Bit confused how reintroduction works

Bexstoth

Hi all, 

OK, so I understand the reintroduction schedule but I am a bit confused about how the meal template will work post-whole30. At the minute I am eating my palm sized protein, lots of veggies and a bit of fat at each meal. I am becoming a fat-burner and all that since I am not having all the sugar I was before. 

Right, but lets say I reintroduce rice and that goes ok, and oats and I am still having potatoes and sweet potatoes etc. 

So then I will be eating more carbs than I am now, plus the protein (yes?) and the bit of fat and the veggies. 

Wont this mean that the balance is wrong? will I go back to being a carb-burner instead of a fat burner? Will I put on weight? will I need to cut back on the fat? or the protein? 

At the minute I am on day 11 and thinking I would like to reintroduce legumes, rice, oats, corn (as in sweetcorn, not much else). I know that I might feel different come day 31 but I'm just trying to get my head round how it will work. I am trying to lose weight as well as all the NSV stuff so it's important that I dont put weight back on after doing the whole30. 

Thanks!

• Moderators

A template-size meal will remain the same. You would replace potatoes/sweet potatoes (starchy veggies) with rice, oats, corn, etc. Legumes are kind of half protein/half starchy food, so you could replace a bit of protein with legumes and a bit of starchy veggies. The fat portions would remain the same. The foods you are considering bringing back offer less nutritional value per calorie, but the plate would remain in the same ball park. 

Thank you. Like I said, I'm not sure how I will feel in 20 days time but right now, coming from a place of eating lots of veggie/ vegan meals I am still not loving eating meat so often and looking forward to getting the beans back! :) we'll see.

so will I still be fat burning or carb burning?

• Moderators

Thank you. Like I said, I'm not sure how I will feel in 20 days time but right now, coming from a place of eating lots of veggie/ vegan meals I am still not loving eating meat so often and looking forward to getting the beans back! :) we'll see.

so will I still be fat burning or carb burning?

My understanding is that with Whole30, the goal is really to be able to burn either carbs or fat efficiently. If you give your body carbs, apparently those are easiest for it to burn, so that's what it will use.

We can't really answer whether you, personally, will stay fat adapted if you add back in x amount more carbs than you're getting now. Everyone's body is different. This article from Mark's Daily Apple has a little bit of explanation.

Archived