My first Whole30

clammy

I'm trying this out for the first time! I'm on Day 2. I am just trying to clean up my diet and cure my cravings for sugar/refined carbs. I'm at a healthy weight after being underweight, so I'm not trying to lose weight (currently 5'5" and around 110 lbs). I'm also very active - run about 75 miles a week, use a standing desk at work, usually average around 30,000 steps on my Fitbit on a daily basis (could be 40,000-50,000 on weekend when I do my long runs).

Day 1

Breakfast: 1/2 cup egg whites, 1 avocado, 1/2 cup organic cherries

Snack: 1/4 cup raw almonds + 1 cup watermelon

Lunch: 4 oz organic chicken thighs, broccoli, mushrooms sautéed in coconut oil, 1/2 cup organic cherries

Snack: Nick's grass-fed sticks, 1 organic nectarine

Dinner: 2 organic chicken thighs (skin and bone in), shredded cabbage sautéed in coconut oil, 1 cup watermelon

Day 2

Breakfast: 1/2 cup egg whites, 1 avocado, 1/2 cup organic cherries

Snack: 1/4 cup raw almonds, organic nectarine

Lunch: 4 oz organic chicken thigh, broccoli, mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil, 1/2 cup organic cherries

Snack: Nick's grass-fed sticks, 1 cup watermelon

Dinner (planned): 2 roasted organic chicken thighs (skin and bone in), shredded cabbage sautéed in coconut oil

Thoughts...I eat a lot of the same foods but I work full-time and meal prep ahead of time so that's what I've got prepared for this week. I may try to roast some sweet potatoes to add to dinner tonight.

I think I need to add some more carbs? Sweet potatoes? I'm not sure this was enough for my current level of activity. Am I eating too much fruit? I just love summer fruit (stone fruits, watermelon).

Oh...and I don't think I'm supposed to be snacking. I bought and read the book (It Starts With Food) ... but I find it so hard. Maybe I just need to eat bigger meals? I'm FULL after each meal - I'm just hungry again about 2 hours later.

OH and I probably need to explain the egg whites ... I eat and cook breakfast at work so I get a carton of egg whites to put in my office fridge. I microwave them. I'm just finishing a carton now and then will go to buying organic eggs and cooking those whole. And now that I'm looking at my log typed out, I definitely think I eat too much fruit....tomorrow, I'm going to limit myself to 2 servings. I think I need to add more carbs (sweet potatoes) to my meals to fill up on rather than fruit.

• Moderators

You do definitely need to eat more.

Follow the meal template for every meal. That means 1-2 palm-size portions of protein, as in the length, width, and depth of your hand, or if eggs are your only source of protein, the serving size is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand. Eat the whole egg, not just the whites. Have 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat (or 1/2-1 whole avocado, or a heaping handful of olives or coconut flakes, or a small handful of nuts), not counting your cooking fat as it mostly stays in the pan and isn't consumed. Fill the plate with vegetables -- as in at least one cup, and preferably more like 2-3, and if you have raw leafy greens as your only vegetable, probably even more as they tend to break down to nothing as you eat and won't keep you satisfied as long. Have fruit occasionally, not more than twice a day, but you don't ever have to eat any. Most people benefit from having a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable (sweet potato, potato, winter squashes (butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash, for example), root vegetables (turnip, rutabaga, carrot, beets), jicama, plantain, or pumpkin. People prone to depression or anxiety, people who are very active, and women who are nursing, pregnant, or in the week leading up to their period often find they need more.

Ideally, your meals will keep you satiated for 4-5 hours between meals without snacking. If you find that they're not, you need to work on making your meals bigger, but if you cannot eat that much at first, if you're truly hungry between meals, have a mini-meal of at least some protein and fat, and preferably also some vegetables.  One way you might work on this is to plate up a full template-sized meal, eat as much as you can, eating evenly from the protein, fat, and vegetables so there's some of each left, and when you're full, wrap it up and set it aside, and when you're hungry again, finish that plate of food. Over time, you will more than likely eat more at your initial meal and need less later.

Thanks so much for your help, Shannon. I did so much better on Day 3!

Day 3

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 whole avocado, 1/2 cup organic cherries

Lunch: organic chicken thighs (2, skinless and boneless), roasted sweet potato in coconut oil, sauteed broccoli and mushrooms in coconut oil

Dinner: organic chicken thighs, broccoli and mushrooms in coconut oil

I didn't have any snacks and only 1 serving of fruit. I know my meals are repetitive but it works for me right now during a busy week at work. I think it helps that I'm so busy, but I haven't had any cravings and I wasn't hungry yesterday either (so no snacking). Dinner was a little light (I only had one chicken thigh left) but I really loaded up on the veggies at both lunch and dinner.

Looking good. I am having fruit with my breakfast and lunch. Fresh strawberries and watermelon in the summer are my fave. I try to keep it to 1/4 cup in the morning with strawberries (about 3 cut up), and then a cup a watermelon at lunch.  I eat it while I eat everything else, so I I think I am good there. I won't eat it in the winter, but summertime for sure!

Day 4 was pretty good!

Breakfast-eggs, avocado (a whole one), 1/2 cup cherries

Lunch-salad greens, an avocado, grilled chicken breast

Dinner-two chicken thighs (bone on and skin in), roasted sweet potato in coconut oil, cabbage and broccoli sautéed in coconut oil; a few cubes of watermelon

I felt great on Day 4 and really no temptations. I baked some cookies for a friend's birthday and did not feel too compelled to have any.

Day 5!

Breakfast- eggs, avocado, organic cherries

Lunch-chicken thigh, sweet potato in coconut oil, cabbage and broccoli stir fry, 1 organic peach

Dinner- salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado and chicken.

Today went well, no real cravings except for peaches and cherries! I bought some gorgeous organic peaches today. I know to limit fruit but I truly love it and want to enjoy what is in season right now. Still kept it to 2 servings today and ate with my meals. Also didn't snack. Day 6 tomorrow, going to a cookout. I will stick with a plain hamburger patty wrapped in lettuce with tomato and avocado.

Day 6

I haven't been mentioning it in my daily log, but I run every day. I'll start including my mileage for my workouts. I also walk my dogs 1-2 miles a day on top of it and in general, walk a lot. I mention this because I am not sure I am eating enough. I am not trying to lose weight, as I am already pretty thin, and am certain I have been losing a little this week while on the Whole30. I feel like I am eating a ton of fat (enough) and protein. I'll start including my portion sizes in more detail too.

I ran 10 miles first thing this morning.

Breakfast - coffee with 2 T coconut milk (the cream from the top of the can), diced organic yukon gold potato fried in EVOO (1/2 tablespoon), 3 scrambled eggs in coconut oil (1 tsp), 1 organic peach

Lunch - wild salmon (3 oz) with 1 small avocado, 1 organic peach

Dinner (at a cookout with friends) - plain hamburger patty wrapped in lettuce with tomato and avocado. A few slices of watermelon. I know..this put me over the limit of 2 servings of fruit. But my options were limited and I was still hungry. Only one patty was grilled for me completely plain without seasoning, and the seasoning on all the other burger patties had sugar in it. There were only two avocados (albeit, rather large ones) sliced for about 16 of us so I couldn't load up on that either.

Thoughts - I feel good. I have always been a healthy eater (always ate tons of veggies and lean meats) so I don't think that the Whole30 is as drastic as for some people. However, I found myself treating myself way too much to treats lately (dessert on a daily basis! ice cream was a huge crutch for me) which is why I wanted to do this. I think I have been too busy to miss any of the foods I was trying to get off of. They're off-limits, so I move on and don't think about it too much. I'm super busy at work, I'm busy at home, so I am just choosing not to focus too much on what I can't have. I do miss rice (my favorite carb - I'm Asian!).

Tomorrow is my long run day - I usually go somewhere around 20 miles. I won't have Nuun as I usually do, just plain water. For fuel, I packed a half of a Larabar  (cashew cookie, only ingredients are dates and cashews) - is that okay? I can't run 20 miles without any fuel at all  (I usually use Gatorade Gu Chomps but those are obviously off limits). I know they are as close to candy as can be on the plan, but I am not sure what my alternatives are. The thought of eating beef jerky or meat while running pretty much disgusts the heck out of me.

Day 7

I went on my long run this morning (on an empty stomach, always I start at 4:30 am on the weekends, 4:00 am on the weekdays and there's no way I am cooking, eating and digesting a meal at 3:00 am) and just had water. It was fine. I was hungry when I got back so I had M1 right away. I've been running for 20 years and although I know when I fuel during a run, I stay stronger during it, but I was nowhere near bonking or hitting a wall during my 20 miles today on 0 fuel.

M1: two chicken thighs (BL and SL), a whole avocado, a sweet potato roasted in coconut oil, an organic peach

M2: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, organic potato roasted in coconut oil, organic canteloupe

M3: homemade beef stew (grass fed beef, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes) with cabbage and broccoli stirfried in coconut oil

The beef stew was AWESOME..I will serve it with rice for my husband but I'm perfectly happy eating it plain. And so few ingredients! I think spending the $16 on the high quality grass fed beef made a huge difference. All the other veggies in it are also organic so I feel 100% good about eating it. I can't wait to make more. I think it was good for me to eat something with more variety than what I had during my first week (lots of chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, and cabbage - every day). I still had 2 servings of fruit today but with how much I run, I hope that it is okay to have that natural sugar. I don't feel that it is making me crave more sugar. I baked cookies today (I own a small cookie business) and didn't feel at all like having one. I feel like I'm enjoying high quality, organic, in-season fruit while it is available (I love apples in the fall too!).

I have to meet a friend today for a meal but I filled up on M3 early so that when we get to the restaurant, I will just have a completely plain side salad (romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber). Nothing wrong with eating more veggies, right? :) Luckily, I rarely eat out but I can make it work on the occasion that I have to!

Day 8

7 miles run; will have walked another 4-5 miles (just at work and walking the dogs, my daily total mileage is usually about 13 miles) by the end of the day.

M1: 1 chicken thigh (too little bit but it's all I had), whole avocado

M2: stuck at a work meeting and was only able to eat lettuce and tomato off of a taco bar. No meat, no fat. The meat was already seasoned and I knew it was likely not complaint. No guacamole was available as a topping. So..yeah, ate a pile of lettuce topped with some diced tomatoes. I had some macadamia nuts in my purse so I ate those.

M3: homemade beef stew, green beans (steamed and then tossed with EVOO), strawberries and blueberries (organic)

So M2 was definitely not great - I should have packed something, but I was at a work function that was catered and I really did not want to make a spectacle of eating my own food. I know .. I should have gotten over it instead of starving, but I just wanted to make it work with what I could find there. At least I didn't go off plan, and then I was rewarded with my amazing beef stew for M3. 

Day 9

M1: eggs, avocado, strawberries

M2: chicken thigh, sweet potato roasted in coconut oil, cabbage and broccoli, watermelon

M3: homemade beef stew

I'm a little cranky over the Whole30 today .. at last..I read in the Whole30 timeline that Days 10-11 are very hard. I just really want a slice of pizza or a cookie. But I'm not going to do it!!

Thanks, MeGA gardener!

I'm keeping the fruit at really reasonable portions. I can't help it - the summer fruit is my favorite and I genuinely love it. I just can't miss out on my favorite things this summer. I'm going to keep it at only 2 servings a day! I don't have sugar cravings. It is more a texture thing - i wanted some crunchy, salty chips ... but I'm good. Today has been great, no temptations at all. I think I was just SUPER tired yesterday - not a lot of sleep and a little bit stressed. I think that I wanted to emotionally eat, but I talked myself out of it.

Day 10

Workout: So far, 8 miles run and 3 miles walked. Another couple of miles will be put in by the end of the day.

M1: 3 eggs, 1 whole avocado, organic blueberries

M2: pork tenderloin, cabbage and zucchini stirfried in coconut oil, organic strawberries

M3: (planned, not eaten yet) chicken drumsticks, cabbage stirfried with coconut oil, maybe 1/2 avocado too.

Day 11

M1: egg whites, chicken, avocado

M2: chicken, avocado, cabbage, broccoli

M3: chicken, cabbage

7 miles run, 6 miles walked during the day

Feel good! Lots of chicken..no fruit today (bc I just didn't have any on hand). Luckily, I'm not too bored of it. I'm hosting brunch tomorrow and got myself some sugar free bacon.

Forgot to check in yesterday!

Day 12

10 miles run in the morning, 5 more walked during the day

M1 & 2: hosted brunch for friends; ate sugar free bacon (that I cooked just for myself, everyone else ate normal bacon), scrambled eggs in ghee, some organic berries

M3: went out with the husband, ate a salad that had lettuce, cabbage, cucumbers, carrots and chicken. ate it plain. Nothing special but it did the trick.

Day 13

15 miles run in the morning, will walk another 5-6 at this point

M1: scrambled eggs in coconut oil, sugar free bacon, avocado, organic berries

M2: skipped (sorry..not hungry and busy doing chores)

M3: chicken thigh, broccoli, mushroom, cabbage stirfried in coconut oil, a little bit of watermelon

Are you eating pre and post workout meals that are mentioned on the template? I ask because you say you don't want to lose any weight. I am a runner too, and I have been eating just one hard boiled egg before my run and a few bites of chicken and sweet potato within 30 min after.

Archived