Whole30 Toronto - Dining out.

Bronwyn

Hi all,

Any fellow Torontonians in this forum who are (or have) taking on the Whole30 journey? I'd love some suggestions for dining out in Toronto (compliant restaurants, awesome meal hacks you've discovered, etc.)

So far I've heard about Chipotle, and Bareburgers.

Thank you! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bronwyn!

Chipotle is definitely an awesome option :)

The burgers at Five Guys have no fillers and you can get it protein-style on lettuce. Most of their veggies are fine, just be wary of the grilled mushrooms, I think they have some sugar.

A really handy one to know is Swiss Chalet since they are everywhere! I believe all of their rotisserie chicken is compliant and their veggies are just steamed, so you can eat them (or get a salad no-dressing). They have a handy allergen guide that is really easy to use, it doesn't include sugar though so just watch out for salad dressings etc. https://www.swisschalet.com/nutrition-allergies

Mongolian Grill restaurants are great (where you pile your ingredients into a bowl and they cook it for you on a big grill). Make sure to ask them to cook yours only in olive oil, and to clean a section of the grill off to cook your food, and they will keep it clean for you if you decide to do more than one bowl, too! (I just say I can't have soy sauce etc. on mine and they happily comply!) The only thing to be really wary of is the spice mixtures, some might have soy/wheat/sugar, and I think the only way to know is to ask. I tend to just go with really basic spices + salt and pepper, instead of using any of the pre-mixed spices.

One of my favourite things to do is get a rotisserie chicken from a grocery store and some veggies and just have that. The chickens aren't always seasoned with compliant ingredients, though. Off the top of my head I know that Walmart has tandoori chicken that is compliant! Yum.

You could probably get something at The Works too! And if you're annoying enough I'm sure all of these restaurants have something to offer: http://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc=Paleo&find_loc=Toronto%2C+ON

Hey Bronwyn!

Chipotle is definitely an awesome option :)

The burgers at Five Guys have no fillers and you can get it protein-style on lettuce. Most of their veggies are fine, just be wary of the grilled mushrooms, I think they have some sugar.

A really handy one to know is Swiss Chalet since they are everywhere! I believe all of their rotisserie chicken is compliant and their veggies are just steamed, so you can eat them (or get a salad no-dressing). They have a handy allergen guide that is really easy to use, it doesn't include sugar though so just watch out for salad dressings etc. https://www.swisschalet.com/nutrition-allergies

Mongolian Grill restaurants are great (where you pile your ingredients into a bowl and they cook it for you on a big grill). Make sure to ask them to cook yours only in olive oil, and to clean a section of the grill off to cook your food, and they will keep it clean for you if you decide to do more than one bowl, too! (I just say I can't have soy sauce etc. on mine and they happily comply!) The only thing to be really wary of is the spice mixtures, some might have soy/wheat/sugar, and I think the only way to know is to ask. I tend to just go with really basic spices + salt and pepper, instead of using any of the pre-mixed spices.

One of my favourite things to do is get a rotisserie chicken from a grocery store and some veggies and just have that. The chickens aren't always seasoned with compliant ingredients, though. Off the top of my head I know that Walmart has tandoori chicken that is compliant! Yum.

You could probably get something at The Works too! And if you're annoying enough I'm sure all of these restaurants have something to offer: http://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc=Paleo&find_loc=Toronto%2C+ON

Do you know what brand the tandoori chicken at walmart is? I'm always excited when I can get pre-made food that's compliant lol.

As for Swiss Chalet. That's usually my go to IF I have to eat out. I get the "Health Check" quarter chicken white (so they remove the skin for you) with steamed veggies or plain salad. I do find that if I eat too much of their salad I get tired of it very quickly. I'm not sure if it's a mental thing or if it's just got that bagged lettuce taste, but too many of their salads leave me never wanting to eat there again lol. But the chicken and steamed veggies are great as they don't butter their veggies. So you don't have to make any sort of special requests when you order :)

Do you know what brand the tandoori chicken at walmart is? I'm always excited when I can get pre-made food that's compliant lol.

As for Swiss Chalet. That's usually my go to IF I have to eat out. I get the "Health Check" quarter chicken white (so they remove the skin for you) with steamed veggies or plain salad. I do find that if I eat too much of their salad I get tired of it very quickly. I'm not sure if it's a mental thing or if it's just got that bagged lettuce taste, but too many of their salads leave me never wanting to eat there again lol. But the chicken and steamed veggies are great as they don't butter their veggies. So you don't have to make any sort of special requests when you order :)

I think it's Market Fresh maybe... it's whatever the Walmart deli brand is called. They're the pre-cooked whole chickens they keep heated all day, you'll find them near the deli area somewhere.

Yup, agreed, Swiss Chalet is definitely a great one for hassle-free ordering. Love that it's such an easy option if you have to go out to eat, there's always one around!

I think it's Market Fresh maybe... it's whatever the Walmart deli brand is called. They're the pre-cooked whole chickens they keep heated all day, you'll find them near the deli area somewhere.

Yup, agreed, Swiss Chalet is definitely a great one for hassle-free ordering. Love that it's such an easy option if you have to go out to eat, there's always one around!

Thanks, Lizzie!

I'll have to keep an eye out for it this weekend

Archived