How necessary is a pre-WO meal?

kmeyers

I'm starting my W30 tomorrow and I noticed one issue- Pre WO meals.

I typically get up super early and go to the gym for what I consider a light workout that lasts between 40-50 minutes- 10 minutes of cycling, 10 stretching/yoga, 20-30 weights. This is mostly a physical therapy routine for past knee surgery that I continue. I never eat before I go because I feel nauseous while I work out if I've eaten. I make sure I'm hydrated before I leave and after I'm done but too much water also makes me feel sick.

How necessary is it to eat before I go to the gym? I typically eat a small breakfast with plenty of protein once I get home and within an hour of waking up. If I have to eat something, what would be acceptable? I don't want to eat an egg then come home and eat more eggs.

Then come home and have meal 1 made of beef of chicken or another source of protein. ;)

Necessary? That might depend on the individual. It wouldn't be part of the program if it wasn't highly recommended though. Have you tried an egg before the workout? I prefer poached eggs, for me the digest easier, and I'll nom three or so sometimes before a run. It took time to learn what I could eat and when. Same for you.

I suggest trying it, experimenting, and seeing what can work for you. This is a learning process, this is just another aspect of the program you need to try.

I also get up early to workout, and before the Whole30, had nothing but a cup of coffee before leaving the house. My workouts were either a 3-5 mile run or a one hour weight lifting class. However, once I started the Whole30 I WAKE UP HUNGRY, no matter what time it is. I usually just eat a hard boiled egg unless I'm doing a long run, like this morning. I had 10 miles planned, so I had a hb egg and some olives. Try different things, and see what works best for you. Hope all goes well!

Archived