Turkey leg at fair?

mymeow

Hi!  I'm new to this and starting Monday, but trying to plan things in advance.  I know we're going to the Renaissance Festival next weekend and am trying to think of what I can have, if anything.  If I have a turkey leg will I be staying on plan?  I am guessing big pickles are out because I'm thinking there is added sugar?  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help!

• Administrators

Hi meow!  You really just have to ask. Technically a roasted turkey leg should be fine....but if they baste it with brown sugar for that yummy sticky skin then no go.  Or if they marinate it in something that has non compliant ingredients then it's out.  You really just have to ask.  But picking out the turkey leg is a good place to start!

• Administrators

It it's just something brushed on skin, well that's a pretty fine line and a choice I personally think you would have to make.  If the item is marinated then no, based on the idea of a marinade, it would penetrate the meat. 

Since it's a fair, can you bring a cooler and your own food and make it a picnic?

• Moderators

Good idea, I'll mention that to the friends we are going with :)

Even if you don't bring a big cooler with enough for them, you can get personal-sized coolers and take food for yourself. I've even seen some cute coolers that looked like oversized purses -- although if you're going in costume, it would definitely look out of place.

The last time I went to Scarborough Faire, which is the renaissance fair near me, they had a stand with baked sweet potatoes or baked potatoes. They were offering them topped with butter and cinnamon sugar for the sweet potatoes or the traditional butter, sour cream, etc. for the regular potatoes, but I think they added that as they served -- if they had such a stand where you're going, you could get just a plain one of either. But unless the fair has a website with a list of food options, you can't really plan on that being there.

The last time I went to Scarborough, I went with the steak-on-a-stake and a baked potato. I wasn't Whole30-ing at the time, but here's what I found out. The steak-on-a-stake is plain meat added to the grill--no pre-marinading, no added sauces. They do add salt and pepper and maybe another seasoning after it's cooked, but when I spoke to the woman at the booth and advised I had food allergies, she was very quick to offer me plain grilled steak. I opted for salt and pepper. The baked potato was topped to order so a plain potato is no sweat.

I would be leery of turkey legs and willing to bet that, prior to smoking, there's some kind of marinade or curing solution. In a situation like that, removing the skin would not be rid of the offending ingredients.

I would be prepared with a packed cooler in the car. Once you get there, look around at the food options and ask some questions. You may be surprised to find some compliant choices. Worst case scenario, if there's nothing there you can eat, you have a  cooler full of yummy things and you'll still have a nice, full tummy.

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice.  I'm going to do some research online and see if they list their food choices so I can try and prepare ahead, but regardless I'm going to pack myself some snacks and prepare a small cooler just to have on hand.  What do you suggest I pack?  My first thoughts are maybe a hard boiled egg, some cashews, any other suggestions?  Is there a lunch meat that is good on program?

The ONE time I found compliant lunch meat, it was $8 for less than half a pound. I bought it at the time because I had a ridiculous craving for roast beef, but for the most part, the cost isn't worth it for me. Unless it's prosciutto. Prosciutto (which is usually just pork and salt, but read your labels) tends to be more reasonably priced as far as deli meats are concerned.

Archived