked by my desk on his way back from the social, points at the cherries and exclaims "sugar!"  Maybe it is hormones, but it really pisses me off.  Who doesn't see that fruit is different from ice cream?  Is he really that clueless?  I hate how little the average person knows about nutrition.  I have had at least 15 people tell me to cut back on salt and the swelling will go away.  Ummm, no, it won't.  I have used just as much salt the past 2 days as I have for months, yet the swelling is gone.  

People are dumb and I am sick of it. 

Well, one of my (very overweight, btw) coworkers walked by my desk on his way back from the social, points at the cherries and exclaims "sugar!"  Maybe it is hormones, but it really pisses me off.  Who doesn't see that fruit is different from ice cream?  Is he really that clueless?  I hate how little the average person knows about nutrition.  I have had at least 15 people tell me to cut back on salt and the swelling will go away.  Ummm, no, it won't.  I have used just as much salt the past 2 days as I have for months, yet the swelling is gone.  

People are dumb and I am sick of it. 

I'm only 10 weeks...and I would have gone off on that guy. Fruit is more than just sugar. Those cherries have fiber, vitamin C, and a bunch of other goodness in them. But the way some people think...I just can't figure it out. The best I can guess is he felt a little uncomfortable about his having eaten the cake/ice cream and wanted to make himself feel better (and less like he was being judged because he wasn't comfortable with having given in maybe?) about having eaten the cake. If you didn't actually give up ALL sugar then it's okay that HE didn't give up any sugar.

Doing anything related to self improvement--especially when it comes to diet and nutrition when someone clearly has a problem with those areas themselves--makes people feel horribly insecure.  I have people give me tons of excuses about why they're eating like crap, not exercising, etc. randomly in conversation for no good reason.  People know how I feel about diet and fitness so they think that they need to answer to me, somehow.  It's really odd.

I am still annoyed by that guy, but whatever, I have known for years now that people become very defensive when you do something to improve yourself that they are not willing to do.  Mostly though, I am just happy that my feet and ankles are back to normal.  I hadn't intended to stay strict Whole 30 for the next 3 months, but I might need to.  I've lost a few pounds (all fluid) since starting up again on Monday and, honestly, I don't even look pregnant right now.  Or, I should say, I look just how I did at this time last year when I weighed about 5 pounds more than I do now and was not pregnant.  I haven't bought any maternity clothes or anything.  I'm sure some women would be disappointed by the lack of a bump, but I am happy that no strangers are trying to touch my stomach.  :)

I definitely miss decaf coffee with cream though!  Dairy is probably the hardest thing for me to give up, and unfortunately, I suspect it's what causes my swelling for some reason.  I guess I will find out next week when I add it back.  I think dairy is the first thing we'll add in and, if there are no issues, possibly the only thing we'll add back in.  

• 1 month later...

I started out my pregnancy overweight, and have actually lost weight, and I have a HUGE bump. AND he pummels me all the time so I know my little guy is super active and healthy. I am on my 3rd round while pregnant (counting round 2 when I got pregnant) and I feel great! Be proud of yourself. You're doing a great thing for your baby and as long as you're eating when you're hungry, its all good food on W30!Even my doc said he wishes all his OB patients ate like this. Keep it up mama!

• Moderators

You're making wonderful choices for yourself and your baby to be. Trust that, and learn to let go of other people's comments. When you choose a life that goes against the grain (pun intended), annoying know-it-alls will pop up from time to time. But they don't get a say in how you live your life. 

What is it about coworkers and their inability to be appropriate when they find out you're pregnant? I'm seriously going to go off on my one coworker...

- I've got Celiac's and with my energy level having been low I'd been using potato chips (technically compliant) as a carb for lunch. He walks into the lunch room, sees my chips and grabs the bag. "YOU CAN'T EAT THESE!!!! THEY'LL GIVE YOU HEARTBURN!" Um, they haven't given me heartburn for the last 10 weeks, and you know nothing about my medical history so just stop.

- He sees my can of carbonated juice (juice concentrate expanded with bubbly water) and IMMEDIATELY assumed it was a Red Bull and snatched it off the table (good thing it wasn't opened yet, it would've gone everywhere). "YOU CAN'T BE DRINKING THIS SH*T!" I'm still not sure how I stayed calm and told him to look at what he was holding, at which point he put it back down again.

- He constantly asks me if I've taken my vitamins. I've stopped answering.

- He has declared that he knows the gender (still too early to tell). I'm now really hoping to prove him wrong. He goes so far as to say "how's our baby today?" Um, not your baby.

- He ruined my ability to announce my pregnancy to my office the way that my husband and I had planned. We'd planned to tell the people we were close to and then let the rest be surprised the first time I walk into the office in maternity wear. Instead, at a meeting with all the department heads he starts talking about how everyone has to go to this one PT event, then points at me and says "except for you, [MrsStick]. You go to the prenatal...the post...the pregnancy thing then." Um, yeah, I know. You didn't have to announce it to everyone. You could've just said "[MrsStick] we can discuss this in my office after the meeting" or just assume that I'm not an idiot and know that I don't go to that PT event because I know I'm supposed to go to my own.

Yep. Explosion's imminent. The one time I tried to talk to him about it he immediately said "oh, look, your pregnancy hormones are kicking in already!" GAHASDFLKASFDHOIERWQJLK

• Moderators

MrsStick,

This person sounds borderline mentally disturbed. I'm sorry you have to deal with him! You should report this to HR. Immediately.

Unfortunately, unless you made the potato chips yourself, and unless they are not deep-fried, they are not compliant if you are doing a Whole30. You may not be doing one right now, we just want to be clear here in the forum for any newbies: Commercially produced or deep-fried chips of any kind are prohibited. Save them for after your Whole30.

Best wishes during your pregnancy!

I guess I should have specified (and thanks for pointing it out here so I didn't confuse anyone on a Whole 30!) that I am not currently on a Whole 30, though I try to eat similar to one as much as I can. Pregnancy has definitely thrown me for a loop right now, so I'm just doing the best I can and working to reintroduce veggies back into my diet as my aversions have finally subsided. I'm definitely happier and so is hubby with more veggies (this coming from my carb-cramming, candy-eating, gluten-filled husband...it surprised me!).

Archived